Boat going boating on its own on the Trent...

frangar

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

We had Daimlers in Coventry too, what's more they were built here at the factory in Radford.

Whenever we were returning for a holiday as soon as I saw the maroon and cream I knew we were back at home.

The old Harnall Lane bus depot, long gone.

Many "died" at Bird's scrap yard Long Marston, Stratford on Avon.

DSCF6107.jpg

5857832777_49d6b6cf1b_b[1].jpg

5084376041_6ecaf054e3_b[1].jpg

I only vaguely remember the maroon and cream of Coventry Corporation buses. I do recall though that these Daimler’s used to run on the route(s) to Coundon, 5 & 6 I think. They were the only rear platform buses to last until WMPTE took over. I can remember catching them to visit my mum’s old college friend and family, and also to go Coundon Road, home of the mighty Coventry FC. Another long gone location.

JP

ETA - turns out I may not be old enough to remember the maroon and cream but instead a later red and ivory livery that was in turn replaced by the inferior blue and cream colours of Birmingham. 

Edited by Captain Pegg

25 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Buses. Lord. I have got used to seeing a "vintage" bus around that I used to work on when it was in service. Bristol RE, best bus ever built.

Gardner 6HLX and self changing gears five speed box.

My dad drove one of those for a while, if you’re referring to what he called ‘pre-selector’ gearbox. 

24 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Well well, isn't it a small world.

We used to live on the other side of Barking Park on Longbridge Road.

I thought the miniature railway was 10.25" gauge but, as per wickipedia, it was 9.25". I can't quite remember the steam loco but I can recall the arrival of it's petrol replacement, 'Little Nan' (Villiers engine?) I seem to recall a press photo being taken of me on the drivers seat when it arrived.

The steam loco stent time at Bressingham, I think, but has now been regauged to 10.25 and lives on the Eastleigh Lakeside Railway.

That sternwheel paddleboat was the 'Phoenix'

The miniature railway is still there but now a 7.25" gauge job.

And Billy Bragg lived, as a youth, in a house on Park Avenue backing onto the park.

I seem to remember the water in the lido being always very cold!

I remember those buses with weldmesh across the windows taking scabs through our pickets back in 1984/85.

It is a small world. I guessed the railways gauge. I was only a nipper when we lived in the pre-fab on the Loxford Hall estate in Loxford lane. we moved to Chadwell Heath in 1953. My sister set the Pheonix adrft whilst me, my mum, auntie Gladys and cousin Brenda were sitting on it waiting for the crew to return from their tea break, she slipped the mooring ropes loopa of the bollards and we drifted into the middle of the lake, the crew had to row out to rescue us. I believe Billy Bragg went to my old school, Mayfield in Goodmayes lane, as did Kenny Ball the jazzman, trumpeter, who also became one of my customers with his car, a Jaguar Mk 10.

On 30/01/2020 at 23:23, Phil Ambrose said:

Sad really that Frangar should endeavour to put down someone who has been a member since 2009, has a greater post count, has a greater community reputation,  and a greater days won count.

Phil

Small wonder I don't visit very often now

I was referring to your earlier post....I guess you just don’t have the attention span....

19 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Frangar, that makes no sense whatsoever 

Phil

10 hours ago, bizzard said:

I believe Reading corporation were one of the last to use trolley buses.

Bradford was the last, with the trolleybuses lasting until 1972.  A year later was the oil crisis, which suddenly made electric traction look a whole lot more attractive!

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, bizzard said:

It is a small world. I guessed the railways gauge. I was only a nipper when we lived in the pre-fab on the Loxford Hall estate in Loxford lane. we moved to Chadwell Heath in 1953. My sister set the Pheonix adrft whilst me, my mum, auntie Gladys and cousin Brenda were sitting on it waiting for the crew to return from their tea break, she slipped the mooring ropes loopa of the bollards and we drifted into the middle of the lake, the crew had to row out to rescue us. I believe Billy Bragg went to my old school, Mayfield in Goodmayes lane, as did Kenny Ball the jazzman, trumpeter, who also became one of my customers with his car, a Jaguar Mk 10.

Yes, a small world.

In my first year as an apprentice at Ford's (see the other post) I was in lodgings in Barking somewhere off Upney Lane. I never went to the park but did join the 17th Barking Scout Group Rover Crew whose pub if choice was the pub at the crossroads. Scout Leader was Fred Rook who lived in Wilmington Gardens backing onto the railway tracks. Fred was a copper in real life.

Went to the college up the road for the next 4 years. South East Essex Regional College of Technology?

After a year there me and the other 2 apprentices took a flat in Ilford opposite the Synagogue.

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Can we just talk about trams?

I can just about remember trollybuses running from Barking along Fanshaw Ave and Ilford Lane but, alas, London trams were before my time.

Did the Elephant ever forget, I wonder?

Only after his mate castled

• Greenie 1

On 31/01/2020 at 10:57, Jerra said:

I can't say it bothers me.  I also can't say "teacher smacked my legs" seems much of an accolade.    With regard to keeping up to date surely the forum is there to keep people up to date with what is happening in the boating world.

Do you know of any other forum/board etc. that feels the need to have a special section for discussing another forum?   

I am genuinely trying to understand why one forum, out of all the ones I have visited, feels such a need 4 years after the breakaway let alone at the time of the break.

Whilst I have no desire to justify or explain what goes on on Thunderboat, as you are not a contributor what on earth has it got to do with you what members of that forum discuss?

• Greenie 3

8 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Whilst I have no desire to justify or explain what goes on on Thunderboat, as you are not a contributor what on earth has it got to do with you what members of that forum discuss?

I suppose you could say 'similarly, what is it to do with Thunderboat members what is discussed here'. There seems to be a lot of "have you seen this on CWDF ?"

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I suppose you could say 'similarly, what is it to do with Thunderboat members what is discussed here'. There seems to be a lot of "have you seen this on CWDF ?"

Different goalposts methinks: Thunderboat posters do not seek to dictate what CWDF posters post about..

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, pearley said:

Yes, a small world.

In my first year as an apprentice at Ford's (see the other post) I was in lodgings in Barking somewhere off Upney Lane. I never went to the park but did join the 17th Barking Scout Group Rover Crew whose pub if choice was the pub at the crossroads. Scout Leader was Fred Rook who lived in Wilmington Gardens backing onto the railway tracks. Fred was a copper in real life.

Went to the college up the road for the next 4 years. South East Essex Regional College of Technology?

After a year there me and the other 2 apprentices took a flat in Ilford opposite the Synagogue.

I had cutomers all over these areas with their cars. The north end of Wilmington Gdns came out in Longbridge Rd right opposite Barking Parks southern gates. I had lecturer customers at the Southeast Essex Tech too that became friends of mine, I taught the electrical expert lecturer there how to solder properly.  The Synagogue was in Coventry Rd Ilford.   Hard work but great days.

Talking of that Synagogue, there lies another story. For a while I drove old early 1920's ish vintage wedding cars for a bit of extra cash on Saturday afternoons. One particular Saturday I was given a wedding job too and from that Synagogue.  The car was a massive old 1928 Rolls Royce Phantom. A Jewish wedding of course. I'd collected the bride and her father from Barkingside and brought them to the Synagogue in Coventry Rd and waited outside for them to come out. Out they all came, but amongst them all was my accountant Stan and his wife.  What are you doing here he said, you never told me when I ask you what cash you'd earned that you drove these cars, he was joking really. I replied to Stan, Look ere Stan when I fix your car you often give me cash, where did that come from? He went quiet. Anyway off I drove with the bride and groom to the reception at a posh country club in Chigwell.  I ran out of petrol about 50yds from the entrance and they had to walk the rest of the way. We did have a giggle about it though, I explained to them that this happening will be always remembered by you for the rest of your lives and become a a really funny talking point.  They didn't think I was funny at all at first. Luckily most Jewish folk do have a good sense of humour, and they had, they even asked me in to the reception, mainly because I think they'd discovered that I was a friend and client of Stans.  I couldn't though I had to wait for the cars owner to bring out petrol to get the car back. He normally went round his collection of old vintage cars on Saturday mornings putting petrol into them, he hadn't put enough in mine which was a very thirsty car.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

When they are discussing a forum I post on there is a chance (small I admit) they be a might be discussing me so what they say about CWDF is a legitimate interest of mine.

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I use half/half black and pale treacle, only tried it with actual malt recently,  both good

OOOh, good call, I have those so maybe tomorrow

Just now, Tumshie said:

Did someone say malt? :D

image.png.82d231b875211f4897f20815767c0f42.png

MMMM not the kind I had in mind!!

• Love 1
  • Happy 1