Varnish to use...

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Can't be that good.The fan ain't going round!

No, silly!  Don't you know thatwhen you first fire up it puts energy into the stove instead of powering the blades? That way, the fire gets up to an efficient temperature more quickly. :)

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Impressive stove, is it on of those super efficient types

Not sure TM.

It's got side windows which means you don't have to be in front of it to see the flames.  The stirling engine just needs a push to start.  :)

It's all about the moisture content I found. Very dry wood (6 or 7%) is so very controllable with the air wheel. You can have the flames roaring or just "etherial" which is very hypnotising as the volatile gasses just catch and roll, receed and roll.

20180921_185642.jpg

20181124_173858.jpg

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yup, external. I’ve tried many (not tried Craftmaster) and nothing lasted despite meticulous care until I tried LeTonk. That doesn’t even much care about the prep - I varnished some garden furniture a couple of years ago after minimal prep and it still looks as good today as when I applied it. 

Well that would explain why it didn't perform well. Blackfriars make it clear on the tin that polyurethane varnish is for internal use only but, certainly in the past, some manufacturers seem to have avoided informing users that it should not be used for external work. You, unfortunately, appear to have found out the hard way.

Edited by David Schweizer