Where do I keep it?

AWETHEAYET

Featured Posts

Ok after over ten years of hiring we now find our selves in the position of being able to buy our own boat. Still having to work, so continuos crusing is out of the question. We have over the last 12 months or so been to visit sites close to where we live because Ive been told before you buy find somewhere to keep it.

I don't want to name any because it would be unfair on these locations for someone to give opinions based on one or six visits ( I always take sites like trip adviser etc. with a large tanker of salt) but an example of the comments I have had so far at the places I have visited.

There is only double mooring left, be quick to book or you will miss out.

We are moving because its very clicky here

Moor up here for the night ***** is away and we don't mind

If you like a drink you'll fit in here

We look after each other here

Them down the lower end are stuck up

and loads more

What makes a good mooring for a weekend / holiday boat?

3 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Electric

Water

Toilets / Elsan

Showers

Supermarket close by

Pub close by

Security (gates to mooring / marina)

If you are going to be cruising about for the weekends / holidays then what difference does it make what the people in the marina / moorings are like ?

If you are just going to sit on the boat at the weekends and use it as a 'Summer-House' then you can either keep yourself to your self, or, you can join in and have communal parties, BBQs etc

Only you can decide what type of people you are and what you want / need / expect from your moorings.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

CRT on line mooring. 

None of that shyte you bin mentioning. Real boating. None of that secure car parking 240v bollard, pump-out, water tap, neat and tidy pontoons crap posh middle class boaters expect and demand. Muddy towpaths, street parking, 4 miles and 6 locks to the water point and elsan and back, no light pollution and brilliant stars, owls patrolling, isolation, peace and bliss..... 

• Greenie 4

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

CRT on line mooring. 

None of that shyte you bin mentioning. Real boating. None of that secure car parking 240v bollard, pump-out, water tap, neat and tidy pontoons crap posh middle class boaters expect and demand. Muddy towpaths, street parking, 4 miles and 6 locks to the water point and elsan and back, no light pollution and brilliant stars, owls patrolling, isolation, peace and bliss..... 

Actually best place so far is on line miles from pump out, less to elsan, diesel no chance, pub yes.

I will not be a continues moorer, a boat is for boating not for mooring (Think I'll have that one!)

Start off with a mooring that's a reasonable distance from where you live. One that provides good options for cruising but not too far away that if you forget your keys or some other bits and pieces you don't waste a day travelling there and back.

If your plan is to only go to the boat for holidays and weekends where you'll be off cruising then go for a simple online farm type mooring rather than a fully serviced "posh" marina to keep the costs down. Your choice of online mooring would include access to CRT facilities a reasonable distance away.

And after a week, month or year, you find yourself hankering after a 240v hookup, water point or marina cafe etc then as you already have a mooring then you can weigh up your options without being pressured into having to jump at the first available spot :)

6 minutes ago, Liam said:

then go for a simple online farm type mooring rather than a fully serviced "posh" marina to keep the costs down.

Excuse me? My on line and farm moorings cost significantly more than the less desirable nearby marina moorings. 

Where abouts are you?

I'm sure some of us could recommend various spots and some may know of vacancies.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Excuse me? My on line and farm moorings cost significantly more than the less desirable nearby marina moorings. 

Fair enough. Depends where you are I suppose but I was talking generally...

1 minute ago, Liam said:

Where abouts are you?

I'm sure some of us could recommend various spots and some may know of vacancies.

I live in Wakefield nearest spot is Fall Ings wich incidendently is lovely and the people who live there, that I have spoken too are nice people, but this place is full. Broad cut as one or two that hate hirers that we have experienced (ignornat Bs)

Sorry in original post I said I wouldnot mention places but I've gone against that, sorry I'm sure some at Broad cut are lovely

Just had a thought, think it should be a diverent thread but eh!

This does not apply to me but I've found mooring costs are governed by size of boat, which I understand the reasons why.

If CRT and many boaters wish to open up boating to many then should there be a reduced fee for people on benifits or lower in come?

contraversial I know but whats peoples thoughts?

30 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Just had a thought, think it should be a diverent thread but eh!

This does not apply to me but I've found mooring costs are governed by size of boat, which I understand the reasons why.

If CRT and many boaters wish to open up boating to many then should there be a reduced fee for people on benifits or lower in come?

Daft comment. If they are on benefits or low income how are they going to afford to maintain a boat? You are getting back to the silly idea that living on a boat is cheaper, it never is.

Besides we don't want any more floating pikies on the canals, there are too many already.

#I'm not a snob, but there is a minimum amount of money that has to be spent on a boat and without that there is the possibility of another unsafe, unlicensed uninsured boat full of crap and a filthy towpath alongside,#

1 hour ago, Liam said:

If your plan is to only go to the boat for holidays and weekends where you'll be off cruising then go for a simple online farm type mooring rather than a fully serviced "posh" marina to keep the costs down. Your choice of online mooring would include access to CRT facilities a reasonable distance away.

So not outside the most "des res" development in Leigh then? :D

1 hour ago, Liam said:

And after a week, month or year, you find yourself hankering after a 240v hookup, water point or marina cafe etc then as you already have a mooring then you can weigh up your options without being pressured into having to jump at the first available spot :)

Who needs a marina caff if the boatyard owner makes great tea? :D

1 hour ago, AWETHEAYET said:

I know you don't think you can work being a "boat with no home mooring " ie a Continuous Cruiser, but I can and do.  It takes effort, but time is money.

My licence renewal for a Roving Trader with no Home Mooring came through this week - less than £900 for the year on a 45 ft boat.

I know a lot of people who pay more than that a month in rent!

If I was trying to play the system,  which I'm not, I only need to move 26 times a year, once a fortnight.  Most marinas near where I am currently moored charge around £2500 - £4000 per year.  I think I get paid between £50 and £75 per week to move my boat, which I prefer to do anyway.

If you are working, that's net of tax, so around a tenner a day, or £140 a fortnight. 

If you prefer a domesticated mooring with electric and hot and cold running laundry, then your options are more limited.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

6 hours ago, AWETHEAYET said:

A friend of ours (now deceased) was on benefits and the Local Authority also paid for all of her Mooring, insurance, and licence costs. They didn't pay the BSSC costs as that is not a cost that would be incurred by a house-dweller. (Before any smarty makes the comment about home owners not having mooring costs, it was equated as 'rent')

Why should a commercial company like C&RT have to offer reduced rates when they are already operating at a loss, should house builders sell houses at reduced prices to disabled people ?

Thoughts : It is not a practical idea.

• Greenie 1

There's a lot of options for moorings around Wakefeld. Online at Stanley Ferry and Woodlesford, Lemonroyd if you want a marina berth just to name a few. 
PS There are some very nice folks at Broad Cut. It depends what you want.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, AWETHEAYET said:

If CRT and many boaters wish to open up boating to many

Do they? What makes you think that? The last thing CRT wants is more boaters.

They are doing their best to get rid of boaters. With no boaters, the canals would be vastly easier and cheaper to operate. To CRT boaters are a perennial thorn in their side. The fewer boaters the better, from the CRT management point of view. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

42 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Do they? What makes you think that? The last thing CRT wants is more boaters.

They are doing their best to get rid of boaters. With no boaters, the canals would be vastly easier and cheaper to operate. To CRT boaters are a perennial thorn in their side. The fewer boaters the better, from the CRT management point of view. 

Goodness me you have actually said something sensible and true for a change.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

So not outside the most "des res" development in Leigh then? :D

Who needs a marina caff if the boatyard owner makes great tea? :D

Should have moved there years ago! It's a great place :)

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

There's a lot of options for moorings around Wakefeld. Online at Stanley Ferry and Woodlesford, Lemonroyd if you want a marina berth just to name a few. 
PS There are some very nice folks at Broad Cut. It depends what you want.

Woodlesford mooring is lovely we enjoyed our time there. The pub at Stanley Ferry is beyond awful. Lemonroyd is OK but it's a marina in a lousy location road wise. Nice peeps there though. 

4 hours ago, pig said:

I used to moor at Broad Cut. The other boaters were/are a friendly bunch. I only moved because of the brown trouser moments when the Calder went into flood.

Also got bored and wanted a change of scene.

Flood13.jpg

There are now metal poles clamped to the bollards rising up above the towpath to stop boats floating up onto the towpath in a flood. Don't know if that's what happened to that one though. Could have been tight ropes. Midnight will be along in a minute to reinforce the message. 

Edited by Jim Riley

4 hours ago, pig said:

I used to moor at Broad Cut. The other boaters were/are a friendly bunch. I only moved because of the brown trouser moments when the Calder went into flood.

Also got bored and wanted a change of scene.

Flood13.jpg

The locals have added flood safety poles since that terrible Boxing Day...
... and the pub is probably better than the one at Stanley Ferry. Even better I heard Ossett Brewery is refurbishing the Bingley Arms at Horbury Bridge.