victron multiplus loud humming noise. Is this normal?

serenility

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, serenility said:

I have just installed a brand new victron multi plus 12/1600/70 inverter charger. the hum in all modes is enough to disturb sleep. Is this normal?

No, certainly not at light loads. The hum is typically caused by slight loose windings or core in a transformer. Probably not any sign of impending failure but none the less annoying.

12 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Send it back.

Precisely.

Retailers now fall over backwards to keep customers happy - even if privately they 'might' consider a complaint unreasonable.

None of my Sterling kit hums - and folks on here rate Charles' stuff second or third tier kit. (I don't....)

42 minutes ago, serenility said:

Thanks everyone. I will try mounting it on a thick steel plate to see if that improves it. However I don't feel I should have to!

Give Onboard Energy a call tomorrow and see what they say. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you sort this out?

Just before Christmas we had a Victron Multi Plus 12/1600/70 installed. Before we turned it on I was warned it would make a loud hummm for the first 4 to 6 hours while it brought the charge of the battery bank up (from about 12.2v). After about 3 or 4 hours it went much quieter and stays quiet. If we go away for a long weekend and turn everything off, when we get back and turn it on, it humms quite loudly for an hour or two as it puts 14.6v into the batteries to fully charge them, then the sound dies down again. 

Edited by Jim Batty

I'm about to mount it on a 1 inch thick mild steel plate. If the hum is still excessive then it goes back.

Interestingly Victron told me that I had to deal with the retailer (Midland Chandlers) and that they would be in touch with me but silence so far.

On 24/01/2020 at 18:08, serenility said:

I have just installed a brand new victron multi plus 12/1600/70 inverter charger. the hum in all modes is enough to disturb sleep. Is this normal?

No one has asked what the tune is yet. Can it hum a lullaby?

My Victron hums a bit under load. The isolation transformer does too. Fortunately they are at the other end of the boat from the bedroom.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies