Boat Safety Examiner - L&L Skipton / Gargrave Area

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, Opener said:

Do a search on Richard Fee - he is listed on the BSS directory as Bradford but Skipton is very much on his patch. A very sensible examiner and boaty guy.

I second that, a good honest thorough examiner, also qualified gas examiner/fitter so you know your system is going to be thoroughly inspected. The go to guy for many of the Boat builders including Jonathan Wilson in the area as they know he is totally professional.

• Greenie 1

On 27/01/2020 at 07:57, Frankieboy said:

Morning all,

Can anyone recommend me a sensible boat safety examiner i the Skipton Gargrave area please?

Always used Guy Holding but I'm guessing he won't want to traipse all the way up here.

Thanks

Frank

I have used Guy for both of mine in the past 8 years. A traipse all the way up there might be just the excuse he could be looking for a good run in his nice car. I'd say he is worth a call :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2020 at 16:53, Opener said:

Do a search on Richard Fee - he is listed on the BSS directory as Bradford but Skipton is very much on his patch. A very sensible examiner and boaty guy.

Just had my BSS, plus gas work. He explained everything clearly, did the work really well, careful and professional.

No hesitation in recommending him. he used to build narrowboats, I bet they were good.

jo

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Just had my BSS, plus gas work. He explained everything clearly, did the work really well, careful and professional.

No hesitation in recommending him. he used to build narrowboats, I bet they were good.

jo

You bought a boat with only 6 months BSS?

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You bought a boat with only 6 months BSS?

When I was buying the cruiser it had only 1 year BSS left so I insisted that it was sold with a 'full' BSS. No problem, but I do doubt the value of the certificate when there were several  glaring failures, but, hey-ho, I got the necessary bit of paper.

You'd have thought that when a BSS examination was done in 2016 that he might just have noticed the expiry date of the extinguishers, it wasn't exactly hidden away !

Extinguisher 1.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When I was buying the cruiser it had only 1 year BSS left so I insisted that it was sold with a 'full' BSS. No problem, but I do doubt the value of the certificate when there were several  glaring failures, but, hey-ho, I got the necessary bit of paper.

You'd have thought that when a BSS examination was done in 2016 that he might just have noticed the expiry date of the extinguishers, it wasn't exactly hidden away !

Extinguisher 1.jpg

Chances are they were not the ones the examiner was shown.

I agree that false certifcates are probably widespread, I did my RYA Yachtmaster in the Solent, one guy got mixed up with deviation, another tried to sail down Ryde High Street, sheets not tied on properly, and losing "man overboard".

Edited by LadyG