Decisions decisions, A power question, washing related

Dai Molly II

Featured Posts

So, as I will be spending more time afloat, i am thinking of retro fitting a washing machine, I have looked at the Zanussi ZWC1301 Compact Washing Machine and have a space I can create to house it.  I loose the cupboard under the bathroom sink, but hardly use that so seems good, and it is on the center line so not tricky reballasting ?

The question is one of power requirement, from looking at the tec spec, the max draw is 1600 watts.  I have two options I suppose, upgrade my inverter to a Sterling Power Pro Power SB Pure Sine Wave Inverter 12v 2200w, that will draw from my 4 leisure batteries at 110Ah each, run the engine at same time to keep juice going to them and not wipe them out power wise.  Or I do have  SDMO Booster 2000 generator, able to maintain 1700 watt continuously.

Has any one powered a washing machine from a Booster 2000?  Or do I play safe with larger inverter?  Views and opinions most welcome, many thanks Dai

27 minutes ago, Dai Molly II said:

The question is one of power requirement, from looking at the tec spec, the max draw is 1600 watts. 

It may be worth investigating if the 1600w is an average across the whole wash-cycle, or if it is the 'peak, only when the heater elements are active.

You can fill the washing machine with hot-water either via the door or the soap-dispenser which can avoid the heater element coming on.

Do a search - there are lots of ways of avoiding killing the batteries.

If you do end up buying a new inverter go for better quality that the Sterling. (Get a Victron or a Mastervolt)

We use a twin tub rather than an 'auto'. Requires a little more 'labour' but uses far, far, far less electricity (from memory 160 watts) and water - both quite critical for boaters.

Actually gets clothes clean AND dryer than an auto so cuts down on drying time and condensation.

New cost around £80

Readily available from Amazon, Ebay or your local camping / motor home store

Win-win all around

Just one example - others are available

https://www.towsure.com/leisurewize-portawash-twin-tub-washing-machine?gclid=CjwKCAiAjrXxBRAPEiwAiM3DQgxw2RAb9Yko-JBNUi510UED4lqYQesGom3wOQsjF4JKQ-OCakptuxoC56UQAvD_BwE

Leisurewize Portawash Twin Tub Washing Machine

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

No personal expetience, but it has been said that most current washing wachine models requie a pure sine wave power input, so a modified sine wave inverter is unlikely to work.

It has also been mentioned that some washing machines will not work with even Pure Sine Wave.

It might be best to ask for suggestions of known pairings that work. (washing machine & Inverter)

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It has also been mentioned that some washing machines will not work with even Pure Sine Wave.

It might be best to ask for suggestions of known pairings that work. (washing machine & Inverter)

I think the one most commonly mentioned is Zanussi and the most commonly mentioned inverter is Victron.  One point not mentioned so far is Startup surge of the motor patricularly on spin, this could be high for a few seconds. I have a Candi via a victron 3000 and only use it with the engine on, the engine grunts when the spin starts, I have no idea of what the current is but there is a surge and it's bigger than the fridge because the engine grunt is bigger.

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In particular iirc some Zanussi models. 

O.T.  Apparently our Hotpoint washing machine at home is affected by Whirlpool’s recall notice. They inform me that it could spontaneously unlock the door, so we should only do 20 degree washes. As we’re not in the habit of trying to open the door until the Lock indicator extinguishes we’re carrying on as normal until they attend to us. 

1 hour ago, Dai Molly II said:

run the engine at same time to keep juice going to them and not wipe them out

Definitely this, whichever solution you choose.  

Edited by WotEver
Autoincorrect

1 hour ago, Dai Molly II said:

Alan, thanks, yes it seems 1600 is peak load, assume with heater element on.

Never, ever assume anything where batteries and electrics are involved. 1600W seems very low to me. I bet it IS the average across a cycle.

1600w is maximum draw with the heater on, I seem to remember the heater is 1300w......

As for putting hot water in through the door when you load the machinr, its a waste of time and water as most machines pump out at the start of the cycle.........

You can add hot water through the detergent draw after the machine has started, it can get messy if you are not careful. ;)

My old ZWC had a foible that even on the coldest wash it would switch the heating element on for a second which is enough to trip a 1000w inverter.

The generator quoted appears to be a PETROL suitcase generator.

That's a No-No on a boat - lots of threads on here....

We use a camping twin tub washing machine when away - but it has no usable drain - so we put it in the bath. Used to run it from a 300w PSW inverter. It's only suitable for smalls and one jean at a time. The spin dry is not too good but we have an huge airing cupboard.

7 minutes ago, Dai Molly II said:

is there a list anywhere of what works with what.

Not that I'm aware of just dozens of threads over the last few years.

Maybe start a new thread entitled (something like) "Which Automatic Washing Machine Works With Which Inverter"

And explain your predicament and questions.

23 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

The Candy equivalent, whilst a little more pricey, apparently has a better reputation for running properly from an inverter.

That is why I no longer have the ZWC but do have a Candy ;)

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It may be worth investigating if the 1600w is an average across the whole wash-cycle, or if it is the 'peak, only when the heater elements are active.

You can fill the washing machine with hot-water either via the door or the soap-dispenser which can avoid the heater element coming on.

Do a search - there are lots of ways of avoiding killing the batteries.

If you do end up buying a new inverter go for better quality that the Sterling. (Get a Victron or a Mastervolt)

Victron and Zanussi do not like each other.

15 minutes ago, Dai Molly II said:

Hmmm seems this is not as easy as I thought, is there a list anywhere of what works with what.  Anyone got a Candy and which inverter do they have?  Thanks to all that have commented.

Candy Aqua 100 here on a Victron 1200,

We only do cold washes........ ;)

Edited by Loddon

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We use a twin tub rather than an 'auto'. Requires a little more 'labour' but uses far, far, far less electricity (from memory 160 watts) and water - both quite critical for boaters.

Actually gets clothes clean AND dryer than an auto so cuts down on drying time and condensation.

New cost around £80

Readily available from Amazon, Ebay or your local camping / motor home store

Win-win all around

Just one example - others are available

https://www.towsure.com/leisurewize-portawash-twin-tub-washing-machine?gclid=CjwKCAiAjrXxBRAPEiwAiM3DQgxw2RAb9Yko-JBNUi510UED4lqYQesGom3wOQsjF4JKQ-OCakptuxoC56UQAvD_BwE

Leisurewize Portawash Twin Tub Washing Machine

We have one exactly like that. I bought it second hand for £35 - because I "thought it might be useful" and figured that I would probably get my money back if we didn't use it. 

You can spin stuff really dry and while it does need you to get involved in the washing it's no great hardship. It uses very little water too. Interestingly we had some fairly small bog standard inverter on our last boat which didn't blink at me using it but the all singing all dancing Victron jobby on this boat has been known to trip out occasionally with it! 

I wouldn't be without it now and we store it in the shower cubicle when not in use

I must admit am starting to lean towards a try of the twin tub, a small gamble of under £100 or nearly £1000 and lots of work!! ?? Seems the twin tub will do almost anything bar a duvet cover.  Can soon find a laundrette for that, will fit in the shower tray to run and empty.  thanks for usrful input ??

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1