Red solid fuel

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

On a more serious note I expect this might be a Supertherm topic. 

It could be related to wet fuel as well. 

ETA in my experience briquetted fuels can behave very differently if wet. Much more smoke and general nuisance and smell. 

I previously thought it was a fuel quality issue but it could easily just be a damp thing. 

Edited by magnetman

3 minutes ago, Glynn said:

.Oxbow_Red_25kg.png.0f1d96c6d3dffbe78aa7b624382b9565.png

Oxbow also do Excel and Newheat, which make up my top two of smokeless fuels.  They must have a niche in the range for Red for reasons other than excellence and I note that it isn't smokeless and is marketed as an economy fuel on the bag - two good reasons to avoid it I'd have thought.

• Greenie 1

They seem to be pushing it 

http://www.oxbowcoal.com/knowledgecenter/1

Interesting to see a non approved briquette fuel. 

I suppose there must be others not really looked into it. 

Not sure if you can get ingredients for these. Obviously the ingredients of "it smokes less" stuff is available on the DEFRA site. 

It would be interesting to know what they do to this product which means it is not authorised. 

Edited by magnetman

Smokeless fuel is a bit like the old "Payless DIY" stores it just means less of something rather than the absence of it. 

"Painless" means without pain but "smokeless" does not mean without smoke. 

Edited by magnetman

7 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Seriously underrated fuel, is petcoke. Burns hot, little or no ash, cheap as chips, what's not to like?

Well, there is a potential issue: it burns too hot for many stoves.  Bubble, for example, say "Do not use Petcoke" in their manual. 

48 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Well, there is a potential issue: it burns too hot for many stoves.  Bubble, for example, say "Do not use Petcoke" in their manual. 

Petcoke is to be found in many of the manufactured smokeless ovoids, both approved and none approved. Excel has something like 70% petcoke in its makeup.

As an aside to this for anyone interested.

Last week I bought two bags of SuperTherm to try.

Straight away we noticed how much more ash it produced compared to New heat and less coal still "in" in the morning.

So I will continue to use New Heat which is IMO the best approved smokeless there is - bar none.

It might be a little more expensive but snce it lasts longer, gives out more heat and produces less ash and hardly any clincker it's actually cheaper to me.

4 hours ago, Liam said:

Petcoke is to be found in many of the manufactured smokeless ovoids, both approved and none approved. Excel has something like 70% petcoke in its makeup.

Yes, but it's not always easy to identify which fuels or what the percentage is. You can certainly notice the extra heat available from Excel though, so that 70% would seem to fit.

46 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes, but it's not always easy to identify which fuels or what the percentage is. You can certainly notice the extra heat available from Excel though, so that 70% would seem to fit.

This may help, it's a list of the approved smokeless fuels and gives their makeup, where they were made and by which company etc.

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/fuels.php?country=england

Edited by Liam