Hammocks are for pirates...

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Very noisy things, ceilidhs. Lots of whooping and cheering. Those Americans got their Yee Haws from somewhere. :D

Driving through Florida many years ago we saw a sign for Yeehaw Junction. After we stopped laughing it must have been at least 15 minutes before we stopped yelling “Yee Haw” at each other at the tops of our lungs. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Well, that would certainly be interesting and might confuse any walkers on the towpath. ?

Much as I like a good reel, you might need a Duke of Perth rather than a Dashing White Sergeant lest everybody all fall over themselves ?, A Gay Gordons would need really teeny weeny steps and you couldn't go off course at the twirly bits or you might face plant into a wall, but if every one all stood really close you could probably pull off a Strip the Willow with out too much incident. Could you make sure you film it all though cos that I really want to see. :D

ETA - But you could swap Country Dancing for Highland and then you could Sword Dance and Hornpipe with out much ado. 

I'm disappointed in you @Tumshie.  What you need is a modern rock ceieleigh band like Bahookie

If the videos on youtube don't hook you try their website at https://bahookie.org/

• Happy 1

Assuming I don't want bean bags at floor level (due to puppy training / have you ever tried to wash those beans reasons)... What do people have for lounge seating that folds away? I already have a dinette so this would be a sofa equivalent.

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

17 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

What you need is a modern rock ceieleigh band like Bahookie

Don't you swear at me young Biccies. 

17 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

ceieleigh band

Was you dinking - you seem to be slurring your words a little there. ?

I don't think anybody would call me a truly patriotic Scot but you'll not see me walk past a piper in a hurry. 

The Red Hot Chilli Pipers might be a bit twee but they're fun

And then there's the Aussie that Scotland adopted....

13 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

That was something else - where do we put the band and the caller? :blink:

One of the good things about Celtic bands is that they never get so famous they they aren't the guys in the acoustic session down your local, so they're all quite well house trained and pretty good a squashing onto small spaces to reel off a set. At one point these were the chaps next-door, and I didn't have a teeny tiny crush on the guy in the hat ? . 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZjMuIALjR4

Edited by Tumshie
Cos there's two fs in off

Personally I can't stand the bagpipes, reminds me of the awful off key drone of Oasis. Driving up to Glasgow overnight years ago I had local radio on my radio. Interesting going through listening to all the different counties local radio. Topping Shap on the M74 suddenly coming and going on the air waves but getting stronger as I progressed, bloomin bagpipes from a Scottish radio station. I prefer Jools Hollands new years eve show rather than Andy Stewart letting the wind blow high and the wind blow low, Donalds lost his troozers. :)

Edited by bizzard

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Personally I can't stand the bagpipes,

I can absolutely understand why other people don't like them, but even as a kid I loved pipe bands, my grandparents would listen to Jimmy Shand on radio scotland each week with out fail and I would grumble a bit about that, but it grows on you. 

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I can absolutely understand why other people don't like them, but even as a kid I loved pipe bands, my grandparents would listen to Jimmy Shand on radio scotland each week with out fail and I would grumble a bit about that, but it grows on you. 

As a kid we were subject to keeping quiet whilst ''Sing something simple'' was on the wireless, it came on at 4pm on Sunday afternoon, whenever we visited uncles and aunts on Sundy it was always the same, shush!! Sing something simples on. Singing groups, like ''The Mike Sams singers'' to name one singing all the old numbers.

I also remember sleeping in a drawer on the floor as a baby and being weighed in a basket thing in the chemists, later on the enormous Avery scales in Woolworths. Being dosed with cod liver oil and national elf orange juice and the terrible Parishes Food tonic, I'm still full of the iron in it.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Being dosed with cod liver oil and national elf orange juice and the terrible Parishes Food tonic,

What was national health orange juice? Did you take it with the cod liver oil? Cos that just sounds bouffin :sick:

11 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

What was national health orange juice? Did you take it with the cod liver oil? Cos that just sounds bouffin :sick:

Early 1950's. They both came free in sort of medicine bottles. Tooked separately. I was breeding moths from catapillars at the time.

I called it tooked instead of taked at that age.

Edited by bizzard

8 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I called it tooked instead of taked at that age.

I had a friend at school who used to use his words like that, instead of saying 'I was outside playing' he would say things like 'I wurs outside playing', I liked him, he was cool. He had a set of wellingtons, one of which got a hole in from a burn when he was helping his dad out in the workshop, so he went back in and asked his mum to patch it up, she did so and about a week later he took it off, when she asked why he'd done that he said that he's thought it would have healed by then. He's grown up to be still just as wonderful and he and his lovely wife have raised lots of little people who are just like him. :)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

As a kid we were subject to keeping quiet whilst ''Sing something simple'' was on the wireless...

... and here’s something simple to sing...

With the Cliff Adams Singers iirc. 

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Being dosed with cod liver oil and national elf orange juice and the terrible Parishes Food tonic

I don’t recall the Parishes but those cod liver oil capsules were vile if one split. 

25 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Is it a duck with a speech impediment? :D

The ch isn't a hard sound, think along the lines of Llangollen, It's a soft Celtic ch. I can't really think how to describe in the written word. ?

31 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Yeh try spelling quaich when you know what your looking for but don't have a clue how to spell it

There is also a Glen Quaich, between Kenmore and Amulree. 

image.png.540cf6bfc01cdd3a1d5d00c5193b2f57.png