Why is my boat green?

blackrose

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

so why don't you answer a perfectly reasonable question instead of telling me I'm 'wrong'    

What question?  The one about storm drains? Because it’s irrelevant. Our drive doesn’t drain into a storm drain. You know what they say about the word “assume” don’t you?

59 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes :)

From the drive only. 

Severn Trent organised it in that way for very good reasons. 

probly 'cos they know that the scrotes who live in that street will insist on dumping noxious substances on their front drives.

it wouldn't happen where I live.  :P

I can not think that a product designed to be sent down the foul water drain is any more harmfull to the environment than other domestic washing powder( Bio washing powder). Could be that anybody with a washing machine on their boat runs it into their grey water and thence into the canal. However,I am not an expert in these matters.  As an aside, it might be a good idea to test whichever product on a small area of the boats paintwork first,to make sure it does not react with the paint.

1 hour ago, nebulae said:

As an aside, it might be a good idea to test whichever product on a small area of the boats paintwork first,to make sure it does not react with the paint.

How on earth is your average boater going to test that? It's difficult enough for the coating manufacturers to test accelerated environmental exposure to things like washing powder so how the heck would your average Joe do it?

If you regularly moor under trees when out and about they may have dropped some spores on your roof, these would multiply in the weather conditions of the last few months and work their way downwards. As others have said a detergent may be to blame, some are loaded with salts that have chemistry in common with fertiliser.