Can you have a window in a shower cubicle ?

Featured Posts

As much as I try to reshape/redesign my bathroom, I keep coming back to what seems to be the simplest/easiest thing to do.

But that means because of the location of a small window, the window would be inside the shower cubicle. Is this a bad idea ?

I personally wouldn't care as it is frosted, not sure how female visitors would feel.

A quick wipe down of the window sill after showering would sort it.

Thoughts ?

4 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

As much as I try to reshape/redesign my bathroom, I keep coming back to what seems to be the simplest/easiest thing to do.

But that means because of the location of a small window, the window would be inside the shower cubicle. Is this a bad idea ?

I personally wouldn't care as it is frosted, not sure how female visitors would feel.

Thoughts ?

We have a frosted window in our wet room bathroom. No issues really...if people want to look in that’s there business! My OH who was female last time I looked is fine with it. 

1 hour ago, NewCanalBoy said:

That might depend on how often she cames to visit, if she doesn't visit often and wasn't sure whether or not out side could actually see in then she might not feel particularly comfortable at all but if she was used to it and was aware of the privacy level then she might be fine with it. 

I have a frosted glass window in front of my shower and I went out into the garden to check the transparency so I don't mind mine but I wouldn't instantly trust a window I didn't know. Though it shouldn't really be such an issue if showering in day light as apposed to night time. 

Not all frosted glass is the same and what might seem fine in daylight can get pretty transparent to anybody out side when it's very dark out and you have a very bright LED light inside. 

image.png.747bacd58a0578ebb432cd47e45d6ccd.png

Edited by Tumshie

3 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

I used to have a neighbour who had a mushroom vent in his shower room, the vent had a solar panel built into the top, that powered a small extractor fan.

I have a vent with a fan (in my shower) which I never use.  I always shower before going to bed and the fan though not particularly noisy is too loud for sleeping, and just being on whilst showering has no noticeable effect. I have no openable window and have not had any trouble with condensation until recently when I replaced my stove with a Webasto.

20 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It seems  a particularly British thing - being uptight about  nudity .

Perhaps one of the reasons the Brits never have felt integrated with the rest of the world.

Both me & the OH are fine with it...according to her when she’s been to the gym/swimming etc she gets odd looks as she just gets undressed/dressed...while  others struggle with towels to “hide”...maybe it’s a woman thing?? 

On 30/01/2020 at 20:47, NewCanalBoy said:

Thoughts ?

Frosted glass story...

Sat on the bank with a neighbour moaning about the world and we saw a hire boat passenger fail to make the leap from boat to bank, anyway after the normal kerfuffle she was fine but very wet and embarrassed.

So we took up our seats again as the hire boat passed, the lady obviously taking a shower because as she passed she pressed her err front against the frosted glass, which gave us a full view of her assets,  clear as day.

We did make the chap steering aware of the issue, amused him no end

39 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Frosted glass story...

Sat on the bank with a neighbour moaning about the world and we saw a hire boat passenger fail to make the leap from boat to bank, anyway after the normal kerfuffle she was fine but very wet and embarrassed.

So we took up our seats again as the hire boat passed, the lady obviously taking a shower because as she passed she pressed her err front against the frosted glass, which gave us a full view of her assets,  clear as day.

We did make the chap steering aware of the issue, amused him no end

I guess some people are more comfortable with nudity & their own body than others. Sadly we do seem very hung up about it here....we used to go regularly to naturist swims etc and it’s lovely to see people of all ages & sizes happy with their bodies and not judging others. 

Sadly it’s seen as something dirty when you mention it to others in the UK...I think it’s one thing our continental cousins have right! 

Edited by frangar

19 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

I used to have a neighbour who had a mushroom vent in his shower room, the vent had a solar panel built into the top, that powered a small extractor fan.

I have an extractor fan in the bathroom mushroom vent. Not solar though. Manrose 12v type with a small light inside.

Any reasonable grown up can find ways to avoid exposing themselves. 

I'd be more concerned about how manky the window surround would get. I looked at some boats when buying which had wooden framed windows in/near shower areas and they were pretty universally grotty. They'll be times you/her don't have time and inclination to wipe the whole blinking lot after a shower.

If you have to what about a completely treated metal framed porthole? 

I have opening ones of those in the new head and the shape /surface means condensation drains better than in any of my other windows (or wood framed portholes). Mine are frosted. 

Edited to add: if starting from scratch I'd find a way to have a mini bath with shower over like old boat. Or even just a super-duper tray. More peaceful / foot soak friendly for the laydees.

And good for washing dogs in.  

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat
  • Greenie 1

Thanks for your replies.

Just to clarify - I already have a frosted window in the bathroom. But it would end up within the shower cubicle.

Personally wasn't bothered about the modesty issue.

More the damp/condensation issue around the wooden frame.

Clearly not too much to worry about if I wipe down/have ventilation.

Honestly, @NewCanalBoy, whilst all the 'lads' on here got distracted by hypothetical 'naked ladies'... you might want to re-think. As I (now) understand it you already have a boat with wooden window frame/frosted glass in head and are remodelling the existing bathroom rather than starting from scratch so window is (for all remotely practical purposes) a fixed point? Is there a shower on board now which doesn't clash with the window? Are you anywhere near one of the big marinas where you could go and have a look at what happens to boats with windows in the cublicle itself (as opposed to just in the same room which I think is how some posters read your question?).

At very least I'd consider new varnish/paint on frame and a waterproof blind/shower curtain. Any wood that is regularly showered is going to change colour (to white or black, possibly with nice hints of green) - so, may was well pick a new colour to start with that can be changed / maintained regularly.

If you're worried about  water pooling  on the windowsill you can attach some acrylic glass  using double sided Velcro masking the whole window off whilst the shower is in use . We had that set up in a sailboat worked really well.