New Seats

deckhand

Featured Posts

We are just starting to "do up" our boat. The previous owners obviously had dogs and the bed cushions in the boatmans cabin smell like the dogs slept there.  We need new cushions and covers.

I have a fancy of having a go at making them myself.

Has anyone done this themselves before?   Can anyone suggest the best place for some thick sponge which I can cut to size or maybe get cut to size?   I am looking around for a second hand sewing machine to give it a go at making the covers.

49 minutes ago, deckhand said:

Can anyone suggest the best place for some thick sponge which I can cut to size or maybe get cut to size?

Our local markets (a number of them) offer a foam / cut to size service.

Foam comes in different grades (hardness) make sure you get the hardest available or the cushions will start to resemble misshapen bags.

Cheap foam is more prone to getting misshapen than quality foam.

Buy well and buy it once !

3 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Thankyou, I will take a look

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Just get yourself a dog :)

Ive got 4 already. 

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Foam is readily available on't web.  I find some foams too hard to sleep on if also using as a bed, so I wouldn't myself go for "the hardest possible".

you have made me wonder if it needs to be foam. Maybe there is a better material out there.  Im  going to have to do some more research now.

On 27/01/2020 at 17:31, rusty69 said:

Dunelm sell it I think.

They do limited sizes and it seemed expensive when we bought some for temporary use.  

by the time I weighed up the cost of decent material, foam zips etc I was happy to pay Amtrim to make up cushions for our L shaped Pullman. 

but would have been interesting to do and if you have some existing ones copy from probably a lot easier (we didn’t have ) 

Edited by jonathanA

5 hours ago, jonathanA said:

They do limited sizes and it seemed expensive when we bought some for temporary use.  

by the time I weighed up the cost of decent material, foam zips etc I was happy to pay Amtrim to make up cushions for our L shaped Pullman. 

but would have been interesting to do and if you have some existing ones copy from probably a lot easier (we didn’t have ) 

I do have the originals and can work from the sizes.  They are all different sizes and shapes. fit like a jigsaw to make a double bed. I would like to put zips in the covers so that I can wash them if necessary. (Im laughing at myself here because I sound like I know how to fit a zip ;))    Still, live and learn I suppose. 

I have seen an advert on FB of a company close by that do cushions and covers for caravans and boats.  Might get a quote and weigh it up against doing it myself (factoring in what things may turn out like if I do it) . Got to get myself a sewing machine too so....