Horn and tunnel light

Galilee

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, cuthound said:

But what checks that the flashing red warning light is working? ?

Have it fail safe obviously. Ideally you need a loud siren as well as the flashing red warning lamp as you may not notice a warning light, but sound does grab you attention. If the tunnel lamp is off, or if it is working normally, then the siren and bright flashing red light are all on. The system checks the bulb resistance with a low voltage pulse at all times. Only when the filament in the tunnel light bulb breaks do they stop. Can't be too careful. Running the risk of entering a tunnel without a working tunnel light needs every effort to avoid. I'm surprised that such a system isn't mandatory on the boat safety scheme.

It could be extended to all the boat systems. A different siren sound and colour of warning light for each to aid easy fault finding. Walking towards your boat after an evening at the pub, you'll be able to instantly diagnose that the reading lamp above the bed has a blown bulb as the cuckoo clock siren and puce warning light has stopped, or that the cuckoo clock and puce warning light have both failed at the same time, but that is much less likely. Those boaters moored near you will be glad to know they have picked such a safe boat to share mooring space with.

If all the warning sirens and lights have stopped, then a possible explanation is either the batteries are flat, or someone has reconfigured the system hardware with an axe.

Jen?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Have it fail safe obviously. Ideally you need a loud siren as well as the flashing red warning lamp as you may not notice a warning light, but sound does grab you attention. If the tunnel lamp is off, or if it is working normally, then the siren and bright flashing red light are all on. The system checks the bulb resistance with a low voltage pulse at all times. Only when the filament in the tunnel light bulb breaks do they stop. Can't be too careful. Running the risk of entering a tunnel without a working tunnel light needs every effort to avoid. I'm surprised that such a system isn't mandatory on the boat safety scheme.

It could be extended to all the boat systems. A different siren sound and colour of warning light for each to aid easy fault finding. Walking towards your boat after an evening at the pub, you'll be able to instantly diagnose that the reading lamp above the bed has a blown bulb as the cuckoo clock siren and puce warning light has stopped, or that the cuckoo clock and puce warning light have both failed at the same time, but that is much less likely. Those boaters moored near you will be glad to know they have picked such a safe boat to share mooring space with.

If all the warning sirens and lights have stopped, then a possible explanation is either the batteries are flat, or someone has reconfigured the system hardware with an axe.

Jen?

Its sunk with the weight of silly alarms or the neighbour has drilled it.

Edited by Boater Sam

17 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Its sunk with the weight of silly alarms or the neighbour has drilled it.

A moral victory. The boat may have gone to the bottom, but you'll know it sank with all its light bulbs intact. Perhaps a siren could play "Abide with me" as it goes down.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen?

Just imagine how complex the redundancy system would have to be for something really important like a "waste tank full" light! ???

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

While an air canister horn may prove useful I am surprised a fitted horn isn't considered essential equipment.

Are sound signals not generally used on the canals ?

Stand by for "what are sound signals ?"

Col-Regs ……………………………. 'wot u talkin about Willis' ?

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Stand by for "what are sound signals ?"

"I was out on the boat last week and when approaching a narrow bit some bloke coming the other way must have been in a hurry - he blew his horn three times at me.  I obviously stopped so he could come through and then he just waited there for ages.  Some people are just so rude ... "

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

"I was out on the boat last week and when approaching a narrow bit some bloke coming the other way must have been in a hurry - he blew his horn three times at me.  I obviously stopped so he could come through and then he just waited there for ages.  Some people are just so rude ... "

Maybe he has a stutter?

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Absolutely awful.

I think I would just have carried on.

I have had 5-'blasts' directed at me whilst weaving amongst the container ships, Ferries and Tankers when coming up the Humber.

letting-off-steam.png

Edited by Alan de Enfield