Carbon monoxide alarm

jenevers

Featured Posts

Not just your own systems either. Could be someone's genny exhaust fumes wafting in a window while you have a nap. I just have an outboard, no gas or electrical systems. Ventilation, fire extinguisher, fuel storage and the CO detector were basically the only checks needed for its BSS cert. 

15 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Is one necessary on a boat using diesel heating only?

We don't have a solid fuel fire and the BSS Chappy wanted 3 alarms (1 in each cabin)

We have Eberspacher diesel heating and gas in the Galley.

Presumably you also have a diesel engine which could send fumes back into the cabin.

We had a battery develop an internal short and the gas set off the CO alarm - the battery was untouchably hot, another hour or two and it could have explode.

Why wouldn't you spend £20 and get a decent alarm, it could save your life and / or your boat.

42 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Presume you still have gas for cooking?

Nope.

39 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Not just your own systems either. Could be someone's genny exhaust fumes wafting in a window while you have a nap. I just have an outboard, no gas or electrical systems. Ventilation, fire extinguisher, fuel storage and the CO detector were basically the only checks needed for its BSS cert. 

good point.

Diesel engines still produce some CO, particularly if poorly adjusted, although a lot less than burning gas / solid fuel / petrol.   I think something like an exhaust leaking into an unventilated confined space could conceivably produce enough to be fatal.   If you are running your diesel heating when moored up I would get a CO alarm.  (As well as a heat/smoke alarm).

Going off topic ever so slightly. We have the Fire Angel CO 9D carbon monoxide detector. Had it over five years. Still okay. No warning lights indicating low battery etc. 

So, looking to replace.

What’s the general opinion of best detector for boat use.

We like the one we have. £17 or there abouts so may be a goodun!   

16 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Going off topic ever so slightly. We have the Fire Angel CO 9D carbon monoxide detector. Had it over five years. Still okay. No warning lights indicating low battery etc. 

So, looking to replace.

What’s the general opinion of best detector for boat use.

We like the one we have. £17 or there abouts so may be a goodun!   

Get a ISO "Part 2" version the 'Part 1' are for fixed installations, the part 2 are for boats and caravans

I seem to remember a list of suppliers on the BSS website