Boat going boating on its own on the Trent...

frangar

Featured Posts

45 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Well, as all this has been captured in glorious technicolour on CCTV then perhaps we should leave it to the insurance companies to sort out. After all, as no one in this thread is involved it is none of our business is it?

If its like some of the CCTV I was looking at when I was trying to catch the uninsured rat that hit my car they will be lucky!! As it happens a friend of mine saw the offending rat and got him on dashcam driving down the road with most of his front end destroyed but not his number plate ?

• Greenie 1

58 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Well, as all this has been captured in glorious technicolour on CCTV then perhaps we should leave it to the insurance companies to sort out. After all, as no one in this thread is involved it is none of our business is it?

if we work on your theory of not discussing something if you aren’t directly involved Dan may as well shut this forum down now.  

On 01/02/2020 at 23:18, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sorry to hear that Tim.

Given the obvious misnomer, what in your view is the best strategy to adopt when driving on a supposedly 'smart' motorway to protect oneself from such scary accidents? I would imagine you have given this a good deal of thought.

I suspect the best one can do is use the leftmost lane and drive at 50mph....

Or perhaps one is actually better off in the far right 'overtaking' lane, furthest away from the accident zone.

Unless I really have too I will not drive in the inside lane of a smart/All Lane Running motorway as I have seen too many near misses to even contemplate it, am happy to drive in any of the other lanes, which one depending on speed and other traffic.

My accident happened in the overtaking/right hand lane but I managed to get to the left lane just into the slip road to a service station. I got out of the car and onto the embankment in seconds!  To their credit a Highways Agency team turned up within a couple of minutes of me ringing the police  and got me off in no time

Tim

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Unless I really have too I will not drive in the inside lane of a smart/All Lane Running motorway as I have seen too many near misses to even contemplate it, am happy to drive in any of the other lanes, which one depending on speed and other traffic.

My accident happened in the overtaking/right hand lane but I managed to get to the left lane just into the slip road to a service station. I got out of the car and onto the embankment in seconds!  To their credit a Highways Agency team turned up within a couple of minutes of me ringing the police  and got me off in no time

Tim

A middle lane pootler. There's me driving correctly in the left most lane, catching you up, I have to then cross 2 lanes to overtake you. Then cut back sharply across the front of you to continue driving correctly in the leftmost lane. What do I do if I have the caravan on? I'm not allowed in the outer lane. 

• Greenie 2

Just now, Jim Riley said:

A middle lane pootler. There's me driving correctly in the left most lane, catching you up, I have to then cross 2 lanes to overtake you. Then cut back sharply across the front of you to continue driving correctly in the leftmost lane. What do I do if I have the caravan on? I'm not allowed in the outer lane. 

Give it back to Doghouse/MJG.

• Haha 1

Just now, matty40s said:

Give it back to Doghouse/MJG.

I don't think it's big enough. Its a 2 berth Freedom 750kg grp box. He has a big un, with planet destroying SUV to pull it. He wouldn't get his Mullet in our little thing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

If you have a caravan on you will not be overtaking me!

Say it however you like but hard shoulder running is a death trap supported by the number of people who have been killed on them recently

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

If you have a caravan on you will not be overtaking me!

Say it however you like but hard shoulder running is a death trap supported by the number of people who have been killed on them recently

Indeed, but a price worth paying for the government as the cost of adding anextra lane to the motorway network would be phenomenal. 

8 hours ago, peterboat said:

What amazes me is the whole of the Trent has been flooded for months could the damage have been done then by one of the very large trees floating down?

The river has been up and down like  yoyo.  However it has not been in flood recently - simply a normal winter level.

The flow is not presently particularly fast and has been so since before the barge incident.

I am confident the damage would have been noticed had it occurred at an earlier date.

Here is the same pontoon a few weeks ago when the river was somewhat higher . It survived that okay as it has survived several years including some sort of flooding most years .

20191130.jpg

25 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Indeed, but a price worth paying for the government as the cost of adding anextra lane to the motorway network would be phenomenal. 

The "Smart" motorway idea, was signed off, with frequent emergency refuges, and Radar detection for stationary vehicles.

The current system has greatly reduced the amount of refuges, and removed the Radar.

Having to wait 1/2 hour plus stationary in live running traffic, with nowhere to go......its a wonder the casualty figures are so low.  Its only a matter of time before a fully laden coach is involved.

Doing the job as signed off, would have been far cheaper than adding a fourth lane, but the cost now of correcting the situation will be very high.

The road-works situation where the hard shoulder is coned or barriered off, is slightly different, as speed restrictions are in place, and there used to be Recovery vehicles stationed just before the works, specifically to rescue those in trouble, though these have now been stopped.

The cost of progress!

Bod 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Assuming these are 4 lane motorways where the hard shoulder has been turned into the 4th lane, you wouldn't necessarily need to use the outer lane.

In circumstances where changes like this result in unintended consequences, you should at least write to your MP and ask them to pass it on to the Minister concerned. your individual letter will probably get the arrogant response that the government knows what it is doing, and that it is the right thing to do. However, if the minister gets enough letters to concern him about votes for his party, something might change for the better.

12 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Assuming these are 4 lane motorways where the hard shoulder has been turned into the 4th lane, you wouldn't necessarily need to use the outer lane.

In circumstances where changes like this result in unintended consequences, you should at least write to your MP and ask them to pass it on to the Minister concerned. your individual letter will probably get the arrogant response that the government knows what it is doing, and that it is the right thing to do. However, if the minister gets enough letters to concern him about votes for his party, something might change for the better.

Maybe I'll just sit in the inside lane just behind the glazed eyed middle lane "fiddler" driving with one hand. Then when he has to brake I will inadvertently undertake him. Oops. ?

• 5 months later...

Selby Michael is moored upstream of Hazelford on the visitor mooring and taking up a substantial proportion on the available length.

It is sunk and I imagine liable to remain in-situ for some years.

• Horror 1
  • Angry 1

6 hours ago, MartynG said:

Selby Michael is moored upstream of Hazelford on the visitor mooring and taking up a substantial proportion on the available length.

It is sunk and I imagine liable to remain in-situ for some years.

No doubt the owner will somehow be blaming CRT for this as well!

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Didn't CRT put it there after it came adrift following their repositioning of it previously? 

Or did I imagine it. 

After breaking loose from its moorings Selby Micheal failed to reach Newark , where it could potentially have damage to boats on the sales pontoon and those moored on the river frontage at Newark Marina . There was impact with the pontoon outside Farndon Marina and for all we know there may have been other impacts including Averham Weir.

I understand Selby Michael was brought under control in Newark  cut . It was towed back to Hazelford and it would seem it was  taken to the upstream side of the lock - where it better protected  from flows than it would have been below the weir.

I believe the tug from Newark Marina was used but whether that was under instruction from C&RT I have no idea .

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

You just cant help it can you.....?

I'm not wrong though.

8 hours ago, magnetman said:

Didn't CRT put it there after it came adrift following their repositioning of it previously? 

Or did I imagine it. 

Its usual mooring should be the wharf above Hazelford weir.

Boat owner has posted on TB so I thought it courteous to paste it here so people can see the other side of this story rather than making assumptions. 

Screenshot_2020-07-13-10-16-47-805_com.android.chrome.png.da12b1ef11a6e8009acc02612caeb7ca.pngIMG_20200713_101808.jpg.5a52e7596b88daffa9297eac28f04e9f.jpg

I managed to fit it into two screenshots. 

• Greenie 1

The facts of the matter have been published on Thunderboat, perhaps @Naughty Cal would care to go and read it and then apologise? 

Haha, I see it's now been published here. Still, it would be polite to apologise. 

Edited by Jim Riley