Jump to content
LadyG

Middle of Lidl

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Today, I got a 12v  pump, to extract diesel, and two 30m cords [£4.99 each] to hold down stuff on roof instead of my expensive Marlow ropes. The thin ones are twice as strong as the thick ones, sort of polyprop braid.

I am off to Lidl tomorrow for some of those ropes

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LadyG said:

Today, I got a 12v  pump, to extract diesel, and two 30m cords [£4.99 each] to hold down stuff on roof instead of my expensive Marlow ropes. The thin ones are twice as strong as the thick ones, sort of polyprop braid.

Do we need to put locks on our diesel fillers?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem about Aldi & Lidl is that you go for one thing and come out with a trolley load. I went down to Aldi yesterday for one of those folding trucks mentioned in another post. Got it but also came away with three tins of paint and a belt/disc sander / linisher which was red labelled down from £65 to £40 and is the same as a Scheppach one from Toolstation. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

The problem about Aldi & Lidl is that you go for one thing and come out with a trolley load. I went down to Aldi yesterday for one of those folding trucks mentioned in another post. Got it but also came away with three tins of paint and a belt/disc sander / linisher which was red labelled down from £65 to £40 and is the same as a Scheppach one from Toolstation. 

Recently I impulse bought a grit blaster tool from Lidl 'cos it was only a fiver, then I won an ebay bid for a cabinet to go with it but there's no room for it in my w'shop or shed 🙄

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Recently I impulse bought a grit blaster tool from Lidl 'cos it was only a fiver, then I won an ebay bid for a cabinet to go with it but there's no room for it in my w'shop or shed 🙄

 

35 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

The problem about Aldi & Lidl is that you go for one thing and come out with a trolley load. I went down to Aldi yesterday for one of those folding trucks mentioned in another post. Got it but also came away with three tins of paint and a belt/disc sander / linisher which was red labelled down from £65 to £40 and is the same as a Scheppach one from Toolstation. 

That's because you needed to put something on your new trolley.lol.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Recently I impulse bought a grit blaster tool from Lidl 'cos it was only a fiver, then I won an ebay bid for a cabinet to go with it but there's no room for it in my w'shop or shed 🙄

Yep, same problem. The scroll saw has had to give up its bench space for the sander, which will get a fair bit more use, so I could shoehorn it in the workshop. Mind you, my table saw lives in the kitchen and I have to shift it outside to use.

 

1 minute ago, Neil Smith said:

 

That's because you needed to put something on your new trolley.lol.

Problem is that the metal truck needs assembling (split pins). As I've got accustomed to these unexpected loads and being on foot, I had a rucksack and inside that the little plastic truck that I bought for the boat when they were marked down to a fiver the other week. Paint in rucksack, carrying metal truck and wheeling along the sander on the plastic truck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, aread2 said:

I bought 10m braided 14mm polypropylene rope from Aldi. Disappointed to find the core is made of something like j-cloths, not braided. Impossible to splice so pretty useless.

Well yes, it's to be expected, I have four 14 mm pontoon mooring ropes which I found on board, .probably from Lidl, I use them as springs.

I am no expert, but braided refers to the outer part, the cords I got were braided, the strength was on the packaging, one tonne and two tonne  imsr, I use them for non critical porpoises.

Marlow ropes for anything "testing". eg Ceira, Dennis etc.

Edited by LadyG
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 00:31, nbfiresprite said:

 

 

One thing comes to mind how may people on here have ever discharged a fire extinguisher to put a fire out either in training or actal fire? I suspect most have not. 

Good point, it all comes down to if you want to spend the money so that you can pass the BSS or have something a bit more substantial.     I have had two fires when I have been at sea and had to use both extingushers and also full on fire fighting hoses and CABA for real.     Not a plesant experince and would not recommend it to anyone.       The second one was worse as I was in command at the time and so had to sit tight on the bridge to co-ordinate whislt having to send in my lads to fight the fire and trust that the ChMate had the situation under control locally.

  • Horror 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2020 at 18:57, LadyG said:

Today, I got a 12v  pump, to extract diesel, 

Today I pumped out 70l of diesel, stopped whan  I got to particulates, put a few litres back in to stir up crud, then tried to extract the mucky diesel, pump will no longer work. Please advise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Today I pumped out 70l of diesel, stopped whan  I got to particulates, put a few litres back in to stir up crud, then tried to extract the mucky diesel, pump will no longer work. Please advise. 

I think it was suggested in an earlier thread that it was not suitable.

The slightest bit of gunge and they cease to exist, clog up, burn out, die.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think it was suggested in an earlier thread that it was not suitable.

The slightest bit of gunge and they cease to exist, clog up, burn out, die.

Not dead, yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

If you insist on saying that it is still alive and not dead, do please think about its quality of live whilst you keep it on a support system.

Like the goldfish in the dustbin saga, it will be given assistance tomorrow morning. I can do no more.

Edited by LadyG
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Today I pumped out 70l of diesel, stopped whan  I got to particulates, put a few litres back in to stir up crud, then tried to extract the mucky diesel, pump will no longer work. Please advise. 

No help at all but sorry, I did warn about those pumps and how they do not take kindly to small particles.

 

However the hoses make good syphons as long as you are happy to suck diesel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

No help at all but sorry, I did warn about those pumps and how they do not take kindly to small particles.

 

However the hoses make good syphons as long as you are happy to suck diesel.

Are you suggesting I get the boat lifted out first, or should I find a diver to the sucking?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Where is your diesel tank located then?

Most are in the stern behind the weed hatch

Yes, but I remember from siphoning [fuel, once only experience!] that the suck-inlet has to be lower than the output side.

Emptying the goldlfish tank was not quite so bad, involved  tap water, hose, bucket, thumbs.

Edited by LadyG
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.