Middle of Lidl

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

And the rest of your boat, ie the bilge is probably 18 inches lower than the bottom of the fuel tank

I think I would need to hang upside down, gripping a tube in my teeth, have an indefinate number of washing up bowls and  saucepans to hand, then suck diesel about six foot along a 4mm hose ..... no, there has to be a better way ............. 

I have just cleaned engine hole. I do not intend to do it again, ever.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/02/2020 at 23:26, aread2 said:

I bought 10m braided 14mm polypropylene rope from Aldi. Disappointed to find the core is made of something like j-cloths, not braided. Impossible to splice so pretty useless.

It is possible to splice braided ropes but it's tricky

14 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

It is possible to splice braided ropes but it's tricky

Braid-on-braid is possible to splice (if you have the correct sized Fids) but the Aldi stuff defeated me - the centre core is just 'rubbish' (I see it was compared to J-cloth, not a bad comparison)

• 1 month later...

Bagpipes (noun) - I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made object never equalled the purity of sound achieved by the pig. -Alfred Hitchcock

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

8 hours ago, Boaty Jo said:

Bagpipes (noun) - I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made object never equalled the purity of sound achieved by the pig. -Alfred Hitchcock

The trouble with bagpipes is that when you've heard one tune, you've heard them both.

• Happy 1

On 26/01/2020 at 10:44, BilgePump said:

The Failsworth Aldi and Newton Heath Lidl are yards from the canal for anyone going up/down the Rochdale.

Yes, one of our favourite places to stop for a few days and do a bit of leisurely shopping. ?

.................Dave

3 hours ago, dmr said:

Yes, one of our favourite places to stop for a few days and do a bit of leisurely shopping. ?

.................Dave

As I've been boat cold turkey for six weeks, stuck at home, at least a walk out takes me down the canal and can do the shopping at the same time. 

18 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

As I've been boat cold turkey for six weeks, stuck at home, at least a walk out takes me down the canal and can do the shopping at the same time. 

You live in Newton Heath? Do you go for a pint in the canalside pub with the impressive fence around it?

..................Dave

41 minutes ago, dmr said:

You live in Newton Heath? Do you go for a pint in the canalside pub with the impressive fence around it?

..................Dave

I live in Failsworth, but yes the New Crown just down the road is (was) a decent place for for a pint. Met a couple of forum members / CaRT volunteers around there last year when the historic boats were going through.

Edited by BilgePump

23 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

I live in Failsworth, but yes the New Crown just down the road is (was) a decent place for for a pint. Met a couple of forum members / CaRT volunteers around there last year when the historic boats were going through.

It looks scary and the boat behind us did get a bit of trouble there last year, also I believe there is no real ale. I am told (by a CRT volunteer) that if one person goes in to get the beers it is then just possible to pass them out to the boat through the gaps in the fences.  I now know of two boats who have had to spend the night in Failsworth and neither had any trouble, but I would not choose to do it.

..................Dave

13 minutes ago, dmr said:

It looks scary and the boat behind us did get a bit of trouble there last year, also I believe there is no real ale. I am told (by a CRT volunteer) that if one person goes in to get the beers it is then just possible to pass them out to the boat through the gaps in the fences.  I now know of two boats who have had to spend the night in Failsworth and neither had any trouble, but I would not choose to do it.

..................Dave

Decent pub for a pint but not a pub for a decent pint, just bog standard. If you think that place is scary though, try the White Lion across the street from it. They open at 8am. See some messy states leaving there before lunch.  But the truth is none are scary if you don't go in being a cocky eedjet. As for mooring in Failsworth, I'd imagine best place would be beneath the flats in the basin. The plan years ago was to have a tiny marina there but never happened but plenty of space and safe enough. Won't pretend it goes through the poshest places but it took a lot to get the Rochdale reopened and it's a great bit of the network that deserves to be used and enjoyed.

5 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Decent pub for a pint but not a pub for a decent pint, just bog standard. If you think that place is scary though, try the White Lion across the street from it. They open at 8am. See some messy states leaving there before lunch.  But the truth is none are scary if you don't go in being a cocky eedjet. As for mooring in Failsworth, I'd imagine best place would be beneath the flats in the basin. The plan years ago was to have a tiny marina there but never happened but plenty of space and safe enough. Won't pretend it goes through the poshest places but it took a lot to get the Rochdale reopened and it's a great bit of the network that deserves to be used and enjoyed.

I agree it was a spectacular restoration. Its a bit of a viscous circle thing, it needs a better water supply, and the locals (mostly Newton Heath area but also Rochdale) need to stop throwing their motorbikes etc into it, until these things happen a lot of boaters will be put off, and these things won't get fixed till more boats use it.

Currently "locked in" in Hebden Bridge and unless it rains soon I suspect its going to run out of water again.

....................Dave

21 minutes ago, dmr said:

I agree it was a spectacular restoration. Its a bit of a viscous circle thing, it needs a better water supply, and the locals (mostly Newton Heath area but also Rochdale) need to stop throwing their motorbikes etc into it, until these things happen a lot of boaters will be put off, and these things won't get fixed till more boats use it.

Currently "locked in" in Hebden Bridge and unless it rains soon I suspect its going to run out of water again.

....................Dave

When I can get back to mine, it's going nowhere lower than Bosley or Marple. In all honesty I probably wouldn't have done this summer anyway but the chance would have been nice.

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

When I can get back to mine, it's going nowhere lower than Bosley or Marple. In all honesty I probably wouldn't have done this summer anyway but the chance would have been nice.

We've more or less decided to cancel this year and accept that we are now continuous moorers in Hebden Bridge, a truly wonderful place to be trapped.

It would be lovely to do some boating, a bit more than the 200 yards up to the water tap, so hope we can move a few miles later in the year.

My fear is that the lockdown will be lifted too much too soon (Boris will cave in to old Tory pressure) and there will be another bigger lockdown late autumn/early winter, and if this happens I would prefer to be trapped here in the Calder Valley.

..................Dave

12 hours ago, BilgePump said:

We all complain most bitterly about the loss of things we wanted to do but never would have done! (I demand my right to choose what I do not do!)

• 3 months later...

MIDDLE OF RETFORD

... been around the area for a while. Popped in to ASDA for a loaf of bread, picked up a nice wine [voignier] for £5,  and THREE bottles of Laphroiag Select [can one improve on perfection], normally £33-35/6, today £25!

Edited by LadyG

On 06/05/2020 at 20:59, BilgePump said:

Is the Anglers Arms still open? 

On 26/01/2020 at 00:31, nbfiresprite said:

Used one of these Aldi fire extinguishers last year, Not very good, empty in less than five seconds, only good for very small fire. Then had to grab one of my 6kg ones from my own boat to put the fire out. These small 1kg extinguishers are Ok to get you through a BSS, that's about all there are good for. I would not fit anything less than 4kg extinguishers. My own boats are fitted with two 6kg and a 4kg dry power extinguishers. It is a question of choice, You can just spend less than £30 just to pass the exam, Yet if what something that will do the Job. You will have to open the wallet which will be painful to everyone form Yorkshire or Scotland. Yet three 6kg extinguishers will only cost about £75 for the three. Less than average boat insurance excess. 

One thing comes to mind how may people on here have ever discharged a fire extinguisher to put a fire out either in training or actal fire? I suspect most have not. 

I have and it almost choked me and in spent the next day clearing up the mess. That was just a 1kg dry powder extinguisher. There's absolutely no way I'd want to set off a 6kg dry powder unit inside the boat. 

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I have and it almost choked me and in spent the next day clearing up the mess. That was just a 1kg dry powder extinguisher. There's absolutely no way I'd want to set off a 6kg dry powder unit inside the boat. 

Agreed.  At work I have both water and CO2.  Someone offered me a dry powder extinguisher and I graciously declined.  I don't have anything around that either water or CO2 can't deal with and I wouldn't want to choke myself and ruin everything around the unit with talc.  (Cue for someone to come along and tell me it's not talc!)

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Would you rather have a burnt out boat instead? Or watch someone burn to death? Than use a extinguisher that's up to the task required. If your in a remote area it maybe sometime before the fire service can get to you.  When I had to use the 6kg extinguisher, I used nearly all of it to put the fire out. Yes it made a bit of a mess, but better that, than the boat owner burnt alive.