Red solid fuel

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

This is the first year I havnt burnt Winterblaze(Red), for 4 years since getting such a good deal on Excel for the Winter. 

I burnt Taybrite with no problems until it changed mid season , and then it was just ash,clinker and wouldnt stay in so I turned to Excel. 

Jules said try a bag of this (winterblaze) when it first came out, and it worked for me.

Kathy used to burn Supertherm, as the boatyard "got a good deal"....unfortunately , I pointed out what a crap deal they were all getting as it was coming in 20kg bags for more than I was paying for superior products from coal boats or marinas. I found Supertherm very ashy and not as easy to keep in for long periods as Winterblaze. Kathy after trying the cheaper fuel agrees.

Mark on Callisto says Winterblaze(Red), rots flues and stoves....Eppings perhaps but mu Morco of 19 years is surviving fine.

26 minutes ago, matty40s said:

This is the first year I havnt burnt Winterblaze(Red)

I've always assumed that they were the same but Red is an Oxbow product so can't understand why it would be rebranded as Winterblaze? It does seem to be a regional thing with Red in the north and Winterblaze in the south.

Not that I'm doubting as I think they're the same but have you heard or read from anywhere official?

Edited by Liam

Clinker is a nasty growth that clogs your stove griddle and pretends to be a solid fuel until you bash it and it stops glowing red and falls off.

Some fuels do it more than others.

Some stove usages make it worse..

ie burning slowly for long periods and not clearing ash, burning wet fuels....burning wet wood and nuggets...

Amongst other things.

2 minutes ago, Liam said:

I've always assumed that they were the same but Red is an Oxbow product so can't understand why it would be rebranded as Winterblaze? It does seem to be a regional thing with Red in the north and Winterblaze in the south.

Not that I'm doubting as I think they're the same but have you heard or read from anywhere official?

Jules and Ryan both said it's the same thing!

18 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Clinker is a nasty growth that clogs your stove griddle and pretends to be a solid fuel until you bash it and it stops glowing red and falls off.

Some fuels do it more than others.

Some stove usages make it worse..

Cheers,

I once had a rayburn with a back boiler and a home made radiator set up with a hot water pump and header tank on a shelf.

some man made fuels were utter rubbish.

The grate was on a cam and you could rattle it back and forth without opening the stove, some coals look good through the window but would just fall apart and you suddenly had no fire !