Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Parahandy

Speeding On Motorways

Featured Posts

I am making this Post because it raises an issue that I certainly wasn't aware of until a Chap mentioned it in the Pub last night and unfortunately I never got the chance to check on the veracity of his claim  In early November last Year I was Travelling North to Yorkshire , I had set the Cruise Control to 60mph and consequently I was at Jnct 30 of the Northbound M1 around 6.30am whereupon I came across an Overhead Gantry saying 60mph . As usual the Road was completely clear with perfect vision and as I was already doing 60mph I simply continued on my way , next it dropped to 50mph but beyond that I could see it was back to 60mph . this was where I made the mistake in not slowing down to 50mph and consequently I was served with a Notice of Intended Prosecution by South Yorkshire Police .

the Land Rover Discovery was registered to my Business so initially feeling aggrieved I attempted to wriggle only for the Police to check with the Motor Insurance Database and find out who was Insured for this Vehicle . Naturally the NIP was amended to show my name and I have now been offered a Motorway Awareness Course at a location still to be confirmed though thankfully I shan't have to go back to Yorkshire . I pride myself on having a clean Licence , something which seems to be more difficult to maintain with each passing Year , I realise some will say that you simply shouldn't speed but this is the thing with these Cameras , there is simply no Police Officer to show any Tolerance nor Discretion , its simply clear cut . I am happy to bet that no Police Officer would even have bothered to stop me in such circumstances let alone Prosecute me . Getting back to the Point of my Post , last night in the Pub a College Lecturer told me that these Overhead Gantry Cameras are now being used to control Vehicle Emissions in that the EU have set Targets and its down to Local Authorities to enforce them hence the switching on of these Cameras on many of our Motorways . Is this the actual case and I ask simply because I never got a chance to expand on the conversation as my Lecturer Friend was rushing for a Train . I suppose if true this is a handy source of revenue , I was only reading the other week that Luton is the most polluted Town in the Country , the M1 complete with gantry Cameras effectively runs through it .

You exceeded the speed limit. What do you expect? The oft quoted tolerance is 10% + 2mph so 57 mph for a 50 limit. If you'd simply lifted your foot a bit and gone through at 55 you'd have been fine.

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

You exceeded the speed limit. What do you expect? The oft quoted tolerance is 10% + 2mph so 57 mph for a 50 limit. If you'd simply lifted your foot a bit and gone through at 55 you'd have been fine.

David I am not concerned with obtaining sympathy over my Speeding , what Member would on a Forum such as this ? I am more interested in finding out whether this Environmental Aspect actually exists as like many things if it does , I was completely ignorant of it .

Good Luck with those Tolerances because its my belief that they wont exist much longer .

Edited by Parahandy

Not a lot of help but for tens years  the motorway speed restriction signs and such like have  been brought into disrepute but an ongoing failure to turn them off as soon as the danger has been cleared. This dates back to the orange multi-segament displays in the centre reservation. Yours is a perfect example.

If "rules" are put in place without adequate explanation and justification they will be ignored by many and if they are enforced in a draconian manner as seems the case here then they are brought into even more disrespect.

After all if a police officer NOT going to an emergency can travel at all but double the speed limit through a bend and over double limit 100 yards down the road can cause a now proven innocent motorist to face very serious charges its permission to ignor the law by all and sundry.

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

When I was caught and attended a speed awareness course the message was, police did allow a leeway with cameras if the picture is taken action follows (and they are set to the speed limit).

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not a lot of help but for tens years  the motorway speed restriction signs and such like have  been brought into disrepute but an ongoing failure to turn them off as soon as the danger has been cleared. This dates back to the orange multi-segament displays in the centre reservation. Yours is a perfect example.

MY speed awareness course said if the have a red outline they are mandatory if not they are advisory so the orange ones in the central reservation are advisory.

6 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

David I am not concerned with obtaining sympathy over my Speeding , what Member would on a Forum such as this ? I am more interested in finding out whether this Environmental Aspect actually exists as like many things if it does , I was completely ignorant of it .

I'm with Parahnady on this. Not about speeding tickets but about local governments slowing traffic down to reduce emissions. Can I go faster in my electric car then? 

In Para's example though, the local gov plonkers need to realize that the way to reduce emissions is to get cars driving at a steady speed so having one set at 60, then one at 50, then the next at 60 is not only more emissions but potentially dangerous on crowded motorways.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

MY speed awareness course said if the have a red outline they are mandatory if not they are advisory so the orange ones in the central reservation are advisory.

Do you know Jerra , on this occasion I clearly set out with the best on intentions . I set off from MK with the Cruise Control set at 60mph , I had White Vans rocketing past and I had irate Lorry Drivers up my rear end and I never deviated from my 60mph in the left hand lane 😀 David Mack will be back on in a minute saying " I thought you werent looking for sympathy " 😀

Just let your number plate become obscured with road dirt, easy at this time of year, then go as fast as you like. In the unlikely event plod do see you, apologies for allowing it to get so dirty, and wipe it clean with a cloth. :D

Edited by Phil.

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

Do you know Jerra , on this occasion I clearly set out with the best on intentions . I set off from MK with the Cruise Control set at 60mph , I had White Vans rocketing past and I had irate Lorry Drivers up my rear end and I never deviated from my 60mph in the left hand lane 😀 David Mack will be back on in a minute saying " I thought you werent looking for sympathy " 😀

I know the feeling.   I tend also to be a bit along the lines of it is fundraising.   I was caught pulling uphill, 200 yards from the 30 sign with no reason for anybody to on the roadside to be in danger of my 32 mph.

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

The lorry drivers might have been irrate because you were only doing 54mph, when your speedo was reading 60. The speedos that I am acquainted with are all calibrated 10% higher than actual speed. The TomTom comfirms this, and also the many LED speed signs plastered around the city on lamposts. At 66mph, you would be doing 60mph. 

Some of the speed limits on the motoway may be set to calm the traffic and avoid jams further ahead. 

22 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I know the feeling.   I tend also to be a bit along the lines of it is fundraising.   I was caught pulling uphill, 200 yards from the 30 sign with no reason for anybody to on the roadside to be in danger of my 32 mph.

I agree but not only fund raising, also meeting targets and its far easier to get a successful prosecution f a random motorist than other criminals who are not required to show an easy form of identification. In fact if you keep your eyes peeled you all too often see evidence of apparent collusion between local authorities and the police to entrap motorists such as mising speed repeater signs, obscure speed limit signs and repeaters. Signs located so it is easy to think they apply to a side turning and so on.

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

The lorry drivers might have been irrate because you were only doing 54mph, when your speedo was reading 60. The speedos that I am acquainted with are all calibrated 10% higher than actual speed. The TomTom comfirms this, and also the many LED speed signs plastered around the city on lamposts. At 66mph, you would be doing 60mph. 

Some of the speed limits on the motoway may be set to calm the traffic and avoid jams further ahead. 

Well he now knows exactly what speed he was doing with cruise set to 60mph ... it will be on the letter with the details from the camera!

2 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Good Luck with those Tolerances because its my belief that they wont exist much longer .

I can’t see how a camera can tell how much CO2 is pumping out the back of a car, but it might perhaps be able to see visible black smoke.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

It is up to the local authority to set the limit. Some will prosecute at 0% over the limit, others at 10% over the limit. I have had to do one of the driver awareness courses.  

8 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I can’t see how a camera can tell how much CO2 is pumping out the back of a car, but it might perhaps be able to see visible black smoke.

I don't think that is what was inferred.  By making motorists reduce their speed it is erroneously believed that the vehicle will emit less. Completely ignoring, of course, that the vehicle will be accelerated back to the higher limit as soon as possible......

13 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

it is erroneously believed that the vehicle will emit less. 

Is it?

I can see peeps arguing both ways.

The gantries on the Leeds to Nottingham stretch of the M1 are indeed fitted with pollution monitoring equipment, and yes, this can lead to the mph restrictions, even when it doesnt look busy enough for them.

I didn't know that. What happens if the sniffer cams detect a high pollution level and cut the speed limit but the level remains high? Do they keep on cutting the speed limit till there is a tailback of idling engines creating more pollution than speeding cars?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I didn't know that. What happens if the sniffer cams detect a high pollution level and cut the speed limit but the level remains high? Do they keep on cutting the speed limit till there is a tailback of idling engines creating more pollution than speeding cars?

I wouldn't understand the science, but slowing down too much would require going down the gears and that would result in the engine revs going back up - and rise in combustion gases.

Edited by Higgs

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The gantries on the Leeds to Nottingham stretch of the M1 are indeed fitted with pollution monitoring equipment, and yes, this can lead to the mph restrictions, even when it doesnt look busy enough for them.

how on earth does a gantry mounted sensor monitor the exhaust fumes from a vehicle travelling underneath at speed?

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Thanks for the clarification Matty , I never knew this .

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Well he now knows exactly what speed he was doing with cruise set to 60mph ... it will be on the letter with the details from the camera!

I was doing 60mph which is in fact one of the qualifications for me being eligible to do the course . You are I believe allowed a maximum of 10mph above any signed limit and also it has to be at least three years  since you completed any similar course .