8 dead in Alabama marina fire

blackrose

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, frangar said:

I should imagine the roof didn’t help With the fire spread but it makes you wonder about a fire in a marina here...speaking as someone that moors in a marina!! 

I dont think it would be as bad as most of our marinas have steel narrowboats in them. Looks like most of the boats burnt out were not steel...ie there is only one hull visible in the photo. Close packed GRP or wooden boats would be a huge issue.

.......but then again, fire would spread boat to boat the way marinas pack 'em in .....even if they are all steel.

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I dont think it would be as bad as most of our marinas have steel narrowboats in them. Looks like most of the boats burnt out were not steel...ie there is only one hull visible in the photo. Close packed GRP or wooden boats would be a huge issue.

.......but then again, fire would spread boat to boat the way marinas pack 'em in .....even if they are all steel.

In 2009 there was a fire in a marina in Stone which claimed 3 boats, including the Phyllis May of narrow dog fame.

Could have been a lot worse had it been a marina with lots of liveaboards and without the prompt action of onevof the marina's staff.

• 4 weeks later...