Are 230v 3 pin sockets allowed in narrowboat bathrooms ?

Featured Posts

Just now, PaulD said:

But it is the creation of the technical file that leads to the declaration of conformity or incorporation. 

But the technical file is not seen by the boat buyer (although it must be retained by the manufacturer for (I think) ten years in case of investigation.

The manual should contain the declaration of conformity (basically builders signature of compliance)

This is what I got with my boat (I cannot attach a copy because the forum does not allow Pdf's)

Screenshot (53).png

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

The regs state that there should be no mains, sockets or lights/switches in reach of a person using a fixed bath or shower, impossible in a boat.

Perfectly possible. All three of mine comply as none has any mains electricity.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

Is this actually a 240V ac socket? It is quite common to see the small round pin 5A mains type plugs and sockets used for 12V dc on boats. Best used with the 12V wired across the earth and neutral pins so there's no problem if a 12V boat appliance is accidentally plugged into a socket on land which is wired at 240V ac.

3 hours ago, Bod said:

Another huge NO-NO!

Bod

Maybe, but it is done and has been discussed here before. And since there doesn't seem to be any alternative 12V plug and socket system which is suitable for use in a domestic situation, reasonable looking, widely available etc. you can see why people do it.

Edited by David Mack

18 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Maybe, but it is done and has been discussed here before. And since there doesn't seem to be any alternative 12V plug and socket system which is suitable for use in a domestic situation, reasonable looking, widely available etc. you can see why people do it.

XLR connectors. There is (sort of) a wiring standard for 24V and they're good for up to 15 A if you pick the right ones.

5 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

XLR connectors. There is (sort of) a wiring standard for 24V and they're good for up to 15 A if you pick the right ones.

May be suitable technically, and OK in an industrial or laboratory situation. But the apoearance isn't really suitable for a domestic environment. And all the plugs are quite long, with the wire coming out of the back where it will often be in the way, unlike a domestic mains plug (square or round pin) where the wire comes out parallel to the wall.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

May be suitable technically, and OK in an industrial or laboratory situation. But the apoearance isn't really suitable for a domestic environment. And all the plugs are quite long, with the wire coming out of the back where it will often be in the way, unlike a domestic mains plug (square or round pin) where the wire comes out parallel to the wall.

https://www.parts-express.com/Data/Default/Images/Catalog/Original/092-027_HR_0.jpg

52 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I have a 240VAC socket in my bathroom.  Looking at the arrangement dispassionately, I judge it to be safe - provided that no gentlemen attempt to piss on the ceiling.

It isn't just the socket that's the problem. It's what you plug into it -  like the hairdryer with the insulating tape round the cable repair or the CD player balanced above the bath. Ceiling ?? Once upon a time! 

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

I have a 240VAC socket in my bathroom.  Looking at the arrangement dispassionately, I judge it to be safe - provided that no gentlemen attempt to piss on the ceiling.

I was going to quote the rhyme about the "Young woman from Ealing who had a peculiar feeling" but decided discretion is the better part of valour.

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

By definition, half the population have below average intelligence ?. As for survival sense!

Statistically nonsense. Consider the hypothetical example that 80% of the population score 1 on some arbitrary scale of intelligence and 20% score 0. The average score is 0.8 and most of the population score higher than the average.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/5a-fused-round-pin-plug-white/22877

Sockets are available from the same place.

Bod

https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-15a-white-plug/753982_BQ.prd

Even at B&Q

Edited by Bod

59 minutes ago, Bod said:

Bought my plugs and sockets in India for a few Rupees. Or ask your grannie because there are still plenty of these in use in old houses here.

6 minutes ago, PaulD said:

Bought my plugs and sockets in India for a few Rupees. Or ask your grannie because there are still plenty of these in use in old houses here.

We use them at home for dimmable standard lamps on a separate circuit to stop someone plugging something inappropriate in.

Thanks for all the input.

Personally I would replace/resite existing cabling and clips.

Relocate and replace sockets/spurs with water/dust resistant type (possibly integral RCD ?) pretty cheap £15-30

Test all cabling sections and earth/insulation.

Tidy up and use cable tray/conduit where appropriate and or cable vanity panels.

Cannot stand looking at arctic blue cable which has been surface mounted with plastic nail in clips at eye level. Would drive me bonkers.

This is not an exhaustive list but, you get the gist.

Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated.

1 hour ago, Paddlin Panda said:

Relocate and replace sockets/spurs with water/dust resistant type (possibly integral RCD ?)

You really don’t want cascaded RCDs. Just the one in the CU will be fine. There’ll be another on the bollard anyway. 

12 hours ago, Paddlin Panda said:

Relocate and replace sockets/spurs with water/dust resistant type (possibly integral RCD ?) pretty cheap £15-30

This is what I did in a very similar situation so that the twin tub washer could drain in to the bath. One of these. Just one RCD on the consumer unit in the boat.

Jen