Webasto Warranty?

Stephen Jeavons

Featured Posts

Just now, Stephen Jeavons said:

On webastomarine.co.uk it says:

Only a Webasto Authorised Partner/Dealer can register and commission your Webasto Heater, and only registered heaters will be covered by the Webasto Worldwide 3 year warranty.

So, I loose any guarantee if I do it myself? 

That's what it says.

Understandable, - if it doesn't work, catches fire or whatever it could be down to incorrect installation so no warranty.

18 minutes ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

Only a Webasto Authorised Partner/Dealer can register and commission your Webasto Heater, and only registered heaters will be covered by the Webasto Worldwide 3 year warranty.

Don't worry they only charge obscenely for doing it. I bought two cracking webasto from a bloke on ebay and keep one as a spare. Working faultlessly still into its 3rd winter. Just swop over and send for very cheap service every couple of years if u want. 

On 21/01/2020 at 12:59, Stephen Jeavons said:

When I bought mine as a retail sale, it was 2years warranty extended to 3 if above was complied with.

Edited by Chewbacka

12 years ago our Webasto, fitted by the builders, failed. I had an authorised dealer repair it and was told then that Webasto did not offer a warranty for liveaboard use. After some argument Webasto paid for the parts and we paid labour. 

Snow on the ground and we had no heating. Had a stove installed before the next winter.

49 minutes ago, pearley said:

I had an authorised dealer repair it and was told then that Webasto did not offer a warranty for liveaboard use.

Sounds like a cop-out. The only difference between casual boater and liveaboard in this context is that the Webasto will be used more with the latter. It makes the product sound iffy if they'll only warranty it for occasional use. Does it come with a restricted duty cycle? 

19 minutes ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

Sounds like a cop-out. The only difference between casual boater and liveaboard in this context is that the Webasto will be used more with the latter. It makes the product sound iffy if they'll only warranty it for occasional use. Does it come with a restricted duty cycle? 

I seem to recall at the time when we were still using 'dirtier' red diesel that they didn't like continuous running. Being originally made for trucks, in that use it would be cleaner diesel like what we use now.

12 hours ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

Where did you buy yours and when?

I got it here - Butler Technik a few months ago, very are very helpful, so give them a call to clarify their warranty conditions.

They also have an excellent downloads section.

www.butlertechnik.com

you may find this useful - 

https://pbautoelectrics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Webasto-Warranty-Documentation-December-2019_opt.pdf

Edited by Chewbacka

14 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I got it here - Butler Technik a few months ago, very are very helpful, so give them a call to clarify their warranty conditions.

They also have an excellent downloads section.

www.butlertechnik.com

you may find this useful - 

https://pbautoelectrics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Webasto-Warranty-Documentation-December-2019_opt.pdf

Many thanks for the info. I still have a few other jobs pending before I get round to doing the diesel heater but will be sure to contact these guys based on your recommendation

9 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

If you rely on your Webasto, it makes sense to have an alternative that does not rely on battery power or sensitive electronics. A solid fuel or drip diesel alternative is a necessity.

I'm okay on that score as my res-mooring has full domestic 60A mains. I have a 32A shore line and use a 3kW electric flow boiler for heating and hot water (by-passes the inverter). The Webasto will only be used when cruising.

Thanks for all the help guys

Stephen

22 minutes ago, WotEver said:

How does that work then? Just curious. 

Three moorings here, each has a cabinet with smart meter and usual domestic power board with double pole master switch, RCD and MCB's.

Pay for electricity directly to utility company. Same setup as in any house. (Each boat has a street address and mailbox)

Edited by Stephen Jeavons

45 minutes ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

Three moorings here, each has a cabinet with smart meter and usual domestic power board with double pole master switch, RCD and MCB's.

Pay for electricity directly to utility company. Same setup as in any house. (Each boat has a street address and mailbox)

No, I meant a 60A supply with only a 32A shore power cable. 

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

No, I meant a 60A supply with only a 32A shore power cable. 

It's not that different to having a 100A supply to a house and discussing one of the 6A lighting circuits coming off it. 

Just because the bollard has a 60A rated connection doesn't mean you have to use it all.

Steven said that his *mooring* has a 60A supply, and that his *boat* has a 32A shorepower connection. 

1 minute ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

So long as I don't exceed 60A I can draw as little current as I need. 32A more than covers my needs.

Most marinas only over 16A which limits your usage to around 3kW

Ahh ok. I’ve seen lumpy boats with two shore power cables in order to take advantage of available shore power. That’s why I was wondering if you had two but were only using the one. 

25 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Ahh ok. I’ve seen lumpy boats with two shore power cables in order to take advantage of available shore power. That’s why I was wondering if you had two but were only using the one. 

Yes, I could run an extra cable if I needed to and did consider doing so at one point when I was installing the flow boiler as it was a 6kW unit. However the Isolation transformer is rated at 7kW and I didn't want to gobble up all its capacity with the central heating or have to by-pass the IT. Instead I de-tuned the boiler (it has two heating elements so I disconnected one making it a 3kW unit). This left more than enough capacity for the rest of the boat (4kW). I find 3kW adequately heats the 3 radiators as well as the calorifier. ?