Horn and tunnel light

Galilee

Featured Posts

I have to install a horn on the narrowboat we're buying. Having searched around a bit on the forum, I see a few people saying you can install the horn on the same 12v circuit as the tunnel light. That seems easiest, no new wires to run etc., but how do you install the switches to make them independent? I don't see a huge problem with flashing the light whilst using the horn, but going through tunnels with the horn blaring is going to be annoying for everybody.

Thanks, Stuart.

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The horn could be at the stern end of the boat. Nothing to say that it must be at the bow, so no need to run extra wires down the length.

Jen

Just make sure it's facing forwards, and not towards you.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

I'd be tempted to try one of these 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-10A-Relay-1CH-Wireless-RF-Remote-Control-Switch-Transmitter-Receiver-AS-/264520634015

£5

If the receiver aerial was in a line of sight I think it would work. For the horn. 

Set it to non latching then pressing the fob button would activate the horn. Releasing button would stop it. 

The headlight is more critical you don't want that failing in a tunnel so keep that hard wired to the existing switch. 

ETA obviously this would mean the headlight would need to be switched on when horn actuated otherwise there is no power there. 

Edited by magnetman

Well you could do it thus, at a pinch, although it’s not a method I’d recommend.

the horn and the light are both wired across the two existing wires, except that each has a diode in series with the device, but the diodes are pointing in opposite directions. You then have a double pole switch (centre off) - switch one way puts the + and - onto the wires, switch the other way puts the + and - onto the wires but the other way round. According to which wire is +, the device whose diode conducts in that direction, will operate. Need big diodes to take the maximum current plus a chunk of reserve.

Edited by nicknorman

The other approach is to put switches beside the headlamp and the horn themselves. So while cruising you switch off the head lamp and while in tunnels you switch off the horn. 

It's unusual to want the horn in a tunnel.

It means going to front of boat before and after tunnels to do the switches but that is not too terrible. 

That way the existing single switch at the helm position does not need disturbing. 

ETA probably worth carrying a manual horn in case you DO want the horn in a tunnel... 

Edited by magnetman

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Use a remote door bell thingy to sound the horn.

Or have a remote controlled door bell as the horn. Ding Dong!

38 minutes ago, Galilee said:

Six useful answers in 6 minutes! Thanks everyone, what a great community this is :)

Did that include the shouting very loudly one?!

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Exactly what I have. I wired the boat for a horn but never fitted one. Every morning before setting off it's tillar arm, tillar pin, horn. In the evening it's the reverse. A gas cylinder every ????years

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Harecastle tunnelkeepers now require you to show that your horn is working before entry. Follows various problems as you need to sound it as emergency signal in tunnel.

They also won't accept a horn you have to blow, in case exhaust fumes in the tunnel mean you can't get enough puff together. They have in the past lent out a gas powered horn for the passage.

Jen

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

It means going to front of boat before and after tunnels to do the switches but that is not too terrible. 

The wise boater would go to the front before entering the tunnel anyway, to make sure the tunnel light is working (before it's too late).

No need to ask why I know this ... 

Edited by Machpoint005
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

The wise boater would go to the front before entering the tunnel anyway, to make sure the tunnel light is working (before it's too late).

The even wiser boater would have a monitoring system that checks current is being taken by the light filament when it’s switched on, and flashes a red warning light at the helm if it isn’t.

Another aspect to it is that it is actually better to have the tunnel light mounted by the hatches. As long as it is high enough to be seen from in front of the boat this is the ideal arrangement. 

It lights the top of the boat and tunnel sides making it easier to steer. 

Not sure how the tunnel keepers would view it though to be fair. Maybe they require a working horn and a bow mounted lamp. In which case the best solution is obviously the hand held air horn as mentioned previously. 

12 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

The even wiser boater would have a monitoring system that checks current is being taken by the light filament when it’s switched on, and flashes a red warning light at the helm if it isn’t.

The wisest boater sends their partner up front with a big torch and a spare set of batteries.

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

careful, you'll have someone along in a minute with a CANbus system that if the tunnel light stops drawing current mid-tunnel it switches the front cabin lights on and opens the bow doors...

14 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The wisest boater sends their partner up front with a big torch and a spare set of batteries.

You have a partner that runs in batteries?...

.... I won't ask!

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

careful, you'll have someone along in a minute with a CANbus system that if the tunnel light stops drawing current mid-tunnel it switches the front cabin lights on and opens the bow doors...

That reminds me of the Herald of Free Enterprise.

Edited by Boater Sam