Boat going boating on its own on the Trent...

frangar

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

That's a fine brew

One of my favourites. Or it was but I don't drink now, I find it bothers and aggravates some of my other health grumbles. 

2 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

However if the cake is bad I could drown my sorrows!

Or if it's good you can compliment it with afters. ?

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

Talking of that Synagogue, there lies another story. For a while I drove old early 1920's ish vintage wedding cars for a bit of extra cash on Saturday afternoons. One particular Saturday I was given a wedding job too and from that Synagogue.  The car was a massive old 1928 Rolls Royce Phantom. A Jewish wedding of course. I'd collected the bride and her father from Barkingside and brought them to the Synagogue in Coventry Rd and waited outside for them to come out. Out they all came, but amongst them all was my accountant Stan and his wife.  What are you doing here he said, you never told me when I ask you what cash you'd earned that you drove these cars, he was joking really. I replied to Stan, Look ere Stan when I fix your car you often give me cash, where did that come from? He went quiet. Anyway off I drove with the bride and groom to the reception at a posh country club in Chigwell.  I ran out of petrol about 50yds from the entrance and they had to walk the rest of the way. We did have a giggle about it though, I explained to them that this happening will be always remembered by you for the rest of your lives and become a a really funny talking point.  They didn't think I was funny at all at first. Luckily most Jewish folk do have a good sense of humour, and they had, they even asked me in to the reception, mainly because I think they'd discovered that I was a friend and client of Stans.  I couldn't though I had to wait for the cars owner to bring out petrol to get the car back. He normally went round his collection of old vintage cars on Saturday mornings putting petrol into them, he hadn't put enough in mine which was a very thirsty car.

We lived in the flat opposite the Synagogue for 2 years until I got married on 1967. Our first home was a 'flat' in Queens Road, Ilford for 6 months. The Polish Landlord lived downstairs.

Remember the gas cooker was made by the Gas, Light and Coal Company who had been nationalised in 1947, it took most of the afternoon to cook a chicken. Jeannette got a job at Plesseys winding coils for telephones. She was warned by the union that she was working too fast.

After 6 months we moved to another flat in a road off Ilford Lane, again with the landlord living downstairs. I was doing a 6 month placement at Boreham then and had a an old Popular but ran a big end on the Chelmsford Bypass. I rebuilt the engine in the wash bay there.

Another 6 months and we moved to a proper flat in Palmerston Road in Buckhurst Hill and I was taken on as s Technical Author by Ford Service Dept at Gants Hill and we stayed there a year before moving back to Southampton.

Should have added in the earlier post that I also had a 3 month placement at Allen's of Romford.

9 hours ago, pearley said:

Yes, a small world.

In my first year as an apprentice at Ford's (see the other post) I was in lodgings in Barking somewhere off Upney Lane. I never went to the park but did join the 17th Barking Scout Group Rover Crew whose pub if choice was the pub at the crossroads. Scout Leader was Fred Rook who lived in Wilmington Gardens backing onto the railway tracks. Fred was a copper in real life.

Went to the college up the road for the next 4 years. South East Essex Regional College of Technology?

After a year there me and the other 2 apprentices took a flat in Ilford opposite the Synagogue.

Oh good grief, it is indeed a small world.

Yes, I remember Fred Rook, and his children. Did you collect dead newspapers in their Thames Trader lorry?

We moved round the corner from Longbridge Road to a house in Wilmington Gdns.

ETA Vera Lynn used to live in Upney Lane.

Edited by Victor Vectis

I was a bit bored, so I decided to see what happened to the freeflowing barge. I really loved the bit about the trams and would also love the recipe for the malt loaf. Probs need to make appointment at opticians now and... I have a tram story. I was very lucky to ride one in Liverpool/Birkenhead more like when my boys were little. Could probably find a photo but would be hard to put it in the slot on my phone.https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/museum-of-liverpool

20 minutes ago, bluegreencanal said:

I was a bit bored, so I decided to see what happened to the freeflowing barge. I really loved the bit about the trams and would also love the recipe for the malt loaf. Probs need to make appointment at opticians now and... I have a tram story. I was very lucky to ride one in Liverpool/Birkenhead more like when my boys were little. Could probably find a photo but would be hard to put it in the slot on my phone.https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/museum-of-liverpool

The last regular service tram in Liverpool ran in 1956. :unsure:

2 minutes ago, bluegreencanal said:

I guess it must have been at the museum in Birkenhead as I'm not that old...defo rode a tram. Can't ask rellies as they are mostly dead. Sadly. Going to get photos...

I am definitely to young  to remember the trams(I love saying that), seen some photos of the Chester trams recently which my Dad does remember 

2 minutes ago, bluegreencanal said:

I guess it must have been at the museum in Birkenhead as I'm not that old...defo rode a tram. Can't ask rellies as they are mostly dead. Sadly. Going to get photos...

It wasn't the Crich tram museum in Derbyshire was it, they have a Liverpool tram that runs trips on their tracks. I think its a Green Goddess bogie tram.

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Oh good grief, it is indeed a small world.

Yes, I remember Fred Rook, and his children. Did you collect dead newspapers in their Thames Trader lorry?

We moved round the corner from Longbridge Road to a house in Wilmington Gdns.

ETA Vera Lynn used to live in Upney Lane.

Don't recall collecting old papers but do remember climbing Cader Idris in the snow, loading the dishwasher at BP House, being put off beer for years by drinking Double Diamond.

My original Scout Group were Sea Scouts so I continued to wear the blue rather than the brown of the others.

33 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I am definitely to young  to remember the trams(I love saying that), seen some photos of the Chester trams recently which my Dad does remember 

I thought you was 50 though Colin, that makes you ancient in my book.