Boat fit out

LouiseT

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, LouiseT said:

Would a marina generally allow that?

Generally you are allowed to do 'light work', light sanding, paint touch-up etc etc.

Heavy stuff like angle grinding, electric saws is frowned upon.

Hot work (welding) is generally banned.

If you bring any contractors onto site then they will need to prove to the marina owners that they have commercial 3rd party insurance before they are allowed access.

Speak to your marina management for their own specific requirements.

Wot @WotEver said. It depends on the marina, so ask them the question. One place I moored put those fitting out in an area together, so the noise wouldn't disturb other users. The current place you need to ask permission before using power tools like sanders and angry grinders outside. All about not annoying other customers, or doing potentially dangerous, or environmentally dodgy stuff on site.

Jen

I've been fitting out KenDorR for the past 18 months whilst in the marina. I make sure to not be using machinery before 9-00 in the morning or after 6-00 in the evening. The marina does lift boats out for blacking and basic repairs and there's never been any problem with the work I've been doing.

As has been said though, it depends on where you are.

We've just finished fitting out my  new narrowboat on DIY hardstanding. This made taking deliveries of materials much easier than on a jetty. If you're starting from scratch you'll be using a lot of stuff.

8' x 4' sheets can get heavy if you have to carry them far. I used 50+ of various thicknesses.  Mine was much cheaper too, rent was not much more then the license I didn't need. Also rented a container next to it.