Pru & Tim hand over the baton..

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Tim and Pru have charmed, and sometimes infuriated, the nation for several years on their waterways journeys. One constant throughout the programmes has been their obvious unswerving devotion to each other. I hope they have some happy and peaceful years ahead of them.

(After I had typed this I realised that "unswerving" might be a questionable choice of adjective, bearing in mind Tim's steering style. The choice of word was unintentional for a change).

My better half and I are interested in a new role. Just saying!

Boat ownership for just 17-18 years. Married for coming up to 46 years. I can, and sometime do, bump into things. There is a slight difference though, if I set of with boat lines still attached to land, it’s my fault.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Haha 1

It will be interesting to see how the series develops with new presenters. Tim & Pru certainly brought lots of the stories back to their own early years. Maybe the new presenters will be more in-depth about the canal history?

I think its great that C4 obviously want to keep it going, must be popular?  I suppose its called 'slow TV' these days?

12 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

It will be interesting to see how the series develops with new presenters. Tim & Pru certainly brought lots of the stories back to their own early years. Maybe the new presenters will be more in-depth about the canal history?

I think its great that C4 obviously want to keep it going, must be popular?  I suppose its called 'slow TV' these days?

I can’t accept that this continuation with new content personnel is neither necessary nor welcome. It won’t work. Like five go barging, stupid TV.   

Canal history is for other programmes. 

35 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Ooh got a bit excited there for a mo, I read the title and thought they might be handing on the baton to their son Samual West, I rather like him. Very sad about Pru though. 

Samuel West and Samuel Anderson do the best ad for a tv licence as well. I agree about Pru.

3 hours ago, dor said:

I find it almost impossible to watch anything with Gyles B in it.  Never understood his appeal, or how Chester voted him in as their MP.

Some say that there are some constituencies where you could pin an appropriately coloured rosette on a monkey, and it would win.

(After I had typed this I realised that "monkey" might be a questionable choice - let's see what happens :) 

Edited by Richard10002

6 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Some say that there are some constituencies where you could pin an appropriately coloured rosette on a monkey, and it would win.

(After I had typed this I realised that "monkey" might be a questionable choice - let's see what happens :) 

My uncle was a labour councilor in a fairly blue Chester council, does that count, him being a monkies uncle 

:)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

imageonline-co-overlayed-image.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Can you really replace the two of them and have the same perspective? Personally I don’t think so. How many years of married bliss and boating have Giles and Shiela had? 

I can only think that Giles and Shiela are cheaper than other more suitable people.

• Haha 1

I rather like Giles Brandreth and never really fully appreciated Tim. Takes all sorts, eh?  :)

Anyway, Tim is going to show Giles the ropes, so I expect he'll soon be  similar calibre of helmsman. As long as Shiela doesn't mind taking the blame for everything, I'm sure the series will be just as (insert your own Tim and Pru assessment here).

I can’t see this having the same appeal as Tim and Pru, even putting aside my prejudice against Gyles  B.

With Tim and Pru, you had people with 30+ years experience of boating with a genuine love of the canals, their history and the culture that goes with it. Gyles  and Sheila?

I just see it as more akin to the ‘5 go barging’ style. Whilst this might be popular with the celebrity culture members, I see it as being infuriating to real boaters.

Much as I like Tim/Pru they did talk an awful lot about themselves and their early days - not necessarily canal related. it will be interesting to see how a new *couple present this..

* I'm assuming they are not an actual 'couple' of have I missed something?

I have to say I will miss Tim and Pru. Tim was a bit bumpy and a bit grumpy but he was still likeable and interesting, Pru was so lovely, she seemed to perfectly combine her wonderful etherial quality from being and artist and thespian with her down to earth just get on with it practicality. She was always quite spritely while having a little mumble about old age catching up with her. I can understand why experienced boaters found them difficult to watch sometimes but of all the narrowboat programmes I've seen off the tele their was for me definitely the best by a long shot. 

I do hope that even though they are giving up the series they won't be giving up their own boat.

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Giles Brandreth

Oh at last his full name - I was beginning to think I'd have to click on a dreaded dailymail link. I've just had a search for our new host Giles Brandreth and I'm thoroughly disappointed. ?

Edited by Tumshie

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The best series Tim made on the system was that one that seemed to be based round Birmingham many years ago. It wandered round digital channels for a bit then disappeared. Can't remember what it was called - no doubt someone can. 

Waterworld ??