Need to decide, help wanted!!

swdish canal fan

Featured Posts

HI Boaters

I have been asked by friends and family to arrange a new boating holiday in England. (done Wales and Scotland) 

For 4 of us this will be our 5 trip. and for 4 others are doing this for the first time.

We have done alot of boating around Chester-Birmigham-Stoke area and are now looking for a new area to discover.

The trip will be one week. maybe 10 nigths but it migth be pushing it for the newcomers....

i would love to do a ring so any suggestions on ring dueabel in one wekk would be greatly appriciated.

If not a ring i would wish for a strech of canal (out and return) that has nice small towns and pubs alng so you dont have to stop at the same place going back as going out. and offcourse lovely scenory but that availbal almost anywere in the country side of England.

and last if you know any great hier comanies along the suggested route would also be great.

so bring me your gems ?

Best regards

Tom

You mention Birmingham, but depending on what you have done before the Warwickshire ring might appeal, that is possible in a weeks hire.

Alternatively how about the Avon ring, if you have 10 days that would be possible.  As that includes the rivers Avon and Severn which can go into flood that plan would only make sense if you were doing the trip in the summer when the rivers should be fine.

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, swdish canal fan said:

john6767

Thanks for the tip on the warwickshier ring. i will look in to that one.

would you say that it is a ruarl or urban suronding on it?

The Warwickshire ring is a mix, you have the urban part through Birmingham.  You have 2 ways you can go through Birmingham, the true Warwickshire ring route is all the way up the Grand Union canal to Salford junction and the the Birmingham & Fazeley canal.  The alternate is to go into the centre of Birmingham, via the North Stratford, Worcester & Birmingham, and the out on the Birmingham and Fazeley.  If you look at a map it will be obvious.  Going into the centre of Birmingham has more urban, and has more locks so a harder work in a week but possible, and well worth the effort.  Which ever way you go it is mostly urban, and a very popular hire route from the hire bases around the Warwick/Napton/Braunston/Rugby areas.  As it a ring it does not matter that much where you start from on the ring.

10 hours ago, john6767 said:

You mention Birmingham, but depending on what you have done before the Warwickshire ring might appeal, that is possible in a weeks hire.

Alternatively how about the Avon ring, if you have 10 days that would be possible.  As that includes the rivers Avon and Severn which can go into flood that plan would only make sense if you were doing the trip in the summer when the rivers should be fine.

I second John’s advice. The Warwickshire Ring is full of variety both in the surroundings and the canals.

Seven days via the route that skirts Birmingham is a routine hire trip but give it 10 days and the option to visit and moor in central Birmingham really should be taken. There would also be time to visit Coventry or perhaps go into Braunston rather than scoot straight past. Or otherwise just stretch it out so the newbies in the crew don’t feel rushed.

The Avon Ring is very picturesque and if you choose that and the river levels are too high the Warwickshire Ring can be back up if you choose a suitable hire base such as ABC at Alvechurch. The Avon Ring really is a 10 day trip to be sensible.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

On 30/01/2020 at 10:43, OldGoat said:

What about the Thames -

From Oxford up to Lechlade and down to, say. reading and return.

It's a bit like a very wide canal, but with some water flow...

Seconded. Beautiful run up to Lechlade, boat performs much better than on a ditch and some good stops up and back.

On 30/01/2020 at 13:04, john6767 said:

The Warwickshire ring ...

....  Which ever way you go it is mostly urban, and a very popular hire route from the hire bases around the Warwick/Napton/Braunston/Rugby areas.  As it a ring it does not matter that much where you start from on the ring.

This could be misinterpreted.  It is just the bit into/out of Birmingham that is "mostly urban", and you will need at least one night somewhere in that stretch.  Apart from those one-two days it is more countryside, than urban.   And while you pass through or near to a number of towns and villages, they don't particularly intrude.  There are some interesting places to visit: Warwick (for history), Braunston (for canal life), Drayton Manor theme park (if you have children), Kingsbury Water Park (for birdwatchers).  With 10 days you could also include some side trips away from the Ring, e.g into Coventry, up the Ashby, to Napton etc.

40 minutes ago, Cheese said:

This could be misinterpreted.  It is just the bit into/out of Birmingham that is "mostly urban", and you will need at least one night somewhere in that stretch.  Apart from those one-two days it is more countryside, than urban.   And while you pass through or near to a number of towns and villages, they don't particularly intrude.  There are some interesting places to visit: Warwick (for history), Braunston (for canal life), Drayton Manor theme park (if you have children), Kingsbury Water Park (for birdwatchers).  With 10 days you could also include some side trips away from the Ring, e.g into Coventry, up the Ashby, to Napton etc.

If you read my full post then you would not misinterpret it at all.  What was your purpose in editing the post to say something different from what it actually said?  If you have something to say then say it yourself, don’t edit other people's posts.

You will not need to stop in any urban part (other than the centre of Birmingham, if you do not want to.

I did read your full post, and know exactly what you meant to convey.  But the last sentence, which is the one I quoted, isn't specifically tied in to the "in and out of Birmingham" bit.  Rather it says "mainly urban" in the same sentence as "popular with the hire bases around Warwick/Napton/Braunston/Rugby ...".  I just wanted to ensure that the OP, who is not from the UK and for whom English clearly isn't his first language, doesn't misinterpret your answer.

I agree with you that, if they have done the Chester-Stoke area, then the Warwickshire Ring is an obvious one to try.