Boat going boating on its own on the Trent...

frangar

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, pearley said:

We lived in the flat opposite the Synagogue for 2 years until I got married on 1967. Our first home was a 'flat' in Queens Road, Ilford for 6 months. The Polish Landlord lived downstairs.

Remember the gas cooker was made by the Gas, Light and Coal Company who had been nationalised in 1947, it took most of the afternoon to cook a chicken. Jeannette got a job at Plesseys winding coils for telephones. She was warned by the union that she was working too fast.

After 6 months we moved to another flat in a road off Ilford Lane, again with the landlord living downstairs. I was doing a 6 month placement at Boreham then and had a an old Popular but ran a big end on the Chelmsford Bypass. I rebuilt the engine in the wash bay there.

Another 6 months and we moved to a proper flat in Palmerston Road in Buckhurst Hill and I was taken on as s Technical Author by Ford Service Dept at Gants Hill and we stayed there a year before moving back to Southampton.

Should have added in the earlier post that I also had a 3 month placement at Allen's of Romford.

Had my car repaired last year at Allen’s after a very scary accident on a smart section of the M1 ?

6 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Had my car repaired last year at Allen’s after a very scary accident on a smart section of the M1 ?

Sorry to hear that Tim.

Given the obvious misnomer, what in your view is the best strategy to adopt when driving on a supposedly 'smart' motorway to protect oneself from such scary accidents? I would imagine you have given this a good deal of thought.

I suspect the best one can do is use the leftmost lane and drive at 50mph....

Or perhaps one is actually better off in the far right 'overtaking' lane, furthest away from the accident zone.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I suspect the best one can do is use the leftmost lane and drive at 50mph....

Or perhaps one is actually better off in the far right 'overtaking' lane, furthest away from the accident zone.

I find there are times, (and circumstances), where I feel safer in one, and other times, the other.

Tramcars had axle hung traction motors, not nose suspended motors, ie the actual axles were the armature, comutator with the casing around them containing the magnets and whatnot, same as modern day railway multiple units, motors so low down they tend to break down in a bit of flood water or snow and cause big delays holding up the present day steam powered specials. Once upon a time in bad weather you could always usually rely on the railways to keep running, but not any more, they seem to be the first to be affected by bad weather, snow in the traction motors, frozen points, electronic signaling struck by lightening, rats chewing the wires, overhead catenary blown down, Far too much reliance on electricity, electronics and computerisation in my opinionm.

• Greenie 1

Good luck to Farndon Marina in getting any money back for the repairs to the pontoon, as well as the owners of the damaged boats at Fiskerton.

It would seem that the Selby Michael is uninsured and there is little hope of a bankrupt having the money to pay for the repairs. Will probably just end up being declared bankrupt again and leaving the people who have suffered damage to their property to pick up the tab, or their insurers more likely. 

In another twist to this tale it would seem that Dunkley managed to keep hold of this "asset " during  his bankruptcy hearing by claiming it to be a "tool of his trade" although since his uninsured boat went for a little wander on its own he is now adamant it is a pleasure boat, in which case he has also made fraudulent claims to the courts.

Not sure how he plans to worm his way out of that one this time.

I expect Farndon will be insured . However commercial insurance normally has  a very high excess and people are reluctant to claim as they pay a higher ongoing premium. 

I had not previously heard of boats at Fiskerton being damaged (apologies if I missed that on this forum).

26 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Good luck to Farndon Marina in getting any money back for the repairs to the pontoon, as well as the owners of the damaged boats at Fiskerton.

It would seem that the Selby Michael is uninsured and there is little hope of a bankrupt having the money to pay for the repairs. Will probably just end up being declared bankrupt again and leaving the people who have suffered damage to their property to pick up the tab, or their insurers more likely. 

In another twist to this tale it would seem that Dunkley managed to keep hold of this "asset " during  his bankruptcy hearing by claiming it to be a "tool of his trade" although since his uninsured boat went for a little wander on its own he is now adamant it is a pleasure boat, in which case he has also made fraudulent claims to the courts.

Not sure how he plans to worm his way out of that one this time.

No doubt you will be there sticking your daggers in to your best mate.

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, frangar said:

That could have been nasty if someone was tied up on that overnight as it got clouted

The pontoon outside Farndon marina is  not frequently occupied overnight since the marina charges. 

I am guessing the end of the pontoon was struck and agree any boat moored on the pontoon would have been seriously damaged.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

No doubt you will be there sticking your daggers in to your best mate.

What amazes me is the whole of the Trent has been flooded for months could the damage have been done then by one of the very large trees floating down?

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

What amazes me is the whole of the Trent has been flooded for months could the damage have been done then by one of the very large trees floating down?

The pontoon was not damaged prior to Selby Michael taking itself down river and nor was the river in flood at the time of the incident.

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The pontoon was not damaged prior to Selby Michael taking itself down river and nor was the river in flood at the time of the incident.

So on this circumstantial evidence you are prepared to attribute the damage to this boat?

or perhaps you were a witness to the event?

No, I thought not. 

• Greenie 2

29 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

So on this circumstantial evidence you are prepared to attribute the damage to this boat?

No, I thought not. 

I was wondering about that as well, maybe the marina knew it had the damage from the floods but is thinking of claiming on somebody eleses insurance rather than their own? Who knows ? but unless someone really saw the event its just hearsay isnt it?

• Greenie 1

Farndon Marina are making the claim as is the owner of a vessel moored at Fiskerton.

You would have to ask them where their evidence is although there is certainly footage of one of the incidents on CCTV. 

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I was wondering about that as well, maybe the marina knew it had the damage from the floods but is thinking of claiming on somebody eleses insurance rather than their own? Who knows ? but unless someone really saw the event its just hearsay isnt it?

The damage to the pontoon was certainly not due to the floods. The river has not been in flood for weeks and the damage to the pontoon happened the same day/evening as the uninsured Selby Michael set off downstream.

39 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

No, I thought not. 

Perhaps it was a massive aegir that made it to Farndon and damaged the pontoon on the same day the Selby Michael was loose?

Perhaps it was  another 100ft barge that attempted to moor alongside the pontoon that evening,  cocked it up and buggered off? 

Maybe Farndon or CRT damaged it as some sort of vendetta towards Dunks. After all the world is out to get him! 

Or perhaps the runaway boat hit it.

The damage sustained to the  pontoon has not been caused by a small pleasure craft. It has been caused by a much larger vessel.

35 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Perhaps it was a massive aegir that made it to Farndon and damaged the pontoon on the same day the Selby Michael was loose?

Perhaps it was  another 100ft barge that attempted to moor alongside the pontoon that evening,  cocked it up and buggered off? 

Maybe Farndon or CRT damaged it as some sort of vendetta towards Dunks. After all the world is out to get him! 

Or perhaps the runaway boat hit it.

The damage sustained to the  pontoon has not been caused by a small pleasure craft. It has been caused by a much larger vessel.

Well, as all this has been captured in glorious technicolour on CCTV then perhaps we should leave it to the insurance companies to sort out. After all, as no one in this thread is involved it is none of our business is it?

• Greenie 2