Start and stop buzzer making constant tone !

Karl

Featured Posts

Hi all, I normally start my boat weekly and run it for an hour when not cruising however this time it’s been a couple of weeks sinc I last started it. It’s a Beta 43 bye the way ! I normally turn the key to heat for a few seconds then turn to start and release the key to run position. Normally until the engine starts I get an intermittent bleep. This time however the intermittent bleep has changed to a sold tone rather than intermittent. This is only when the ignition is on without engine running. As soon as the engine starts Allred lights and alarm sound go off in the usual manor. The engine did not struggle to start from cold so think the starter battery is ok but not new ! Lea sure batteries were changed six months ago without problem. 

So my question is this. Why have the sounder gone from an intermittent bleep to a solid one ? Nothing is mentioned in the problem section of my beta handbook. If it were not for the change in sound I would presume everything was in order. Please be aware ! This problem only exists when ignition is on and engine is not running otherwise I would presume oil pressure or something but can’t be this when engine is not running from what I have been told. I can’t get my head round this one !!!!

Probably/possibly dodgy contact. As far as I know the beep should be constant without the engine running, most boats are, any one of, low oil pressure, not charging starter or auxillary battery, will usually sound the buzzer, engine stopped will have all three. 

But the tone completely stops when the engine fires up, yes?

I'd say the intermittent tone was a fault actually and now it has cleared, the tone is back to solid as it should have been all along. 

Both my Beta engines gave a solid tone. So loud I decided to snip the wires to the buzzer!

1 hour ago, Karl said:

Hi all, I normally start my boat weekly and run it for an hour when not cruising however this time it’s been a couple of weeks sinc I last started it. It’s a Beta 43 bye the way ! I normally turn the key to heat for a few seconds then turn to start and release the key to run position. Normally until the engine starts I get an intermittent bleep. This time however the intermittent bleep has changed to a sold tone rather than intermittent. This is only when the ignition is on without engine running. As soon as the engine starts Allred lights and alarm sound go off in the usual manor. The engine did not struggle to start from cold so think the starter battery is ok but not new ! Lea sure batteries were changed six months ago without problem. 

So my question is this. Why have the sounder gone from an intermittent bleep to a solid one ? Nothing is mentioned in the problem section of my beta handbook. If it were not for the change in sound I would presume everything was in order. Please be aware ! This problem only exists when ignition is on and engine is not running otherwise I would presume oil pressure or something but can’t be this when engine is not running from what I have been told. I can’t get my head round this one !!!!

So when key ‘on’ but engine not running you get a constant tone rather than intermittent?  I would suggest the beeper needs replacing if you want an intermittent tone.

Just to clarify, when the key is ‘on’ but the engine is not running the warning beeper should make a noise as the oil pressure will be zero, but as the engine turns over, the oil pump will spin and oil pressure will rise.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But the tone completely stops when the engine fires up, yes?

I'd say the intermittent tone was a fault actually and now it has cleared, the tone is back to solid as it should have been all along. 

Both my Beta engines gave a solid tone. So loud I decided to snip the wires to the buzzer!

My beta has an pulsing (intermittent) tone, better described as beeping.

Solid or pulsing probably depends on what was in stock when making the panel.

5 hours ago, jacko264 said:

Could it be water getting in the buzzer  I had something similar on a tow bar electrics  on a car

Yes, I’m starting to think the buzzer could be faulty.

1 hour ago, Tom766 said:

Just a thought.. 

Do you have a smart charger relay between the leisure and starter batteries? 

My buzzer behaviour changed due to the neutral wire being attached in the wrong place. 

Nothing has been changed recently to cause this behaviour !

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes the buzzer on a Beta 43 is normally intermittent / pulsing or whatever. If it is now continuous, I’d say it is a fault with the buzzer with no other implications. Therefore not sure it’s worth bothering to fix / worry about.

As everything else appears fine I think you are right. I may look to see if it is possible to get a replacement from Beta. I did wonder if it was warning me of a bad starter battery but the boat started as normal. and battery turned engine over fine !

18 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Yes the buzzer on a Beta 43 is normally intermittent / pulsing or whatever. If it is now continuous, I’d say it is a fault with the buzzer with no other implications. Therefore not sure it’s worth bothering to fix / worry about.

My Beta 43 has a constant tone buzzer, until the engine is started and has sufficient speed to excite the alternator, as did the Beta 43 of my last shareboat and the Beta43 on a neighbours boat.

I think the intermittent/pulsing of the buzzer is possibly a faulty buzzer or connection to it.

31 minutes ago, cuthound said:

My Beta 43 has a constant tone buzzer, until the engine is started and has sufficient speed to excite the alternator, as did the Beta 43 of my last shareboat and the Beta43 on a neighbours boat.

I think the intermittent/pulsing of the buzzer is possibly a faulty buzzer or connection to it.

No it is definitely designed to do that, kind of “beep beep beep beep” noise, at a fast and entirely steady pace. It probably just depends on exactly which buzzer (beeper) Beta fitted at the time (or whoever makes their panels). There is no mechanism to make it pulse /beep, except gubbins inside the beeper.

Mine goes beep beep too.

Also I've modified it with a relay so it doesn't sound either in the "heat" position or when the "stop" button is depressed. It still sounds briefly while I am starting the engine (as verification that it is working) and it still sounds briefly after I release the "stop" button (as a reminder to turn off the engine) but it is far far less annoying.

• Greenie 1