Sunk boat near Braunston Tunnel..

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Came across this really sad sight of this boat right by Braunston Tunnel over Christmas/New Year period.  Apparently it was a gas explosion/fire?  Does anyone know anything about it - did everyone get out ok??

vlcsnap-2020-01-22-11h48m44s973.png.fb4a36464599b9552c5db9524c7663da.pngvlcsnap-2020-01-22-11h48m51s293.png.5836840174331797d7db428b8696afdf.pngCame across a

vlcsnap-2020-01-22-11h42m23s394.png

Edited by robtheplod
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Always sad to see a sight like this.

I sincerely hope that nobody was hurt but we should all use this as a reminder how important it is to ensure our boats are as safe as possible. 

Have you got a smoke alarm and when did you last test it? 

Do you have two exits from your boat that are available for you to use and the routes to them are not cluttered?

If nothing else if someone reads this and thinking about having an escape plan saves their life then that is forum etiquette enough for the post to stay as far as I am concerned. 

I gave you a greenie for that. I hope that doesn't make me a virtue signalling snowflake. 

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

Always sad to see a sight like this.

I sincerely hope that nobody was hurt but we should all use this as a reminder how important it is to ensure our boats are as safe as possible. 

Have you got a smoke alarm and when did you last test it? 

Do you have two exits from your boat that are available for you to use and the routes to them are not cluttered?

If nothing else if someone reads this and thinking about having an escape plan saves their life then that is forum etiquette enough for the post to stay as far as I am concerned. 

We enter the boat at the stern as a general rule. First thing we do when we arrive is one of us unlocks the security bar on the bow doors. Then we turn on gas and electric masters. However, accidents do happen, most are avoidable with the gift of hindsight.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I gave you a greenie for that. I hope that doesn't make me a virtue signalling snowflake. 

Nope, have a carrot. 

Black humour is sign of high intelligence, study suggests. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jan/29/dark-humour-high-intelligence-study

I wonder if the professionally offended voted Brexit? 

Edited by Jim Riley

5 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

I wonder if the professionally offended voted Brexit? 

But you will wonder no more in this (non-political) thread, please!

A couple of salient points:

- Jan, of course emphasising a basic and crucial safety precaution doesn't breach any sort of forum etiquette. I shouldn't think that anyone on CWDF would leave an escape route locked from outside while they were in the boat, but you never know, and such a reminder is most welcome.

- There has been some criticism of the removal of speculation about a canal death, reported in another thread. Some members feel that such speculation is O.K., others feel that it isn't. Now, as it happens, yesterday I was going through some of my old private message threads and deleting them. I came across one, on this very subject, from October 2018. On that occasion it was decided that speculation would be inappropriate. I was involved in the conversation but I'm pretty sure it wasn't me that made the decision. So when, a few days ago, I mentioned that I thought there had been a precedent, I'd remembered correctly. However, it MAY have been that someone connected with the deceased had contacted CWDF and asked that such speculation cease. The P.M. thread is now deleted so I can't say for certain.

May I suggest that someone opens a new thread to discuss the matter? There are obviously feelings on both sides and it would be instructive to discover members' views.

Of course, in an ideal world, people would always be careful and no such tragic incidents would occur, but I fear that this is over-optimistic.

I posted this on a FB group when it happened....I don't think anyone was on it....the police were apparently asking around the pubs and other boats for the owner.

Interesting looking at the pictures that the damage pattern suggests the stove was the cause of the fire but there is a tin cap on the chimney....i wonder if the owner forgot the tin and opened the firedoor fully because it wasn't drawing well.....then it all took off especially if they were off the boat?

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

But you will wonder no more in this (non-political) thread, please!

???? Fair do's, however there was a similar comment in another thread which didn't attract attention. Consistency is all. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

???? Fair do's, however there was a similar comment in another thread which didn't attract attention. Consistency is all. 

Neither I nor my colleagues have the time to read every post in every thread. We try to be consistent but we can't be ubiquitous. 

But do P.M. me and tell me where to find it.

Just now, David Mack said:

You didn't seem to find gallows humour a problem in that thread.

As I have, as mentioned just now, no idea which thread it was, I'm unable to comment.

Go on,.gizza clue.

7 minutes ago, Grahamnewman said:

At the time of the incident the Police said it was arson. Nobody injured.

That's interesting as when we went past it there was a gentleman looking at the boat, who shouted "check your gas everyday, this what happened here". 

8 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Do you know what will happen to it?  are these things salvageable when they have obviously got very hot indeed?

Well, the same thing happened to this one (very apt name) and they go the knacker yard for sale to people looking for a project.

Methley Bridge Boatyard 50ft steel narrowboat built 2005 & powered by Beta 38hp diesel engine. Suffering serious fire damage and consequent distortion. Lying Near Sutton Cheney, Leics £2000  

http://www.boatwrecks.com/power.asp

warmglow.jpg

"Tis but a scratch"

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Do you know what will happen to it?  are these things salvageable when they have obviously got very hot indeed?

Terry Darlington's boat Phillis May that featured in his book "Narrow Dog to Carcassone" was set alight by a fault on a neighbouring boat, and looked like this....

new_bo2.jpg

It was acquired by the late Keith Ball at Industry Narrowboats, who stripped much of the cabin off a hul that i think was largely undamaged.  It reappeared as a boat with portholes and quite a long tug deck at the front.

If not beyond economic repair, they tend to go on to have a second life.

Edited by alan_fincher