What can I melt a (plastic tub thing) dehumidifier with?

Featured Posts

Found I had inherited a bunch of plastic tub dehumidifier things (they each take a big round pill thing which eventually dissolves)... Thought the boat may as well have them.

Will pop under dampish bits for sure. Wasn't sure about one in engine area (modern kind of trad so basically a pit under a moderately substantial internal gang plank which is semi-removable for access) as

a) we use hatch for entrance/egress (although not currently cruising - am doing that with other boat)

b) was worried I'd end up melting it on something - there is a webasto for hot water and heating which we do have on sometimes...

In fact, that probably answers question. Looks basically dry (when peering over side of plank to retrieve personal effects I've dropped in there) so may regard it as self-de-humidifying and stop faffing.

Putting a dehumidifier in the engine space might suck all the coolant out of the engine, especially if you happen to leave the filler cap off, likewise the water from your water tank causing a drought and creating great thirst. :)

14 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Putting a dehumidifier in the engine space might suck all the coolant out of the engine, especially if you happen to leave the filler cap off, likewise the water from your water tank causing a drought and creating great thirst. :)

Not to mention emptying the pound...

24 minutes ago, bizzard said:

But fortunately I never start the engine (except to charge my iPhone when in FB flame war around 11:36pm - I do not move my boat becasue it is 15min from the pub  I have self-diagnosed 'issues' and so am getting away with being in flagrant breech of my license obligations) and the pub canal herbal brew takes care of my thirst

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Not to mention emptying the pound...

That is fine. I'm in a desirable location so no one actually cruises. The 99p store are undercutting them anyway.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The discharge tube could be aimed back into the pound to keep the balance equal. :closedeyes:

See, you didn't understand my beautifully crafted OP... 'tis nothing so effective as that. It is the cassette version!

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat
Actually really: Unibond 'humidity absorber' apparently

1 minute ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

See, you didn't understand my beautifully crafted OP... 'tis nothing so effective as that. It is the cassette version!

Ah! the cassette toilet. That won't require much emptying either with the dehumidifier, everyone needs one, good idea.

22 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Ah! the cassette toilet. That won't require much emptying either with the dehumidifier, everyone needs one, good idea.

Then you would have to brush up on your maths to remove the dried residue. Work it out with a pencil. 

17 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Ah, no, I'm in a desireable location so trying to do my bit for equality (and, like, the environment, you know) by crapping in a plastic bag, adding sawdust and popping it straight into a towpath bin.

You could do it in the middle of the road, sprinkle a bit of hay on it to pretend a horse had done it.

11 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Then you would have to brush up on your maths to remove the dried residue. Work it out with a pencil

Could I recommend some fiber in your diet

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

Cut out the middle mammal and put it straight on the roses

Make sure you're up to date with the tetanus shot