Semi Trad Tonneau

Featured Posts

Hi All, I'm looking into a flat cover for our Semi Trad area to solve a number of issues during storage, and have some decisions to make. PVC or traditional canvas?, press stud or bungee/hook attachment?  Does anyone have any views on these?  I'm tempted by the PVC as its just used when stored so looks no too important and PVC is probably more wipe clean?, and possibly the bungee/hook arrangement as I think studs can break easier plus a hook is a hook and if I have to replace the cover it might be better?  

all opinions appreciated!!

This is the sort of thing:

x.PNG

8 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I’ve got a pvc one didn’t seem to be any other option ! I also have press studs and they seem ok so far (couple of years) 

money well spent as we didn’t want / need one of those abominations on the back.

so the studs weather well?

40 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Yes no problem at all guess they are stainless steel. But of a pain to paint round. 

Just unscrew then when painting, screw them back on when painted.

Simples.

You can still see the holes, even after the high-build primer and 1st undercoat, so can re-fit in the correct place.

You can even poke a match stick in the holes to help keep it clear.

Inked29-9-19f_LI.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I didn't realise the studs unscrewed. Will chat to the supplier Kinver and make sure they are same and are stainless steel... thanks all!!

Two ways they are generally fitted from what I've seen is either with a screw in to a threaded hole in the boat side, or with a pop rivet. Either is removable for painting. The rivet needs drilling out and the screw needs undoing, assuming it haven't corroded in and snaps. The actual studs may be chromed brass, rather than stainless steel. Not sure. The more professional approach would be a stainless screw in to a threaded hole, with a bit of copper slip to make it easier to remove. It is important that the head of the screw, or rivet sits within the pop stud, not overlapping the top, otherwise the press stud on the cover won't click on. I have ended up turning down the heads of pop rivets in an electric drill with a file so that they fit.

Jen

On 29/01/2020 at 08:41, robtheplod said:

Hi All, I'm looking into a flat cover for our Semi Trad area to solve a number of issues during storage, and have some decisions to make. PVC or traditional canvas?, press stud or bungee/hook attachment?  Does anyone have any views on these?  I'm tempted by the PVC as its just used when stored so looks no too important and PVC is probably more wipe clean?, and possibly the bungee/hook arrangement as I think studs can break easier plus a hook is a hook and if I have to replace the cover it might be better?  

all opinions appreciated!!

This is the sort of thing:

x.PNG

A guy here has just had a P V C cover and when I said how well it looked he said he wished he had chosen the canvas one as his was causing condensation.

On 29/01/2020 at 12:11, Graham Davis said:

This company does excellent stainless steel fastening of numerous different types.
https://www.jclarkemarine.com/
i've been using them for a while.

It's definitely worth paying the extra for genuine DOT brand fasteners.  There are cheap imitations available but the metal is too soft to be usable.  

I gave up with the self tapping versions of the hull studs a while ago and now use a 3.2mm pop rivet instead.

5 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

It's definitely worth paying the extra for genuine DOT brand fasteners.  There are cheap imitations available but the metal is too soft to be usable.  

I gave up with the self tapping versions of the hull studs a while ago and now use a 3.2mm pop rivet instead.

I've used their "lift the dot" fasteners and their Tenax ones on 2 cars now, and have found them excellent.

On 29/01/2020 at 09:07, Alan de Enfield said:

Just unscrew then when painting, screw them back on when painted.

Simples.

You can still see the holes, even after the high-build primer and 1st undercoat, so can re-fit in the correct place.

You can even poke a match stick in the holes to help keep it clear.

Inked29-9-19f_LI.jpg

how about a CWDF "Spot The Dot" competition sponsored by CRT

weekly winners, prize is a free overstay of a week on your chosen moorings.

• Greenie 1