Roof and side walls in bedroom growing black mould

clendee

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

We recently purchased a narrowboat that needs a bit of work. The boat has wooden roofing and side wall tongue and groove (I think) slats throughout.

The slats in the bedroom appear not to have been varnished or treated in any way (ie they look different to all the other wooden roof slats) and gets a black mould regularly.

The other rooms in the boat have treated wooden slats and dont get this black mould.

My question is what varnish or treatment should we put on the bedroom slats to stop the dampness and mould coming on them?

Thanks for your time,

45 minutes ago, clendee said:

My question is what varnish or treatment should we put on the bedroom slats to stop the dampness and mould coming on them?

Is  the rest of the woodwork done in  gloss, satin or matt? If it were me, I would try and keep it the same throughout, unless the mould is irremovable. Try rubbing it down with sandpaper.If that doesn't work , you could try oxalic acid and a mild bleach solution to remove the mould. If all else fails, you may have to paint over it.

Edited by rusty69

Can we be clear that the tongue and groove boards you are looking at on the inside are not the same woodwork as is forming the actual "outer" structure of the boat, (which will probably have additionally some sheet material as an outer covering.

By that I mean hopefully there is some layer of insulation between the wood you are having problems with on the inside, and the outer shell of the cabin.

If there isn't, I think it will be hard to solve.  Boats need a layer of insulation behind all inner sides and ceilings.

Thanks for all your comments.

Yes there is a layer of insulation between the wooden tongue and groove and the outer metal shell.  However, in the bedroom area, there is no insulation under the gunwhale (I just looked up that term now, I hope Im using the right one) currently and there are drips of water there.

Were waiting until the weather gets dry to tackle that.

8 minutes ago, clendee said:

Thanks for all your comments.

Yes there is a layer of insulation between the wooden tongue and groove and the outer metal shell.  However, in the bedroom area, there is no insulation under the gunwhale (I just looked up that term now, I hope Im using the right one) currently and there are drips of water there.

Were waiting until the weather gets dry to tackle that.

Ah that clarifies.

When you said " The boat has wooden roofing " I wrongly took your meaning as it is a boat with a wooden topped cabin.

12 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Is  the rest of the woodwork done in  gloss, satin or matt? If it were me, I would try and keep it the same throughout, unless the mould is irremovable. Try rubbing it down with sandpaper.If that doesn't work , you could try oxalic acid and a mild bleach solution to remove the mould. If all else fails, you may have to paint over it.

Reading this back. I would like to clarify that I meant Bleach to remove the mould and Oxalic acid to remove the staining.

Not necessarily mixing them together. I have no idea what would happen if you did. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

Reading this back. I would like to clarify that I meant Bleach to remove the mould and Oxalic acid to remove the staining.

Not necessarily mixing them together. I have no idea what would happen if you did. 

Hahaha, thanks for your thoughts.

I'll probably use a bleach to remove and find the right gloss stainer to paint over.

38 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If you mix em together and stick a metal fork in one side an a lollipop stick in the other them you will have a half decent battery!?

• Haha 1