Why is my boat green?

blackrose

Featured Posts

Why does my boat have a layer of green algae or moss all over it when none of the other boats nearby are growing it?

It's also on the new paintwork that I applied last summer so it can't be anything to do with old paint being a better (or worse) growth substrate.

It's true I never clean my boat, I just don't have time, but I never see anyone else cleaning their's either. Not sure if you can see it in this photo. Anyway I gotta get the pressure washer out this weekend.

IMG_20200130_143749_5~2.jpg

I don't really know - but

mine has a similar colour scheme - cream on the roof and blue mostly elsewhere.

The boat in front of you also has a cream roof (sort of) and it has the same affliction, though to a lesser extent.

Could it be due to something to do with light absorption - creating more suitable environment for the algae?

Otherwise I don't have a clue...

It might depend what they all wash their boats with. l've noticed when washing with different products (one in one place then run out and wash the rest with something else) that the green cames back quicker with one wash but not the other; that was with a plastic boat but the green was all the same stuff. 

The Co-oP used to do a floor wipe cloth that was brilliant, after I first noticed this I did a little experiment where I cleaned a very specific patch with a Co-oP floor wipe and then left it, the patch I cleaned with the wipe stayed not-green for much longer than the area that was cleaned at the same time but with something else - can't remember what the something else was now. 

I know, I know you can't clean your whole boat with floor wipes but I just thought it was interesting; they're very good for nooks and bits though.

8 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I know, I know you can't clean your whole boat with floor wipes but I just thought it was interesting; they're very good for nooks a̶n̶d̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ and crannies.

Corrected that for you

Edited by rusty69
  • Happy 1

25 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Why does my boat have a layer of green algae or moss all over it when none of the other boats nearby are growing it?

It's also on the new paintwork that I applied last summer so it can't be anything to do with old paint being a better (or worse) growth substrate.

It's true I never clean my boat, I just don't have time, but I never see anyone else cleaning their's either. Not sure if you can see it in this photo. Anyway I gotta get the pressure washer out this weekend.

IMG_20200130_143749_5~2.jpg

Ours is like that at the moment, its a bit odd as it wasnt like it last winter and we are moored in the same place. It will get its yearly wash in march or april and will come off.

9 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

It might depend what they all wash their boats with. l've noticed when washing with different products (one in one place then run out and wash the rest with something else) that the green cames back quicker with one wash but not the other; that was with a plastic boat but the green was all the same stuff. 

Good point. When we were caravanning I used to finish off the wash with a rinse aid called ‘Bobby Dazzler’ from Fenwicks. It would keep the green (and black streaks) away for 6 months. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283019776095

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ours is like that at the moment, its a bit odd as it wasnt like it last winter and we are moored in the same place. It will get its yearly wash in march or april and will come off.

Very damp winter?

Edited by WotEver
Shortened the quote

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Good point. When we were caravanning I used to finish off the wash with a rinse aid called ‘Bobby Dazzler’ from Fenwicks. It would keep the green (and black streaks) away for 6 months. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283019776095

Very damp winter?

I was thinking precisely that. Its certainly the wettest I can recall in 31 living aboard. It is also one of the mildest I can recall and I was thinking that the mild and wet will have done this??

39 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I was thinking precisely that. Its certainly the wettest I can recall in 31 living aboard. It is also one of the mildest I can recall and I was thinking that the mild and wet will have done this??

I agree.  Our tarmac yard and drive has been green since November - first time in 25 years living here.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

I don't really know - but

mine has a similar colour scheme - cream on the roof and blue mostly elsewhere.

The boat in front of you also has a cream roof (sort of) and it has the same affliction, though to a lesser extent.

Could it be due to something to do with light absorption - creating more suitable environment for the algae?

Otherwise I don't have a clue...

But it's all over the grey decks too. I'm slowly repainting and changing the decks from cream to grey. Roof to be done this summer.

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Has it also been quite a warm winter down in Englandshire? We've had some exceptionally warm days, reaching temps of about 14C several days in a row at one point. 

Warmest I can remember in this neck of the woods and certainly the wettest.

We have a big problem with moss and green algae covering our farmyard.  It is tarmacked and cost a lot of money and the moss actualy eats the tarmac.  I happened to come across a You Tube video posted by an Irish lady.  She sprinkled Biological washing powder across the moss.  Nothing to lose,I sprinkled Lidle Bio washing powder over the affected areas. Worked a treat. Moss has not come back yet. Might work on a boat.  Jumbo box cost a fiver.

2 minutes ago, nebulae said:

We have a big problem with moss and green algae covering our farmyard.  It is tarmacked and cost a lot of money and the moss actualy eats the tarmac.  I happened to come across a You Tube video posted by an Irish lady.  She sprinkled Biological washing powder across the moss.  Nothing to lose,I sprinkled Lidle Bio washing powder over the affected areas. Worked a treat. Moss has not come back yet. Might work on a boat.  Jumbo box cost a fiver.

I’ll give that a try on our green drive :)

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Soda crystals will also kill it off, I don't know for sure but it might come back quicker than if you used the bio powder but it would be more environmentally friendly in the long run. Just an option. 

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

Soda crystals will also kill it off, I don't know for sure but it might come back quicker than if you used the bio powder but it would be more environmentally friendly in the long run. Just an option. 

Our drive drains straight into Severn Trent’s pipes so it won’t affect any natural water courses. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Weird

Not 5 minutes ago I opened an e mail from a friend with a link to a y tube video of someone treating their moss ridden tarmac drive with bio washing powder. I am going to give it a try . Less fuss than mixing and spraying Wet and Forget. 

35 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

and where do you suppose the 'storm drains' (as opposed to the foul drains) discharge to ?

oh. I forgot, there is magic at work.  :rolleyes:

Oh, you know all about our sewage piping in our close do you?  Suffice to say that you’re wrong. 

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Oh, you know all about our sewage piping in our close do you?  Suffice to say that you’re wrong. 

so why don't you answer a perfectly reasonable question instead of telling me I'm 'wrong'     (the only statement I mad is that there is magic at work ........... do you not believe in magic?   it requires a certain element of faith but there you go .............................  :D  )