House Wi Fi Help

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Help needed from you house dwellers please. I am having to stay in a house quite a lot on and off in the imminent future and was wondering what costs wi fi should be. My old mum has a thing from Bt that says Hub 3 on it that she just carries on and on paying out for and I havnt a clue if its a good or bad deal? She pays 143 pounds every three months for some reason so say 47 squids a month, she does have a bt fone but its not in use and uneeded. My question is for wi fi only is there nothing better out there? My o2 hortspot thing is quicker and cheaper but of course not unlimited. Where should I go, looking on line is a mine field so I am asking you lot. If she keeps the fone for emergency dialing out thats all it would ever be used for.

Taa

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My o2 hortspot thing is quicker and cheaper but of course not unlimited

You could get one of the unlimited sims if you require no landline. Three spring to mind. Check the signal in that area first though.

ETA. I cancelled my mums BT internet last year, she is now on a phone call only deal, I think it saved 30 quid per  month removing the internet access.

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

You could get one of the unlimited sims if you require no landline. Three spring to mind. Check the signal in that area first though.

You got there while I was correcting my earlier gaffe. Now ready for another...

Anyway, echo that.

If possible and your use of bricks and mortar are longer term I'd get rid of BT as soon as - unless you get an inclusive deal, priocipally 'cos they lock you into a long term contract and customer service - should you need it - can be poor to diabolical. Frinstance Hub3 is a very ancient bit of kit and I suspect she never used the internet anyway. I dumped the line rental when we got proper fibre last autimn and only had to give a month's notice. BT didn't like that...

Any internet connection is usually for a minimum of a year, although I notice that Zen do a short term contract, but it might be expensive.

Do you really need high speed access, or is it a matter of 'best value'

4 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

You got there while I was correcting my earlier gaffe. Now ready for another...

Anyway, echo that.

If possible and your use of bricks and mortar are longer term I'd get rid of BT as soon as - unless you get an inclusive deal, priocipally 'cos they lock you into a long term contract and customer service - should you need it - can be poor to diabolical. Frinstance Hub3 is a very ancient bit of kit and I suspect she never used the internet anyway. I dumped the line rental when we got proper fibre last autimn and only had to give a month's notice. BT didn't like that...

Any internet connection is usually for a minimum of a year, although I notice that Zen do a short term contract, but it might be expensive.

Do you really need high speed access, or is it a matter of 'best value'

What is high speed access :( Is that whats needed to say watch telly on? I am looking for all and any option and deffo will be binning BT even if they say they can match or beat any deal, anyone that just keeps taking money year in year out and not offering a better deal gets binned by me eventualy. I use my own mi fi thing when here or I can do if I want to. Mum doesnt need it whatsoever now as she no longer can use her ipad as she has forgotten how to use it. Others click on to it when they visit thats all its used for. Who the hell are ZEN lol?

Have look at plusnet.  Their package deals look good value.  It needs a linr to the house so you will have to get a broadband and phone package, but you do not need to plug a phone in.  They are now 100% BT owned so you get the same wifi kit.

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What is high speed access :( Is that whats needed to say watch telly on? I am looking for all and any option and deffo will be binning BT even if they say they can match or beat any deal, anyone that just keeps taking money year in year out and not offering a better deal gets binned by me eventualy. I use my own mi fi thing when here or I can do if I want to. Mum doesnt need it whatsoever now as she no longer can use her ipad as she has forgotten how to use it. Others click on to it when they visit thats all its used for. Who the hell are ZEN lol?

Zen are just another company selling communication time. We moved from a mix of BT and what was Eclipse, because all of a sudden we were able to get full fibre internet and few people were offering FTTP. They seem a friendly bunch and were easy to deal with.

Prices tend to be similar across the board - little difference between Zen, Plusnet, BT but there can be a helluva difference between customer services even though they're all supplying the same product. Have a look at their website - Zen.co.uk.

I was amazed at how little bandwidth (speed) is needed to receive a TV picture and I didn't believe that until I watched a BBC programme on our lod copper connection which ran at around 6meg on a good day. There was no jitter - it just worked. Where folks complain about speed is if you're gaming online you need fast response times not only for the action but also to get your move (?) into the system before the other folks that you're gaming with do theirs - or so I'm told. (I don't do online games...)

Just now, OldGoat said:

Zen are just another company selling communication time. We moved from a mix of BT and what was Eclipse, because all of a sudden we were able to get full fibre internet and few people were offering FTTP. They seem a friendly bunch and were easy to deal with.

Prices tend to be similar across the board - little difference between Zen, Plusnet, BT but there can be a helluva difference between customer services even though they're all supplying the same product. Have a look at their website - Zen.co.uk.

I was amazed at how little bandwidth (speed) is needed to receive a TV picture and I didn't believe that until I watched a BBC programme on our lod copper connection which ran at around 6meg on a good day. There was no jitter - it just worked. Where folks complain about speed is if you're gaming online you need fast response times not only for the action but also to get your move (?) into the system before the other folks that you're gaming with do theirs - or so I'm told. (I don't do online games...)

Cheers old bean, that makes sense. There are no 12 year olds in the vicinity so gaming will never happen but I now know why people think they need a fast thingy. I will see how I get on :cheers:

1 minute ago, BilgePump said:

unlimited tethering and no contract with O2 budget brand, giffgaff for £25/mo

Cheers, I am with o2 on the boat and it works very well here its just the amount but thats a good deal and at least I know it will work. Does that mean I could just leave a cheap smartfone switched on here and peeps could log into it like my mi fi thingy?

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Cheers, I am with o2 on the boat and it works very well here its just the amount but thats a good deal and at least I know it will work. Does that mean I could just leave a cheap smartfone switched on here and peeps could log into it like my mi fi thingy?

Exactly, use a cheap smartphone as a hotspot router. You set password and then can use laptop, tablet, toaster via WiFi

• Greenie 1

Bin BT.

Get one of the Huawei B525 routers, get a sim only contract with the best mobile signal provider in that area (if its Yorkshire it's probably still AOL, Hutchinson or Diamond Cable)?.

3 have an offer for eat all you can data for £10 first 6 months and then £20 for next 6. This includes Netflix streaming, and works very well.

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Help needed from you house dwellers please. I am having to stay in a house quite a lot on and off in the imminent future and was wondering what costs wi fi should be. My old mum has a thing from Bt that says Hub 3 on it that she just carries on and on paying out for and I havnt a clue if its a good or bad deal? She pays 143 pounds every three months for some reason so say 47 squids a month, she does have a bt fone but its not in use and uneeded. My question is for wi fi only is there nothing better out there? My o2 hortspot thing is quicker and cheaper but of course not unlimited. Where should I go, looking on line is a mine field so I am asking you lot. If she keeps the fone for emergency dialing out thats all it would ever be used for.

Taa

We pay Vodafone £22pm for unlimited superfast 2 BB ( "We guarantee all Superfast 2 customers a minimum speed to the hub of 55Mbps, or money off until it's fixed") includes landline + £16 pm for 2 sims with 3gb data each pm + unlimited calls & texts. We have fibre to the box & copper to the house. 

Edited by nb Innisfree
  • Greenie 1

At home I have BT broadband, fibre to cabinet.  I pay I think £28 a month for the phone line, broadband and BT Sport.  It is plenty fast enough, and despite that they don’t want that much more for full fibre, at the moment I don’t see the point for us.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, OldGoat said:

If you get a really slow connection you could watch yesterdays TV.

I have a bricks and mortar & NB life style, my WIFI solution is a WIFI router in both locations, I have a EE 100 GB data sim that cost me £17 per month, EE  provide a reasonably good router as part of the package.

I get around 70 MBps  download and  50 MBps unload speeds anything above 10 MBps is OK for streaming, I live in a little village in West Yorkshire, so not the epicenter of modern day communications, although we do now have an electrical car charging facility in our local car park, the reveal was a major event, not yet operational,. but looks great!!!

I don't watch a whole lot of TV or do much streaming, I normally use around 50 GB a month, I do do lots of online meetings, probably 6 hrs a week,  if your Mum is anything like my Dad used to be in later life the TV was always on, so if you went for this type of solution an unlimited deal, which is not a whole lot more expensive might work better, not sure if your looking for a solution for you or your Mum or both

The service has been rock solid, when I am going to the boat I just take the data sim with me, most times!

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Fender151 said:

I have a bricks and mortar & NB life style, my WIFI solution is a WIFI router in both locations, I have a EE 100 GB data sim that cost me £17 per month, EE  provide a reasonably good router as part of the package.

I get around 70 MBps  download and  50 MBps unload speeds anything above 10 MBps is OK for streaming, I live in a little village in West Yorkshire, so not the epicenter of modern day communications, although we do now have an electrical car charging facility in our local car park, the reveal was a major event, not yet operational,. but looks great!!!

I don't watch a whole lot of TV or do much streaming, I normally use around 50 GB a month, I do do lots of online meetings, probably 6 hrs a week,  if your Mum is anything like my Dad used to be in later life the TV was always on, so if you went for this type of solution an unlimited deal, which is not a whole lot more expensive might work better, not sure if your looking for a solution for you or your Mum or both

The service has been rock solid, when I am going to the boat I just take the data sim with me, most times!

It's great to have some 'confirmation' that my suppositions were correct / not far out.  I set our fibre package at the bottom end of what Zen were offering (on the basis that it's easy to go faster if needed, but not the reverse). The costs are within a couple of quid of what I was paying for ADSL + phone + email.