Bad damp in wardrobe

RedsfanUk

Featured Posts

Hi,so we've been to view to a boat we like,just a quick question about something we've found,that doesn't add up. 

It looked a nice and tidy boat,but in the bedroom wardrobe, the floor panel is very very damp and so is the back wooden wall of the wardrobe. We removed the wet floor panel of the wardrobe to find the water pump underneath which looked fine and there were cobwebs etc  no sign of damp.

The seller's explanation was that a new water pump was fitted last year after the last one leaked badly. Which has caused this bad dampness. I am new to this boating business so I'm just thought I'd ask here,does this explanation sound reasonable? I'm going to get it surveyed if I proceed,bit just thought I'd ask for advice. Could it be something really bad?

Do you have a photo of it? Not to sound blasé about it but you won't find many boats without a damp patch somewhere unless it's relatively new but even then it won't be immune. - Truth is boats are obviously in a naturally damp environment and are also prone to condensation which can cause damp. That said some boats are worse than others. Water pumps are also prone to failure after 3-4 years of frequent use at which point they can start to leak. Oftentimes it goes unnoticed and thus damp will occur. This is a common issue. I have had this issue twice in 4 years and have had to replace the pump on both occasions. Not a big job but will inevitably cause water damage/damp if not rectified quickly. 

43 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

How long ago last year was the pump replaced? If a month ago, it would still be wet. If 3 months ago, you would expect it to have dried significantly.

9months ago it sounds. I just thought under the board where the pump is situated would of been damp too(appears dry)... but the damp appears to be all above it. 

Edited by RedsfanUk

OP darling, I'm drunk. But quite good at buying boats.

And 6 years before I did that I bought a flat. With mould behind the wardrobe (and in a few other bits).

I behaved in my normally extravagant (not overly, but not budgetting either) way with heating and opened windows when I fancied.

The mould never came back after I wiped it off with a damp cloth. And the anti-humidity tablets/little devices left by the previous owner are all still intact. 6 YEARS LATER.

Boats are even more sensitive to lifestyle than flats (physically surrounded by other flats, etc, etc).

• Happy 1