Boy dies after attempt to jump lock goes wrong

mayalld

Featured Posts

I jumped across a narrow bridge hole once.  Everything went fine till I landed on the far side, failed to stop and nutted the edge of the arch, hard.

The square bruise lasted about 3 weeks?

N

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

Droylsden Academy is a secondary school in Droylsden, Manchester. It opened in September 2009 on the site of the former Droylsden School, Mathematics and Computing College for Girls which it replaced. The former Littlemoss High School for Boys was also replaced by this school.

Today the school is closed- a mark of respect?

Edited by Heartland

1 minute ago, buccaneer66 said:

I did used to jump from the open gate on a narrow lock to the closed gate but isn't so far, can't do it now too old.

My missus did that for years till about 20 years ago when she slipped and was lucky to hang on. Always walks round every time since. 

So sad and so avoidable. I have seen lots of lads jump locks over the years, fortunately without incident. Jumping across Bugsworth Basin is also popular.

The strangest was in 2001, near Monkey Marsh Lock on the K&A, where a few lads had festooned an old bike with inflated inner tubes and were riding it down the hill and into the cut, then recovering the barely floating bike and doing it all over again.

12 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

I did used to jump from the open gate on a narrow lock to the closed gate but isn't so far, can't do it now too old.

Both me and the OH do this all the time...but only after quick mental risk assessment...eg wet? Toe board intact? Handrail to grab? Etc....in other words using common sense! 

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Both me and the OH do this all the time...but only after quick mental risk assessment...eg wet? Toe board intact? Handrail to grab? Etc....in other words using common sense! 

I promised myself to stop gate stepping once I turned 60, and briefly did. I started to walk round a lock when a lady who was watching asked me why I was going the long way rather than stepping the gate. I explained. She said,ok I'll step over and do the gate for you, and I'm 70. ?

Have seen lots of lock jumping, especially at Star lock in Stone.7 foot is a bad width, it looks easy to a fit a teenager, but it only takes a little hesitation in the run up to make it all go wrong.

...............Dave

Just now, dmr said:

Have seen lots of lock jumping, especially at Star lock in Stone.7 foot is a bad width, it looks easy to a fit a teenager, but it only takes a little hesitation in the run up to make it all go wrong.

Most single locks can be see to be 8ft or more wide when you look at the 6"-12"" gap each side of your boat in one, so there is the slight mislead. The lads 'know' the lock is 7ft wide when actually it is probably 8ft or a bit more.

The second thing is misjudging an 8ft leap over sand in athletics at skool results in nothing much, and an 8ft leap over a full lock looks just as benign but it isn't. Land even a couple of inches short on a lock jump and your feet stop dead against the lock side and your shins get smashed from body momentum and then you fall back into the lock as there is nothing to grab hold of.

There is so little upside to jumping over a lock and so much potential downside that although it looks easy, I've never tried it. 

I see the article says there were three girls present when he performed his leap....

"My" narrow boat captain, when he was a youngster, used to jump from the lock side to the closed gate on the other side of the lock, on the GU.

He was with his uncle, Oxford Tommy, on one occasion and did this.

Oxford Tommy said to him "If I catch you doing that again H******s, I'll knock your F'ing block off."

He never did it again!

As a side, he has witnessed a boating youth attempt one of the Oxford Locks and break his neck in the process.

Edited by Ray T

36 minutes ago, Detling said:

Note the time 1800 hours so not only a daft thing but in the dark?  One has to feel sorry for the parents, but has he been allowed to assess risk before as a nipper and get grazed knees and elbows as his reward for getting it wrong.

It states that they retrieved him at 18.00 but had been there for an hour, just before dark.

54 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Oxford Tommy said to him "If I catch you doing that again H******s, I'll knock your F'ing block off."

Just as well he never saw me (though he wasn't my uncle anyway ?). I did bang my knee leaping from the closed bottom gate at Denham across the open 7+ foot to the other side to close the second one and never did it there again. Definitely much too old now.

Tam

19 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Just as well he never saw me (though he wasn't my uncle anyway ?). I did bang my knee leaping from the closed bottom gate at Denham across the open 7+ foot to the other side to close the second one and never did it there again. Definitely much too old now.

Tam

Which end of the lock at Denham?

9 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Reminds me of me when I was young, yeah it was stupid but if it wasn't dangerous it wasn't worth doing it. I used to hate it when boring old farts tut tutted, now I'm a boring old fart but wouldn't dream of being disapproving. 

Trouble is we had common sense mostly ....and parents that would tell you off for being stupid....that’s now lacking and everything is someone’s fault apart from their angelic brats. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Trouble is we had common sense mostly ....and parents that would tell you off for being stupid....that’s now lacking and everything is someone’s fault apart from their angelic brats. 

Oh yes. Common sense is exclusive to the older generation. And each generation talks down the next generation. 

• Greenie 2