Hammocks are for pirates...

Featured Posts

.. and "it would be silly". Says the Munchkin about having a hammock instead of a sofa (dancing is important - at the moment we have (just) enough space for that in an empty saloon).

But, if suspended between a bit of kitchen unit (proper, reasonably chunky, wood - not pre-fab cabinet type stuff) and a wooden bit of gunwale lining (think chunky dado rail, and with ring aligned to some form of (presumably extant) battening behind... any reason I couldn't have a 'hang up' sofa? Does anyone else have one? There are some Le Beanocks around but not seen in person and was thinking of something just enough to get off the floor/be cuddled up in...

Why don't you just rip the kitchen unit and chunky gunwale dado rail off the wall now and sit on the floor between the piles of wreckage?  The only real difference being you won't have had to fork out for a hammock.

Maybe buy yourself some bean bags with the money you saved?

• Greenie 1

I've also contemplated having a hammock on the boat. Had them in houses and in gardens before now. My worry has been the risk of pulling the lining away from the cabin sides. For strength you'd want to attach direct to the steel work, then you either need to weld a mounting point, or have a hole to bolt through. There is then a cold bit of steel projecting in to the cabin to collect and drip condensation. Not something I've gone any further with due to all this.  A suspended sofa would run in to similar problems I reckon. Only practical if suspended from the steel roof.

Edited to add. Just Googled Le Beanock. Very nice and comfy looking, but need some structural mods to the boat, so not for me. Can't your dancing be on the sofa too? ?

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Why don't you just rip the kitchen unit and chunky gunwale dado rail off the wall now and sit on the floor between the piles of wreckage?  The only real difference being you won't have had to fork out for a hammock.

Maybe buy yourself some bean bags with the money you saved?

Giggles. I wasn't planning to do much sitting myself (hence hammock idea). Would be guests (elderly ones I feel obligated to provide seating for) in the wreckage...

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

49 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I am really not convinced a hammock would work as a sofa, they're beds, there is an art to lying in them without them spitting you out onto the floor, an art that doesn't include sitting on them with legs dangling over the edge.

Beanbags... 

You can get chair versions - I was looking at an expensive suspended beanbag version which @Jen-in-Wellieshas linked to. Someone on a NB near me is selling a second hand one. Unsure if they are also selling remains of woodwork they've ripped off their lining/are just very light/found a suitable means of attachement

12 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

And just to add - what dance? Tango, Waltz, Ciroc? traditional English Folk? I quite fancy a ceilidh on a narrow boat...

(Argentine) tango, waltz (rarely), cEroc (with anyone), (various national) folk dances. Primarily ballet practice (barre) as exercise. Both the end of the kitchen worktop and the dinette (which is on a sort of platform) are good heights for that ?

Edited to add: plus a bit of salsa

I mean, you wouldn't get a whole morris team in there but you can move at present - certainly as good as you get on a crowded dance floor in a club!

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

45 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I quite fancy a ceilidh on a narrow boat...

Well, that would certainly be interesting and might confuse any walkers on the towpath. ?

Much as I like a good reel, you might need a Duke of Perth rather than a Dashing White Sergeant lest everybody all fall over themselves ?, A Gay Gordons would need really teeny weeny steps and you couldn't go off course at the twirly bits or you might face plant into a wall, but if every one all stood really close you could probably pull off a Strip the Willow with out too much incident. Could you make sure you film it all though cos that I really want to see. :D

ETA - But you could swap Country Dancing for Highland and then you could Sword Dance and Hornpipe with out much ado. 

Edited by Tumshie
spelling

Hammocks are comfortable to sleep in. There were still a couple of ships in the Grey Funnel line when I was a member that had them and we were all trained how to get in/out and sleep in them at Pier Cellars. I in fact trained some trogs there before I left the mob.

Edited by mrsmelly

1 hour ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Giggles. I wasn't planning to do much sitting myself (hence hammock idea). Would be guests (elderly ones I feel obligated to provide seating for) in the wreckage...

The old dodgers won't be able to manage a 'mick anyway, so I'm still voting for bean bags. Easy to chuck out of the way when you get the urge for a hornpipe; comfy if you do need to sit down while you catch your breath. Keep the hammock for the sleeping quarters - although you do realise it's still not a good idea to involve a hammock in other "urges", right? ;)

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Criminal Record or Channel 5 show?

If he was a live 95 year old you might have an idea to sell there, but not sure about an ex 79 year old who has had 16 years in the ground!

Hang on though, is there much less interesting about "I'm a cadaver, get me out of here" than other shows of similar name...?

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

The old dodgers won't be able to manage a 'mick anyway, so I'm still voting for bean bags. Easy to chuck out of the way when you get the urge for a hornpipe; comfy if you do need to sit down while you catch your breath. Keep the hammock for the sleeping quarters - although you do realise it's still not a good idea to involve a hammock in other "urges", right? ;)

Most specifically because the last time E that occurred I was seated in the hammock on the veranda (yes, it is possible) and the gentleman concerned was kneeling when his mum arrived. (We'd stayed 'home' because my luggage had got lost and was due to be delivered... All I can say is I wasn't expecting to be glad that I _wasn't_ wearing her dress...)  

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Well, that would certainly be interesting and might confuse any walkers on the towpath. ?

Surely only if we indulge whilst on the tug deck? Otherwise they really shouldn't be peaking through the portholes seeing us scottiche and chasse

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

You could probably pull off a Strip the Willow with out too much incident.

That would get the gongoozlers excited....

Edited by magpie patrick

6 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Surely only if we indulge whilst on the tug deck? Otherwise they really shouldn't be peaking through the portholes seeing us scottiche and chasse

Very noisy things, ceilidhs. Lots of whooping and cheering. Those Americans got their Yee Haws from somewhere. :D