The Curly Wyrley

The Dreamer

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Put it down to being January. I genuinely thought the general view of the W&E was that it’s mostly nicer than expected. Try it again in the spring one day.

JP

Agreed,  long, wriggly and shallow in places but it was a surprise how nice it is the first time I did it, in fact I was surprised just how much of the BCN felt isolated and rural.

Even the Walsall has it's nice bits

The Wyrley & Essington has always had potential, to run it down is both unfair and unjust. The hardest task has been to increase usage. Like stated there are many attractive spots, since the mines closed and nature has started to cover the waters edge. The completion of the Lichfield Canal would reinstate a boating ring.

It is true that there are some undesirables in places like Bloxwich, but then there are parts of Manchester that have similar problems.   

But as a contender for the worst swamp hole on the canal network, I personally consider an insult to all those who follow and and the support the BCN.

Edited by Heartland

On 26/01/2020 at 12:41, Heartland said:

The Wyrley & Essington has always had potential, to run it down is both unfair and unjust. The hardest task has been to increase usage. Like stated there are many attractive spots, since the mines closed and nature has started to cover the waters edge. The completion of the Lichfield Canal would reinstate a boating ring.

The full restoration of the Lichfield & Hatherton Canal would also provide another through route as well as a ring, both of which would significantly improve the condition of that part of the BCN. They're making decent progress on the restoration but there's still a heck of a way to go.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On 25/01/2020 at 23:42, Alway Swilby said:

It's lovely up here at Pelsall. Might go to the Finger Post for some food.

I was amazed at how little we got round the prop on the way here from Wolverhampton.

Thought we might go back via the Rushall flight then along the Tame Valley and go and see what all the fuss is about at Walsall. I've heard the art gallery is good?

The management of the Finger Post has recently changed for the umpteenth time. We moored there in December and were very impressed with what the new management has done. Good beer,nice food and well priced, friendly staff and generally a good ambience to the place. It's also a good quiet mooring right next to the attractive common.

I'm also gonna defend the W&E.  It's not just ok, I actually really like it.  Lots of variety, really nice places to stop, Sneyd, Pelsall (and all up the extension), Along the Anglesea branch is good for mooring too, and the Rushall section is full of good mooring spots (and some interesting pubs).  When I was bimbling around there for a few weeks last year, the only issue I had was with weed growth, and that would be solved by more boats visiting.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm also gonna defend the W&E.  It's not just ok, I actually really like it.  Lots of variety, really nice places to stop, Sneyd, Pelsall (and all up the extension), Along the Anglesea branch is good for mooring too, and the Rushall section is full of good mooring spots (and some interesting pubs).  When I was bimbling around there for a few weeks last year, the only issue I had was with weed growth, and that would be solved by more boats visiting.

Exactly, what all canals need, Bill and Ben then there would be Little Weed.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Sneyd looks like they don’t want visitors there. What was a visitor mooring to the side of the service block is now chained off.

18 minutes ago, Grassman said:

The full restoration of the Lichfield & Hatherton Canal would also provide another through route as well as a ring, both of which would significantly improve the condition of that part of the BCN. They're making decent progress on the restoration but there's still a heck of a way to go.

I’m not convinced I’ll ever cruise the Lichfield and I’d hope I’ve got at least a quarter of a century of boating ahead of me. The Hatherton I suspect may never get done. An influx of funds as happened to the Huddersfield Narrow and Rochdale would change things but at the present rate of progress we can’t rely on improved links to keep the W&E in good order.

So I’d urge anyone who wants to preserve the canal network to book themselves on to a BCN Explorer Cruise or enter the BCN Challenge or just choose to explore it under their own steam.

JP

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, dmr said:

Boaters who say bad stuff about the Curly and the Walsall have probably never done Manchester and the Rochdale up through Newton Heath.

.............Dave

Possibly so but we really don’t need a discussion about the grimmest section of canal on the network.

All of these canals need more use full stop.

JP

• Greenie 3

Haven’t done the W&E for perhaps 5 years, but 5 years ago it seemed in remarkably good condition. Quite deep, we were mostly doing 3.5mph which is faster than average for our fairly deep drafted boat on a narrow canal. I can’t recall a prop-stop but maybe we got some plastic or something - but nothing bad. The Daw End and Rushall were pretty shallow the first time we did them, but they were dredged and the second time they were fine . I really like the Rushall flight, as urban canal flights go.

By contrast ... Don’t mention the Walsall!

... and on that note, a CRT email has just arrived saying the Birchills services are back in action after being closed for nearly two years. I wonder how long that will last!?

Edited by nicknorman

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Sneyd looks like they don’t want visitors there. What was a visitor mooring to the side of the service block is now chained off.

I moored down the little arm to the left side of the moorings.  Bow first as it looked shallow.  Unfortunately, my cruising pattern requires that I can get to my work still and park a car.  There are some handy parking spots by the canal there, but you can't get to them because there's a locked gate up at the main road.  So I only stayed 1 night, rather than my usual week or so.

On 26/01/2020 at 10:23, john6767 said:

Whilst the BCN Challrnge is about making good progress, I back off or even go into neutral going through bridge holes, as that is where you mostly pick stuff up.  I think I only cleared the prop 5 or 6 times on last year challenge, not bad for what in normal terms could be considered a weeks boating. 

Similarly with us, only had the weed hatch up about 3 or 4 times on last year's challenge, despite doing the Walsall twice! Only weed hatch trip on our recent 10 days away which included a lot of the BCN was coming up Wolverhampton 21, a well used route. I do think a lot of problems are down to rushing and not slowing  down at bridge holes. 

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’m not convinced I’ll ever cruise the Lichfield and I’d hope I’ve got at least a quarter of a century of boating ahead of me. The Hatherton I suspect may never get done. An influx of funds as happened to the Huddersfield Narrow and Rochdale would change things but at the present rate of progress we can’t rely on improved links to keep the W&E in good order.

So I’d urge anyone who wants to preserve the canal network to book themselves on to a BCN Explorer Cruise or enter the BCN Challenge or just choose to explore it under their own steam.

JP

Like you, I doubt I'll ever get to cruise the Lichfield (and hopefully have even more boating time ahead than you?). Hopefully our daughter may get to cruise it though, although I very much doubt even she'll ever cruise the Hatherton. As for the Lapal at the other side of the BCN.....

I don't know why the need to wait for more connections to encourage use, after all people are happy to cruise dead end canals, and the W&E already has 3 connections and can be used as an alternative to other through routes. 

Despite agreeing with most of what has been said about the Walsall, there's something satisfying about cruising it, and it does have some interesting features along it. I would say the locks are easy and quick to work, but that would be bending the truth somewhat as there's nearly always one lock with some obstruction or other either stopping gates opening or closing fully. Generally found the locals friendly and willing to help though if you take the time to engage and talk to them. 

47 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

Similarly with us, only had the weed hatch up about 3 or 4 times on last year's challenge, despite doing the Walsall twice! Only weed hatch trip on our recent 10 days away which included a lot of the BCN was coming up Wolverhampton 21, a well used route. I do think a lot of problems are down to rushing and not slowing  down at bridge holes. 

Like you, I doubt I'll ever get to cruise the Lichfield (and hopefully have even more boating time ahead than you?). Hopefully our daughter may get to cruise it though, although I very much doubt even she'll ever cruise the Hatherton. As for the Lapal at the other side of the BCN.....

I don't know why the need to wait for more connections to encourage use, after all people are happy to cruise dead end canals, and the W&E already has 3 connections and can be used as an alternative to other through routes. 

Despite agreeing with most of what has been said about the Walsall, there's something satisfying about cruising it, and it does have some interesting features along it. I would say the locks are easy and quick to work, but that would be bending the truth somewhat as there's nearly always one lock with some obstruction or other either stopping gates opening or closing fully. Generally found the locals friendly and willing to help though if you take the time to engage and talk to them. 

Agree it is satisfying to cruise the Walsall and we too did it twice on the challenge, as well as doing the full length of the W&E.  For me it is the fact the the rubbish could so so easily avoided if people cared a bit more and showed more respect to their local environment.

We did the Walsall locks twice last challenge, and had no problems, but I have had prop fouls in the locks there more than once before, as well as low pounds.

I don’t know what it would take to get more people cruising the northern BCN, I don’t think waiting for the Lichfield to reopen is an option, unless something changes that is many decades away.

The difficult bit of the Walsall is the less used central 5 mile section between Ocker Hill Junction and Walsall Junction. The lock flights at Ryders Green and Walsall at either end see more boats than the central section. They are both quite nice flights for different reasons although the bottom pound at Ryders Green has its issues as mentioned above and we’ve twice been stuck in the same lock at Walsall on different BCN Challenges. The local have always been very friendly and helpful there.

JP

7 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The difficult bit of the Walsall is the less used central 5 mile section between Ocker Hill Junction and Walsall Junction. The lock flights at Ryders Green and Walsall at either end see more boats than the central section. They are both quite nice flights for different reasons although the bottom pound at Ryders Green has its issues as mentioned above and we’ve twice been stuck in the same lock at Walsall on different BCN Challenges. The local have always been very friendly and helpful there.

JP

A possible and realistic way to get more boats onto that central stretch is the restoration of the Bradley Canal.  The line is still there, part is still in water.  The lock postions are visible.  The properly difficult bit is getting past Bradley Lane.  The feasibility study came up with a few options, but IMO, the only plausible one which would ensure the canal was well used, is the 'raise the road' option.  Which they dismiss outright.

https://www.waterways.org.uk/waterways/restoration/restoration_resources/portal/pdfs/bradley_locks_feasibility_study

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

A possible and realistic way to get more boats onto that central stretch is the restoration of the Bradley Canal.  The line is still there, part is still in water.  The lock postions are visible.  The properly difficult bit is getting past Bradley Lane.  The feasibility study came up with a few options, but IMO, the only plausible one which would ensure the canal was well used, is the 'raise the road' option.  Which they dismiss outright.

https://www.waterways.org.uk/waterways/restoration/restoration_resources/portal/pdfs/bradley_locks_feasibility_study

I agree that would help in getting more traffic, and to me a lift or swing bridge at Bradley Lane would be perfectly acceptably, even it it had a timed control to limit use during busy periods similar to the one on the L&L at Leigh.

• 5 weeks later...
On 25/01/2020 at 18:55, Victor Vectis said:

Indeed.

The Walsall is much worserer.

Walsall Basin is nice, as long as the natives leave you alone, but the problem is in the getting there.

Well, we braved the Walsall Canal from Ocker Hill and haven't had to clear the prop, although there's something round it and now we've moored up I'll take a look.

In Walsall basin the Steakhouse pub (on the left as you come in) is playing music through its external speakers even though there's no one sat outside. Is this a new thing or have they always done this? It was ok when they were playing 80s music but they've moved onto more modern stuff now.

52 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Well, we braved the Walsall Canal from Ocker Hill and haven't had to clear the prop, although there's something round it and now we've moored up I'll take a look.

In Walsall basin the Steakhouse pub (on the left as you come in) is playing music through its external speakers even though there's no one sat outside. Is this a new thing or have they always done this? It was ok when they were playing 80s music but they've moved onto more modern stuff now.

You only need to pull one wire out....

I do this if we go up the rubbish local pub here, staff stick their own stuff on when its empty and turn it up. In the garden, this is quite antisocial and annoying.

Not been to Walsall for a few years now but the canalside pub was crap then.

A short walk towards town gets you to the Blackcountry Arms which is at the other end of the pub spectrum.

.................Dave

• Happy 1

• 1 year later...

We went round the Curley Wyrely last Autumn before the lockdown and we enjoyed it. Moored at Wednesfield, which was a nice enough town, Pelsall which was lovely, and Longwood above the Rushall locks on the outer edges of the Birmingham metropolis. Didn't manage the Cannock Extension so that's something to go back for. Managed the Angelsey Branch and enjoyed a walk along the Reservoir at Chacewater. 

It was slowish going at times, got the feeling not many boats had been there for a while and weeds had grown. Once I learned to cut revs at bridges and generally go a bit slower, I didn't need to go down the weedhatch as often, beginners mistake. As the water was clear, you could often see some debris before you went past.

Coming back, we'd intended to go up Ryders Green locks but I hadn't seen the notice about the Midland Metro bridge works then at Hampole Bridge. So we had to detour back via the Walsall. It wasn't too bad, yes did get a fair few things round the property including a builders merchants bag, but we got there. Almost couldn't get in the bottom lock at Walsall, which I read someone else had also found - since reported it to CRT and they advised they've now checked this and its okay. Okay the Walsall may not be the most scenic but it's not horrendous either. Guess if you just take it calmly and on a sunny day if you can.

All in all it was an enjoyable experience and I'd recommended it. 

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Jonkx said:

We went round the Curley Wyrely last Autumn before the lockdown and we enjoyed it. Moored at Wednesfield, which was a nice enough town, Pelsall which was lovely, and Longwood above the Rushall locks on the outer edges of the Birmingham metropolis. Didn't manage the Cannock Extension so that's something to go back for. Managed the Angelsey Branch and enjoyed a walk along the Reservoir at Chacewater. 

It was slowish going at times, got the feeling not many boats had been there for a while and weeds had grown. Once I learned to cut revs at bridges and generally go a bit slower, I didn't need to go down the weedhatch as often, beginners mistake. As the water was clear, you could often see some debris before you went past.

Coming back, we'd intended to go up Ryders Green locks but I hadn't seen the notice about the Midland Metro bridge works then at Hampole Bridge. So we had to detour back via the Walsall. It wasn't too bad, yes did get a fair few things round the property including a builders merchants bag, but we got there. Almost couldn't get in the bottom lock at Walsall, which I read someone else had also found - since reported it to CRT and they advised they've now checked this and its okay. Okay the Walsall may not be the most scenic but it's not horrendous either. Guess if you just take it calmly and on a sunny day if you can.

All in all it was an enjoyable experience and I'd recommended it. 

We will be there again in a couple of weeks after the BCNS Walsall cruise, I will let you know how we all get on winding round the balloon, I take it no ones nicked it yet?

• Happy 1

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

We will be there again in a couple of weeks after the BCNS Walsall cruise, I will let you know how we all get on winding round the balloon, I take it no ones nicked it yet?

I'll also be on the BCNS Walsall cruise on Scorpio.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

We didn't get to do the Town Arm as we were a bit pressed for time, having added a day's diversion to our route back to Birmingham, and went straight (almost) up the locks.  Guess that's where the balloon is? Will have to visit another time. 

3 minutes ago, Jonkx said:

We didn't get to do the Town Arm as we were a bit pressed for time, having added a day's diversion to our route back to Birmingham, and went straight (almost) up the locks.  Guess that's where the balloon is? Will have to visit another time. 

• Haha 1