Delph Developments

dave moore

Featured Posts

Living not far from the flight, I wandered down earlier to have a look at work in progress on lock 2. The team appear to be re-pointing the lock walls, chasing out old mortar. The bottom lock is receiving attention too, the chamber covered with sheeting, while a gantry by the head of the lock suggests a change of gate.

I couldn’t help but compare the equipment in use to that of the 60s on the restoration of the nearby Stourbridge 16, where I worked as a teenage volunteer. No safety fencing, wheelbarrows across planks straddling the lock chamber and tripod sheerlegs to install gates. Truly, a different world!  

84E9D396-93CA-4C7B-B9FB-2131FEB0A14A.jpeg

• Greenie 4

I suppose it not just about stopping folks falling in, its also about stopping folks nicking plant and scaffolding overnight, making jobs easier, creating a standard operating system so contractors appointed can just subcontractor it to others who havnt a clue about canals and just turn up and read the instructions...

I agree in principle that modern practices are much better then old practices. Everyone has a right to return home ok at the end of a shift.

However - the paperwork side has gone a bit bonkers.

We spend so much time writing out individual works and task procedures <RAMS> for things our skilled chaps have spent a liftime doing (the same tasks).

Not only that - our highly qualified Engineers often have to sit down for 4 hour bespoke  "inductions" on some building sites when the single visit task takes 30 mins - often use of only a wrench and screwdriver, then we leave.

I do sometimes despair.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 2

21 hours ago, mark99 said:

I agree in principle that modern practices are much better then old practices. Everyone has a right to return home ok at the end of a shift.

However - the paperwork side has gone a bit bonkers.

We spend so much time writing out individual works and task procedures <RAMS> for things our skilled chaps have spent a liftime doing (the same tasks).

Not only that - our highly qualified Engineers often have to sit down for 4 hour bespoke  "inductions" on some building sites when the single visit task takes 30 mins - often use of only a wrench and screwdriver, then we leave.

I do sometimes despair.

I agree, but regarding the time spent writing RAMS, surely most of your tasks are repetive, not unique. In which case generic RAMS are acceptable, or can be modified to suit specific cases.

Edited by cuthound