Plastic thread sealent or bonder?

Tessy

Featured Posts

I've got an inflatable plastimo plastic water tank that is almost new and slightly damaged threads on inlet and outlet holes. No amount of PTFE tape stops leakage. I would like to get some use out of the tank as something to keep in my dingy for occasional top-up. 

What product can I use as a permanent thread sealent and gluefor this thread fitting? 

1580391004882778060079.jpg

There is an o-ring. The threads are buggered. Sealent or pipe dope seems to be the way to go. Solvent based would melt the threads? Anyone recommend a product that will seal as well as glue? 

I should add that the threads are doing that thing where if you keep tightening, it eventually pops and just goes round and round. So permanent fixing would be ideal 

7 minutes ago, Tessy said:

There is an o-ring. The threads are buggered. 

The threads are buggered because you have overtightened the nut trying to get a seal. The seal is meant to be between the part of the fitting attached to the tank and the part inserted in the end of the pipe, with the O-ring there to achieve this. If it wouldn't seal with the nut hand tight, then either the O-ring was displaced, the faces in the fittings that the O-ring seals against were damaged, or the pipe was constrained so that the fitting wouldn't pull up straight and square.

Since the thread is now buggered, you would be better advised to try gluing the pipe part directly into the tank part. Try a two part epoxy like Araldite. You will need to roughen the surfaces to get a key. And if the fittings are polyethylene or polypropylene, then probably nothing will stick very well. 

14 minutes ago, Tessy said:

There is an o-ring. The threads are buggered. Sealent or pipe dope seems to be the way to go. Solvent based would melt the threads? Anyone recommend a product that will seal as well as glue? 

I should add that the threads are doing that thing where if you keep tightening, it eventually pops and just goes round and round. So permanent fixing would be ideal 

I’d try a liberal coating of silicone such that it squidges out everywhere when you tighten the nut. Tighten it as far as you dare then leave it alone until the silicone sets.

Or Araldite as David suggests above, but silicone will allow for a little movement. 

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

... or the pipe was constrained so that the fitting wouldn't pull up straight and square.

You are correct about this. The inlet hose is very rigid hose, and as the tank fills and empties it pulls the union at various angles. Any ideas as to how I can arrange this so it pulls up straight and square? You'd think there would be some installation recommendations...

Otherwise thanks all, I think stixall has the best shot of working so I'll get some tomorrow 

14 minutes ago, Tessy said:

Any ideas as to how I can arrange this so it pulls up straight and square?

Get some hose that is more flexible. Ours used to do the same. The pipe was hard and rigid, I got some flexible stuff that moved with the tank.

Edited by rusty69

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

I use that stuff for everything but it's more like a fiver a tube.

Crikey, yes! I've just checked and the cheeky monkeys at Toolstation want £5.81 a tube!  Next day from Amazon at £4.21, but it doesn't matter cos the idea fell on deaf ears anyway. Tis good stuff though, isn't it - 4 x 1" squares bond each of my solar panels to the roof very effectively.