New boat, new boater.

RollingFoggy

Featured Posts

Hello and good afternoon.

I've been looking at boats for about a year now.

My budget has come down significantly in that time, for reasons I shan't get into here.

I started out looking at steel dutch cruiser type vessels as most of my cruising would be on wide ( ish) rivers.

But !

I've now decided that a fairly cheap cannal cruiser would be the best choice for extended months away cruising.

I was looking at sailaways purely for the simplicity of not lifing it out the water for a survey and all the added uncertainty of buying a second hand boat that may well sink as soon as you've handed over the cash.

Am I being overly cautious of second hand cheap money pits.

Now i'm not averse to labour and i have a wealth of talents, engine re-building, electrics, plumbing ( proper soldered type ) gas fitting, ( high pressure Hydrogen and toxic type gasses  Silver soldering/brazing ) and a hobby of carpentry with mostly hand tools.

Take a look at this rusty heap that needs re-moddeling inside completely, and tell me what you honestly think.

To me it looks like a lined sailaway, old yes but half the cost, comes with BSC to 2023 and has a hull survey from june 2019.

Rust Bucket 1

Be brutally honest please.

Edited by RollingFoggy

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Welcome.

Pretty sparse on details isn't it. As the hull is everything, I would read a copy of the survey and try and determine from that what the plate thickness was last May before going to see it in person.

Yes  ! Very sparse is generally not a good thing.

I've requested the survey.

31 minutes ago, RollingFoggy said:

Hello and good afternoon.

I've been looking at boats for about a year now.

My budget has come down significantly in that time, for reasons I shan't get into here.

I started out looking at steel dutch cruiser type vessels as most of my cruising would be on wide ( ish) rivers.

But !

I've now decided that a fairly cheap cannal cruiser would be the best choice for extended months away cruising.

I was looking at sailaways purely for the simplicity of not lifing it out the water for a survey and all the added uncertainty of buying a second hand boat that may well sink as soon as you've handed over the cash.

Now i'm not averse to labour and i have a wealth of talents, engine re-building, electrics, plumbing ( proper soldered type ) gas fitting, ( high pressure Hydrogen and toxic type gasses  Silver soldering/brazing ) and a hobby of carpentry with mostly hand tools.

Take a look at this rusty heap that needs re-moddeling inside completely, and tell me what you honestly think.

To me it looks like a lined sailaway, old yes but half the cost, comes with BSC to 2023 and has a hull survey from june 2019.

Rust Bucket 1

Be brutally honest please.

The interior looks really depressing, like a boat from a canal based horror film in which the occupant gets hacked to death.  Or am I being over dramatic?

The boat from 1992, so the most important thing is the hull survey, those engines are pretty bomb proof although noisy. Be aware that having polystyrene insulation can make welding an even more complicated job.

Rear hatch and door need replacing, the solar panel doesn't look big enough to do much,  and the interior looks fairly simple, something you could live with and work your way along. 

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The interior looks really depressing, like a boat from a canal based horror film in which the occupant gets hacked to death.  Or am I being over dramatic?

No, you're just putting the "brutal" in "brutally honest" (is that repetition? Whoops, wrong thread).:D

What I noticed was that the boat has a Lister HR3 which I believe is a vintage engine and should thus be a selling point but, unless I missed it, there was no photo of the engine in the sales blurb. What state must it be in?

Just now, Athy said:

No, you're just putting the "brutal" in "brutally honest" (is that repetition? Whoops, wrong thread).:D

What I noticed was that the boat has a Lister HR3 which I believe is a vintage engine and should thus be a selling point but, unless I missed it, there was no photo of the engine in the sales blurb. What state must it be in?

brutal-brutally is acceptable.  Deviation, however, is not.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Maybe that could be my new hobby, sneaking down the canal , dragging people in and hacking them up for dinner, NEW BOAT NAME ! "the sneaky cut canibal"

It has a certain ring to it.

Then sit on the cruiser stern imbibing ale in the warm summer evening sunshine with a full glass and a full belly.

I can't forsee any problems with my new hobby, this is gonna be great !

5 minutes ago, RollingFoggy said:

Maybe that could be my new hobby, sneaking down the canal , dragging people in and hacking them up for dinner, NEW BOAT NAME ! "the sneaky cut canibal"

It has a certain ring to it.

Then sit on the cruiser stern imbibing ale in the warm summer evening sunshine with a full glass and a full belly.

I can't forsee any problems with my new hobby, this is gonna be great !

Barbecued longpig!  Yum.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, RollingFoggy said:

No.

But - it depends what you call cheap, and for that you need to define the boat type / age / size you are looking for.

A £20,000 40 foot boat COULD be in far better condition than a £20,000 57 foot boat.

I suppose a comparison is "I'm looking for a second hand  car is it likely to break down ?"

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I suppose a comparison is "I'm looking for a second hand  car is it likely to break down ?"

A fair comment.

Nothing is guaranteed.

I'm more trying to acertain if something is blatantly wrong that a wet behind the ears newbe is completely blind of.

?

Just now, RollingFoggy said:

A fair comment.

Nothing is guaranteed.

I'm more trying to acertain if something is blatantly wrong that a wet behind the ears newbe is completely blind of.

?

If you can be a little more open about your requirements then you may get some constructive advice and even suggested suitable boats.

Some questions :

What is your budget ?

Continuous Cruiser or will you need a mooring (to be able to work etc) ?

What area of the country do you plan to cruise (some boats are too long for some areas locks) ?

Liveaboard or 'leisure use' ?

Cruiser Stern / Trad /  semi tad ?

Steel or GRP ?

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you can be a little more open about your requirements then you may get some constructive advice and even suggested suitable boats.

Some questions :

What is your budget ?

Continuous Cruiser or will you need a mooring (to be able to work etc) ?

What area of the country do you plan to cruise (some boats are too long for some areas locks) ?

Liveaboard or 'leisure use' ?

Cruiser Stern / Trad /  semi tad ?

Steel or GRP ?

Ahh the nitty gritty.

25K. ( I'd have to rob a bank for a sailaway or partial finance )

I'll be living onboard 3 nights a week.

On a mooring when not in board, I've visited a few marinas and narrowed it down to either one of two marinas.

I'm not fussed where the boat is i'd just get it lifted re-surveyed/ blacked annoded if needed and shipped by road.

Cruiser stern or semitrad at a push, but , infact no cruiser only. Decisive me, i'm well aware of sacrificing possibly 9 foot of inside room.

Length would have to be 50' or more.

Primarily for the first two years would be on the River Great Ouse Cambridgeshire area.

Steel, ( i like playing with magnets )

22 minutes ago, RollingFoggy said:

I didn't realise this site E-mailed whenever anything was posted.

I've just had to delete a hundred and eleventysix E-mails !

You can change it in the setting menu.

Account

Account settings

Notification settings

Edited by rusty69
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

The boat from 1992, so the most important thing is the hull survey, those engines are pretty bomb proof although noisy. Be aware that having polystyrene insulation can make welding an even more complicated job.

Rear hatch and door need replacing, the solar panel doesn't look big enough to do much,  and the interior looks fairly simple, something you could live with and work your way along. 

Where do you get a 1992 date from? I can't see a solar panel.

Builder is given as Tovil Bridge Boatyard. I've never heard of them but google tells me Tovil Bridge is on the Medway. So my guess is they fitted out someone else's shell.

An HR3 in a boat like this would be unusual, and somewhat on the large side for a boat of this type. I would have thought a SR3 or ST3 to be more likely.

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Builder is given as Tovil Bridge Boatyard. I've never heard of them but google tells me Tovil Bridge is on the Medway. So my guess is they fitted out someone else's shell.

An HR3 in a boat like this would be unusual, and somewhat on the large side for a boat of this type. I would have thought a SR3 or ST3 to be more likely.

From brochure:

Screenshot 2020-01-28 at 7.00.45 PM.png

Edited by rusty69

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

HR3 is quite a sensible engine for river based craft, speshly if they occasionally wander up the Thames estuary.

It seems a bit expensive given that there is a lot to do to make it, how shall I say this, homely. It’s got the basics but nothing is looking well constructed or well finished. Lack of photos of the engine and engine bay a concern. It’s from 1992 and doesn’t look finished. Forget the 2019, it’s your survey that matters.

13 minutes ago, Skeg said:

It seems a bit expensive given that there is a lot to do to make it, how shall I say this, homely. It’s got the basics but nothing is looking well constructed or well finished. Lack of photos of the engine and engine bay a concern. It’s from 1992 and doesn’t look finished. Forget the 2019, it’s your survey that matters.

I completely agree,

Kitchen, bed, shower would have to be re-done and i'd probably remove the fire and fit a back boilered one for radiators or a diesel back boiler type.

Mostly though for escapism from the rat race.

I needs a boat .

Edited by RollingFoggy