Boat refit

Nemysys

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why?

A dry lining box is intended to be used in a cavity - such as a stud partition - with grips and cable entries 'a bit industrial'. If they are mounted on a surface, then they can / will look ugly.

With a surface box, then you - reasonably - have a cleaner presentation of the socket with the cabling hidden behind the lining. It all depends on what and where and whether you want the job to look amateurish?

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

A dry lining box is intended to be used in a cavity - such as a stud partition - with grips and cable entries 'a bit industrial'. If they are mounted on a surface, then they can / will look ugly.

With a surface box, then you - reasonably - have a cleaner presentation of the socket with the cabling hidden behind the lining. It all depends on what and where and whether you want the job to look amateurish?

But why would you want your 13 amp sockets mounted surface on the tilled upstand of the galley? I would rather see a clean flush surface, but I suppose it depends on what your consider amateurish .

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

But why would you want your 13 amp sockets mounted surface on the tilled upstand of the galley? I would rather see a clean flush surface, but I suppose it depends on what your consider amateurish .

I thought - pretty sure - that I was replying to a general question on whether to use dry lining  vs: surface boxes. Come to think on it, I deliberately avoided mounting my sockets on the tiled area, instead putting them privily below some shelving.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Ryeland said:

They have been M3.5 for the last 40 years or so. 4BA before that.

Richard 

Having a house which was rewired in the early 1970s, with various wiring alterations since, I have a mix of M3.5 and 4BA threads. I have replaced a few fittings on the original back boxes and had to reuse the old (and non-shiny) screws.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2020 at 11:44, RonnieF1967 said:

Hi

We are in the process of fitting additional 12v sockets and came across this seller on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/empral_uk/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Good luck

thank you, I contacted seller through eBay, and ended up chatting over text message, very quick response, purchased what I need at the moment direct saved about 15% over eBay prices.

very helpful, they also have a facebook page ‘Empral Leisure’ and they have said I can pass on their phone number if anyone is interested. Please send me a message if you want their number.