Middle of Lidl

LadyG

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I guess that depends on what you mean by "a few" seconds.

Some years back I decided to harmlessly empty some old ones, (1Kg), both to see if they actually still worked, and because local tip will not take them if charged.

Each certainly ran continuously for over 10 seconds - arguably not "a few".

The resultant mess exceeded my wildest expectations.   Don't do it anywhere you care about!

How do you find any member of staff in a Lidl that isn't already on the checkout with an overly long queue though?  In my experience finding anyone actually on the shop floor is nigh impossible, and I have never seen a customer service desk of any kind.

Aldi is much the same.

Or am I just unlucky when I venture into either Lidl or Aldi?

you will also find you need to rent a trolley as they don:t pay for "trolley pushers"

think abut it.

35 minutes ago, Jerra said:

If by rent a trolley you mean use coins to release it, we have to do that at all our local supermarkets.

Sadly some supermarkets have specifically abandoned such a policy.
I believe Morrisons is one, and certainly we find their trolleys are more likely to end up in the cut where one of their stores is canal-side.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I believe Morrisons is one, and certainly we find their trolleys are more likely to end up in the cut where one of their stores is canal-side.

They should attach air bags to trolleys, that self inflate when immersed in water. Sorted! 

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

They should attach air bags to trolleys, that self inflate when immersed in water. Sorted! 

This might not go well when shoppers try to take their purchases to their car in a heavy thunderstorm!

13 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

There used to be an app that you could take a photo of a discarded trolley. It would take a grid reference and a company would trundle along and recover it. Did anyone actually put this to the test? Is it still active.

If we can, we usually pull them out and take them back to the "owning" supermarket....

Here our son David returned several from just one lock apron to a Morrisons beside the Rochdale canal....

IMG_6279.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

• Haha 1

On 26/01/2020 at 07:46, Alan de Enfield said:

I did my fire training with the RAF and it was regularly reinforced that "a fire extinguisher is there to allow you to create an exit from the room (boat) that you are in, it is rarely sufficient to fight the fire", and that was the 'big' 6kg+ types.

1Kg extinguishers are "BSS pass tickets" but will not actually operate for more than a few seconds.

I have 'full sized' Co2, foam and dry powder extinguishers, its is not so easy to just jump off and walk to the bank when on the sea, so you need to try and knock back the fire.

Ha vn't you got a deck hose on your sea boat Alan.

Edited by Neil Smith

11 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

It seems to vary from area to area.  We need coins for Sainsbury's but visit my daughter in Edinburgh and you don't need coins.

31 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If we can, we usually pull them out and take them back to the "owning" supermarket....

Here our son David returned several from just one lock apron to a Morrisons beside the Rochdale canal....

IMG_6279.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

Supermarket trolleys return to the canal to breed. If you take them back to the supermarket before they've found a mate then you aren't doing them any favours.

It is a majestic sight watching them leap over the lock gates to reach the summit level spawning pounds.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes

But I'd try a chemical / gas extinguisher 1st, rather than fill the boat with water - particularly as the 230v mains will be live.

Fair comment, I was thinking when your extinguisher runs out it would be a back up rather than take to the life raft.

• Happy 1

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes

But I'd try a chemical / gas extinguisher 1st, rather than fill the boat with water - particularly as the 230v mains will be live.

Watermist extinguishers can be used on live electrical installations up to 33kV.

Unfortunately they dont meet the BSS requirements for A ratings (already burning wood). I have both powder and watermist on board and know which i would use on electrics and engine fires tp avoid anything worse than a slight dampness.

https://www.budget-fire.co.uk/3ltr-water-mist-fire-extinguisher-ultrafire/?fGB=true&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsbrxBRDpARIsAAnnz_N6naWwO3PGRcJcP2ORoAjhWFg1SD0C1a4HmYRx1dFnZIrtEB8PXs4aAocsEALw_wcB

https://www.budget-fire.co.uk/6ltr-water-mist-fire-extinguisher-ultrafire/

Edited by cuthound
To add link

Lidl is awful. 

The geyser in charge lives in a fortified castle in Switzerland. There is a reason they do cheap stuff and it's not a good reason. 

I overheard a Spanish bloke saying "Jodido infierno" in a Lidl once. Nail hit on head. 

Hell hole. 

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Lidl is awful. 

The geyser in charge lives in a fortified castle in Switzerland. There is a reason they do cheap stuff and it's not a good reason. 

I overheard a Spanish bloke saying "Jodido infierno" in a Lidl once. Nail hit on head. 

Hell hole. 

Geyser? Your spurting nonsense again, young andrew. 

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But the suggestion was that I could use the deck-wash hose.

Having decided that I will no longer bother with the BSSC, I may look at Watermist extinguishers in future.

I used a Watermist estinguisher at a motorsport training day and was most impressed by it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Today, I got a 12v  pump, to extract diesel, and two 30m cords [£4.99 each] to hold down stuff on roof instead of my expensive Marlow ropes. The thin ones are twice as strong as the thick ones, sort of polyprop braid.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1