Middle of Lidl

LadyG

Featured Posts

OK, I picked up a fire extinguisher [1 Kg ABC], a desk lamp [2.4 watt, warm white LED], and tri-focal reading /craft glasses, total about £20, a nice haul, esp fire extinguisher under a tenner, they also had smoke alarms about £5.99.

I treated myself to a smooth blended malt, after all, it's Burn's Nicht, I have a real haggis, a turnip and a sack o' tatties in the larder. 

I'm going to learn the bagpipes this afternoon.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Happy 1

7 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

What's the rating on the extinguishers? 

If the picture is right then 8A 34B

At £8.99 that's a very good deal, I would say.

(Always assuming you can find any in stock, which is the problem I regularly have with Aldi special offers!......)

https://www.aldi.co.uk/1kg-fx-dry-powder-fire-extinguisher/p/700885326200800

49 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If the picture is right then 8A 34B

At £8.99 that's a very good deal, I would say.

(Always assuming you can find any in stock, which is the problem I regularly have with Aldi special offers!......)

https://www.aldi.co.uk/1kg-fx-dry-powder-fire-extinguisher/p/700885326200800

That's because LadyG went to Lidl !!

• Haha 1

They were down to the last one in Aldi here yesterday. You have to love the stuff with red price labels. Got some axle stands for a fiver and two fuel cans for three squid recently. Often markdowns on power tools too and they are usually bargain cheap to start with.

Used one of these Aldi fire extinguishers last year, Not very good, empty in less than five seconds, only good for very small fire. Then had to grab one of my 6kg ones from my own boat to put the fire out. These small 1kg extinguishers are Ok to get you through a BSS, that's about all there are good for. I would not fit anything less than 4kg extinguishers. My own boats are fitted with two 6kg and a 4kg dry power extinguishers. It is a question of choice, You can just spend less than £30 just to pass the exam, Yet if what something that will do the Job. You will have to open the wallet which will be painful to everyone form Yorkshire or Scotland. Yet three 6kg extinguishers will only cost about £75 for the three. Less than average boat insurance excess. 

One thing comes to mind how may people on here have ever discharged a fire extinguisher to put a fire out either in training or actal fire? I suspect most have not. 

Edited by nbfiresprite

12 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I've found the same on the few occasions I've gone there to get a product for a price mentioned on here. Always none on sale. Given the time wasted I'd have been better of going to Wickes or B&Q and paying full price, then getting on with earning money.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've found the same on the few occasions I've gone there to get a product for a price mentioned on here. Always none on sale. Given the time wasted I'd have been better of going to Wickes or B&Q and paying full price, then getting on with earning money.

But then your not short of a bob or two, Time is afterall money

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It takes me12 mins to cycle to Lidl, The DIY sheds are  in the same locus a few minutes further away.

I don't go specially, except for  1Kg packs of absolutely delicious bacon (ham) offcuts for about £1.69.

My fire extinguisher strategy is safety in numbers .... different ages, models, different sizes from 2 Kg down to 500 gm, two oldest out side at the bow, three in engine room, one near bed, one in galley, two in saloon. I might get a CO2 for engine/diesel heater compartment, need to fit special access ports.

@nbfiresprite   We had fire extinguisher demo in science ... spectacular, as the force of the Co2 shot the ighted newspaper ( the Glasgow Herald was a broadsheet) from one end of the room to the other,  where one boy (Brian, with the red hair) had the foresight to stamp on it with his size 10's before the school burned down. That was a few years ago!

Edited by LadyG

7 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

One thing comes to mind how may people on here have ever discharged a fire extinguisher to put a fire out either in training or actal fire? I suspect most have not. 

I did my fire training with the RAF and it was regularly reinforced that "a fire extinguisher is there to allow you to create an exit from the room (boat) that you are in, it is rarely sufficient to fight the fire", and that was the 'big' 6kg+ types.

1Kg extinguishers are "BSS pass tickets" but will not actually operate for more than a few seconds.

I have 'full sized' Co2, foam and dry powder extinguishers, its is not so easy to just jump off and walk to the bank when on the sea, so you need to try and knock back the fire.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I did my fire training with the RAF and it was regularly reinforced that "a fire extinguisher is there to allow you to create an exit from the room (boat) that you are in, it is rarely sufficient to fight the fire", and that was the 'big' 6kg+ types.

1Kg extinguishers are "BSS pass tickets" but will not actually operate for more than a few seconds.

I have 'full sized' Co2, foam and dry powder extinguishers, its is not so easy to just jump off and walk to the bank when on the sea, so you need to try and knock back the fire.

But in the sea, so long as you have a bucket, you have unlimited water?

21 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

(Always assuming you can find any in stock, which is the problem I regularly have with Aldi special offers)

A simple way of ensuring you get the stock is to order it online a day or two ahead of its release in the shop. If its above £20, delivery is free too.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I guess that depends on what you mean by "a few" seconds.

Some years back I decided to harmlessly empty some old ones, (1Kg), both to see if they actually still worked, and because local tip will not take them if charged.

Each certainly ran continuously for over 10 seconds - arguably not "a few".

The resultant mess exceeded my wildest expectations.   Don't do it anywhere you care about!

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

A simple way of ensuring you get the stock is to order it online a day or two ahead of its release in the shop. If its above £20, delivery is free too.

How do you find any member of staff in a Lidl that isn't already on the checkout with an overly long queue though?  In my experience finding anyone actually on the shop floor is nigh impossible, and I have never seen a customer service desk of any kind.

Aldi is much the same.

Or am I just unlucky when I venture into either Lidl or Aldi?

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The resultant mess exceeded my wildest expectations.   Don't do it anywhere you care about!

I found this too. I once had whisps of smoke wafting out from under the back cabin floor for reasons I could not determine. I lifted a board and decided to give a squirt with a fire extinguisher in an attempt to put out whatever was smoking. After about half a second I stopped the fire extinguisher, deciding the the fire would be preferable. 

Never found out what it was. No electricals under there that I could find. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

How do you find any member of staff in a Lidl that isn't already on the checkout with an overly long queue though?  In my experience finding anyone actually on the shop floor is nigh impossible, and I have never seen a customer service desk of any kind.
Aldi is much the same.
Or am I just unlucky when I venture into either Lidl or Aldi?

Who mentioned customer service desks??

Go to Aldi Special Buys (here's a link to next Thursdays  https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/dates/2020-01-30) ....and order whatever you want. It usually says (these items may not be available yet) but gives you a delivery date, and it tends to be delivered early.

I would say that Aldi Hemel Hempstead probably has too many boating customers, try the one at the top end of Towcester A5, it is a new model store and has larger stock levels.

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Who mentioned customer service desks??

Go to Aldi Special Buys (here's a link to next Thursdays  https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/dates/2020-01-30) ....and order whatever you want. It usually says (these items may not be available yet) but gives you a delivery date, and it tends to be delivered early.

I would say that Aldi Hemel Hempstead probably has too many boating customers, try the one at the top end of Towcester A5, it is a new model store and has larger stock levels.

My error!

I misread your post as "for its release in the shop" - I thought you meant place an order to be picked up.

Apologies - too early for me to be up, apparently! ?

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

The Failsworth Aldi and Newton Heath Lidl are yards from the canal for anyone going up/down the Rochdale.

If only we had known.

We were holed up with "Flamingo" by the Rose of Lancaster for over 4 weeks last year when that lock gate self-destructed at Failsworth.

We could have kept ourselves active by frequent visits to both these stores!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I found this too. I once had whisps of smoke wafting out from under the back cabin floor for reasons I could not determine. I lifted a board and decided to give a squirt with a fire extinguisher in an attempt to put out whatever was smoking. After about half a second I stopped the fire extinguisher, deciding the the fire would be preferable. 

Never found out what it was. No electricals under there that I could find. 

And in wall cavities and underfloor spaces across the country, at meetings of the maritime branch of The Rodent Rollup Smokers Association, they still speak in awe and hushed tones of “the day the powder came” ?

• Happy 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

(snip)

@nbfiresprite   We had fire extinguisher demo in science ... spectacular, as the force of the Co2 shot the ighted newspaper ( the Glasgow Herald was a broadsheet) from one end of the room to the other,  where one boy (Brian, with the red hair) had the foresight to stamp on it with his size 10's before the school burned down. That was a few years ago!

An example of how NOT to use a fire extinguisher!

1) wrong type (No "A" rating for CO2 )

2) bad aim. Objective is to blanket the fire, not blast it.