Electric heaters on thermostats? (Liveaboard w shorepower)

Featured Posts

So, firstly...

1) boat does have a solid fuel stove (morso squirrel - very central in open plan galley/saloon/dinette)

2) boat does have webasto running off diesel for heating radiators (one in each cabin and the head - quite sufficient; one in open plan bit - less so unless squirrel/oven also on)

BUT

3) I occasionally go out leaving fluffies aboard whilst on shore power

I don't want them in sole charge of the stove but nor do I want them overly cold. Unsure if it is 'good for it' to have webasto heating running semi-continuously and was thinking perhaps little electric things to keep the chill off on a thermostat might be helpful...

Something like these https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9191776 wall mounted perhaps?

I rather liked the look of the electric stoves when contemplating a boat without one at all but, as I've got 'the real thing' on the one I've ended up with small/discrete seems the way forward.

Any recommendations?

Not to make it completely 'toasty' (fluffies, are, well, fluffy) but they are used to a min of 15-16 or so in flat (heating kicks in around then even if 'off') and would, I suppose, prefer not much less than that. All have warm bedding but not all can wear jumpers!

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

If on shore power then electric is the way to go.

If no shore power then our Eberspacher would be on continuously for (maybe) 3 months, thermostatically controlled, set the temp just as you would in a house central heating system.

Have the controller near the bed and when you wake up in the morning just turn it up a bit for a warm boat to get up to.

What about an oilfilled rad (or 2) with a timer and stat. Fairly compact, stable and portable. I've got one on  my boat set up so I can switch it on remotely via my phone. Ì know the bit about insurance and equipment being intended for marine use but a ßcan of my insurance revealed no such clause.

Thing is I would prefer fix to wall (I know oil filled are less likely to catch fire if knocked over but they can still land on a fluffy sleeping next to them). And the fix to wall oil ones I've found are all like whole fat radiators / back to being expensive I think? 

50 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Thing is I would prefer fix to wall (I know oil filled are less likely to catch fire if knocked over but they can still land on a fluffy sleeping next to them).

Well, you could just anchor the top of the oil rad with a loop of cord/string to a simple eye on the wall to stop any possibility of it tipping over. At just £15, it's worth trying one out. It can always be used elsewhere if you aren't happy :)

I use a couple of oil filled radiators on a thermostatic plug to save draining the boat down over winter. Bought them from CPC 5 years ago now. Very reliable, cheap to buy and run.

They come in a range of outputs.

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/electrical-lighting/heating/electric-heating/oil-filled-radiators

Edited by cuthound

On 30/01/2020 at 09:33, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Thing is I would prefer fix to wall (I know oil filled are less likely to catch fire if knocked over but they can still land on a fluffy sleeping next to them). And the fix to wall oil ones I've found are all like whole fat radiators / back to being expensive I think? 

Obviously it's your decision but I can see no realistic way one can be knocked over by a cat. 

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Obviously it's your decision but I can see no realistic way one can be knocked over by a cat. 

Which is fine. Except that I have dogs. :-)  And one of them cd knock one on to the other. Either by snuggling the opposite side or tripping over the cable. 

Edited to add: in fact either self or munchkins cd do the same too!  And I have a sort of recess below gunwales as pipes go along in fattish skirting box. So, fixing to wall you wouldn't even be brushing something slim really. 

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

1 hour ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Which is fine. Except that I have dogs. ? And one of them cd knock one on to the other. Either by snuggling the opposite side or tripping over the cable. 

Edited to add: in fact either self or munchkins cd do the same too!  And I have a sort of recess below gunwales as pipes go along in fattish skirting box. So, fixing to wall you wouldn't even be brushing something slim really. 

Ah, made the assumption that 'fluffy' meant cat. Shows it pays never to assume.?