Middle of Lidl

LadyG

Featured Posts

On 26/08/2020 at 15:24, mrsmelly said:

Is the Anglers Arms still open? 

Sorry for the delay in seeing your question. Not been logged in for a while.

In answer, yes, The Anglers is still open, as is the Bay opposite, both pubs I go in once in a while, they're decent enough.

Just now, BilgePump said:

Sorry for the delay in seeing your question. Not been logged in for a while.

In answer, yes, The Anglers is still open, as is the Bay opposite, both pubs I go in once in a while, they're decent enough.

Exellent. The missus and I used to run the Anglers years ago for the owners when they went on holidays. A very busy pub back then and no food available, still a proper boozer :cheers:

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

A very busy pub back then and no food available, still a proper boozer

I recall about 15 years ago when a local in a busy pub with food being brought out to just about every table commented "I can remember when this used to be a pub!"

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I recall about 15 years ago when a local in a busy pub with food being brought out to just about every table commented "I can remember when this used to be a pub!"

Restaurants are were food should be sold. Problem with food is that it takes far more staff to take the same amount of money that a busy boozer can take with just bar staff and no kitchen to mess with. Having run very big busy food operations and busy boozers without food I am sad to see the demise of proper boozers ? although there ares till one or two that make a living as a boozer rather than a cafe but non near my mooring :(

• Greenie 1

On 26/08/2020 at 19:50, blackrose said:

I have and it almost choked me and in spent the next day clearing up the mess. That was just a 1kg dry powder extinguisher. There's absolutely no way I'd want to set off a 6kg dry powder unit inside the boat. 

I had a small dry powder extinguisher in the boot of my company car as part of the emergency kit provided.

I carried a boot crammed full of samples, freebies and literature so when I opened the boot and discovered the extinguisher had spontaneously discharged I was horrified bu the mess, that powder is very fine and most of the contents of my boot just had to be binned. I sensibly decided that this was not a job for my domestic hoover and used the one at the petrol station, I’m not sure if it survived! 

I agree that setting off a dry powder extinguisher in a boat or my home would be a very last resort.   

2 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

I had a small dry powder extinguisher in the boot of my company car as part of the emergency kit provided.

I carried a boot crammed full of samples, freebies and literature so when I opened the boot and discovered the extinguisher had spontaneously discharged I was horrified bu the mess, that powder is very fine and most of the contents of my boot just had to be binned. I sensibly decided that this was not a job for my domestic hoover and used the one at the petrol station, I’m not sure if it survived! 

I agree that setting off a dry powder extinguisher in a boat or my home would be a very last resort.   

The problem is that the BSS regulation practically restrict extinguishers to powder. CO2 and water types just don't have the right number of brownie points

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

The problem is that the BSS regulation practically restrict extinguishers to powder. CO2 and water types just don't have the right number of brownie points

I carry the correct number and type (probably, opinions vary) and we are often in Belgium where inspections really do happen. I also carry a couple of out of date CO2 and an out of date something else (water?) powder is, as you say, a disaster and is really only on board to keep officials happy.

37 minutes ago, Bee said:

I carry the correct number and type (probably, opinions vary) and we are often in Belgium where inspections really do happen. I also carry a couple of out of date CO2 and an out of date something else (water?) powder is, as you say, a disaster and is really only on board to keep officials happy.

To be honest fire extinguishers are only on boats to help with any escape route and not to fight fires. First thing you do if you get a fire is to leave the boat by the easiest route and only pass any fire if its your only escape route aided by the fire extinguisher. Small fire extingusishers such as carried by most boaters are as much use as a chocolate fireguard in actualy extinguishing the fire. Sod the boat, get off it.

• Greenie 4

27 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

To be honest fire extinguishers are only on boats to help with any escape route and not to fight fires. First thing you do if you get a fire is to leave the boat by the easiest route and only pass any fire if its your only escape route aided by the fire extinguisher. Small fire extingusishers such as carried by most boaters are as much use as a chocolate fireguard in actualy extinguishing the fire. Sod the boat, get off it.

Well said

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Totally agree!!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I am not totally sure that the small powder extinguishers we have on the narrowboat to meet the BSC will even do that.  We have some CO2 ones in addition.  I agree though whatever anyone has on the boat the best way to cope with a fire is get out first.

Edited by churchward

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

This also true of house fires. Care homes staff have long had instructions not to attempt to fight a fire.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Can't help thinking you're forgetting your naval firefighting training here Tim.  A couple of 3" hoses, one with a jet/spray nozzle and the other with a spray/jet, set up a waterwall on the back doors, get the missus to train a jet on the base of the fire. Once it's knocked down, get in there to disrupt it, place the dog as a sentry. Jobs a good 'un! ;)

(Might need a better bilge pump)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Can't help thinking you're forgetting your naval firefighting training here Tim.  A couple of 3" hoses, one with a jet/spray nozzle and the other with a spray/jet, set up a waterwall on the back doors, get the missus to train a jet on the base of the fire. Once it's knocked down, get in there to disrupt it, place the dog as a sentry. Jobs a good 'un! ;)

Twer proper stuff then though innitt, not these toys we have nowadays :cheers:

10 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

Years ago when I was ar Ouston an old airfield we had a fire in motor maintenance I set off a 180 kilo dry powder extinguisher! We ended up using the fire hose to clean the place out, to say it was a mess was an understatement! Another not long afterwards went off on its own, looked like a snowstorm afterwards on the airfield 

Edited by peterboat

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Years ago when I was ar Ouston an old airfield we had a fire in motor maintenance I set off a 180 kilo dry powder extinguisher! We ended up using the fire hose to clean the place out, to say it was a mess was an understatement! Another not long afterwards went off on its own, looked like a snowstorm afterwards on the airfield 

When I worked at Birds Eye Foods it would guarantee a half day shutdown while the sanitation crew cleaned up the line, didn't happen that often

37 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I was a Civilian Instructor at RAF Syerston and RAF Newton.

As we had to take rota on the 'crash-teams' I did my Fire Training at RAF Newton, where we practised on old aircraft that they had set alight and filled with burning oily-rags, we had to try to rescue the occupants - fire extinguishers make no impact at all once a fire has taken hold.

"Get out and stay out"

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Ahh, a fun time at HMS Phoenix ?

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was a Civilian Instructor at RAF Syerston and RAF Newton.

As we had to take rota on the 'crash-teams' I did my Fire Training at RAF Newton, where we practised on old aircraft that they had set alight and filled with burning oily-rags, we had to try to rescue the occupants - fire extinguishers make no impact at all once a fire has taken hold.

"Get out and stay out"

I have to say it put the fire out in motor maintenance and nearly killed me! Dry powder is a vile messy business, at the garage a jag caught fire ( its DPF ) we used all the garage dry powder extinguishers but put it out in the end with the hose pipe, which helped clean the powder away at least