Rebuild

Richard McCann

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Richard McCann said:

Hello everyone this may sound like a daft question but i wondering if I can split my boat in half so i can fix the hull I have a dawn craft dandy any advice would be  helpfull

Which way do you want to split it?

On many GRP cruisers the boat is built from two (or more!) mouldings that join at the gunwales - the hull moulding and the superstructure (cabin top).  This is an easy split with something (crane, forklift etc.) to lift the top off.

If you are wanting to saw the boat into two pieces, you can either do it across the beam (width) or along the length.  There is no sensible reason for anyone - including @W+T ! - to do this to "fix" a boat.  Wayne is going to spend about ten grand and end up with a boat worth about five grand, but he likes faffing.

What actually needs fixing on your hull?  There are very few GRP repair jobs that need the boat sawing in half to make it easier, as you then have to stick it all back together again!

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

@TheBiscuits

It is when you get want in the end that you cannot be got from anywhere else, or can you ?  £10k isnt going to get much of a 45 foot steel NB, then spending upwards of £15k fixing it up. So that makes sense to me. And along the way enjoy the boat build.

Its about the hobby and what you get from the end of it ;):) And who know what it wold be worth if all completed. 

Already messaged Richard earlier. 

• Love 1

7 hours ago, W+T said:

It is when you get want in the end that you cannot be got from anywhere else, or can you ?  £10k isnt going to get much of a 45 foot steel NB, then spending upwards of £15k fixing it up. So that makes sense to me. And along the way enjoy the boat build.

Its about the hobby and what you get from the end of it ;):) And who know what it wold be worth if all completed. 

I agree that if it's going to be done at all, you're the man for the job.

I'm looking fowards to your pictures as you get on with the project,  and seeing the end result.  I still think you're mad though!

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Which way do you want to split it?

On many GRP cruisers the boat is built from two (or more!) mouldings that join at the gunwales - the hull moulding and the superstructure (cabin top).  This is an easy split with something (crane, forklift etc.) to lift the top off.

If you are wanting to saw the boat into two pieces, you can either do it across the beam (width) or along the length.  There is no sensible reason for anyone - including @W+T ! - to do this to "fix" a boat.  Wayne is going to spend about ten grand and end up with a boat worth about five grand, but he likes faffing.

What actually needs fixing on your hull?  There are very few GRP repair jobs that need the boat sawing in half to make it easier, as you then have to stick it all back together again!

Who on earth said anything about sawing the boat in half ??? Because it definatly wasn't me hahaha 

I said split it in half 

3 hours ago, Richard McCann said:

Who on earth said anything about sawing the boat in half ??? Because it definatly wasn't me hahaha 

I said split it in half 

Oh you should of let them all get twitchy over it and leave the thread to go on and on and on.......ha ha  

5 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I agree that if it's going to be done at all, you're the man for the job.

I'm looking fowards to your pictures as you get on with the project,  and seeing the end result.  I still think you're mad though!

IF it works :)

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Just buy another one and do a cut 'n' shut job.  Save you a lot of messing around.

The way that i a doing it is a lot better than a cut n shut as the boat is not being fully cut.  

If it's anything like the GRP cruisers I've had over the years, when those hull and cabin top mouldings were put together, a fair bit of mat and resin was used on the join and separating the two again could be no quick or easy task. Angle grinder time and no guarantee it would be a clean split. I'm intrigued as to what kind of hull damage and repair  necessitates removing the cabin top moulding. Great space in the Dawncraft Dandy for the size. Wishing the OP well with the project.

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Richard McCann said:

Curiousity to be honest ? but it needs a few holes patching and it has a week side too so was going build it up from inside and out 

Just  brace internally u der the gunnel. Patch holes etc. Easy half day job. To seperate  the two is days of work. 

Uess you really want to just for the crack.

Just a thought - exactly what does Richard mean by a "weak side" . He may mean a side that is flexing but otherwise sound and if so bracing as W&T suggest should be fine, especially if he glasses the bracing in place. If he means the hull has lost strength through de-lamination or osmosis then I suspect it may be cheaper to scrap the boat. I understand if water is left in the laminations it can keep on damaging the resin bond (could be wrong there).