Canal Plan ac

Knighty

Featured Posts

Morning everyone, could I just ask what the general opinion is on the time accuracies of this great site, it’s only that having planned an out and back  on the SU from Autherly Wharf with the Cheshire Cat PH the turning point ( I know the WH is a little further on) using Nicholson map mile markers and locks, it’s showing my calls are well  out. 7 days on the cut btw. 

An example would be first part day to Wheaton Aston I’d calculated 2.5 hours, but CPac says a lot longer?

Canal plan says 3 hours and 19 minutes from Autherley Wharf to Wheaton Aston.  I'd say that's probably closer than your estimate.  Boat trips tend to take longer than expected.  By the time you've cast off, slowed down for moored boats, pulled something off your prop, queued for the lock etc. I'd say go with the canal plan estimate and be pleased if you do it quicker.  Don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself to keep to a schedule which you may not be able to keep.

I think the default is set to 2.5mph which was about right for a long narrowboat on a shallow narrow canal and in no hurry but in a little GRP boat 3.5 to 4 is more accurate. Then again I would factor in longer times at locks for being single handed.  All these preferences are customisable down to setting speeds on different types of waterways.  (Click 'Preferences', then the 'Speeds' tab). As OP notes, it is a great site and it will be accurate if a user goes at the speeds they set. If the timings are out it is the boater who has under/over estimated their speed.

1 hour ago, Knighty said:

An example would be first part day to Wheaton Aston I’d calculated 2.5 hours, but CPac says a lot longer?

How did you calculate this? 

Canalplan has its own default speeds and lock times for different types of canal and lock. You can alter these to your own values if you like, but I have found the defaults to be reasonably accurate.

On narrow canals the speed limit is 4mph, but it is rarely possible to achieve this over any distance ( unless you are hell-bent on creating a huge wash, eroding banks and shaking up other craft). Istr the default speed is 2.5mph which is much more reasonable, which allows for generally lower speed , slowing down for moored boats, bridges etc.

Also, expect the unexpected

No book, app or program can take into account moored boats, queues at popular locks, fishing matches, fallen trees, rubbish round the prop, mechanical issues with your boat etc.

Use any plan as a rough guide, and don't panic if you're not on schedule, on an out and back just make sure you know when you're halfway on your allotted time so know when to turn and return.

On our last week out last year we had a lovely trip planned from our old marina up onto the Bridgewater and back, as we left Big Lock at Middlewich I put a few revs on only to find no increase in propulsion which turned out to be a snapped throttle cable. The ensuing wait for RCR cost us the rest of the day and ultimately meant we did not reach the Bridgewater but only Dutton Stop Lock. Still had a great trip though :)

• Greenie 1

It depends totally on the speeds and lock times that you set, you will get an accurate result based on those numbers.  I use 2.2 mph and 10 min per lock on a narrow canal, which gives

This is a trip of 7.85 miles and 1 lock from Autherley Wharf to Wheaton Aston Winding Hole travelling northwest on the Shropshire Union Canal (Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal - Main Line).

This will take 3 hours and 44 minutes.

I leave canal plan on the defaults and either arrive earlier than expected or travel further if plenty of time in hand.  Trips are never planned to the minute so canal plan is only used to give a rough idea of minimum distances needed to cover each day.

13 hours ago, Knighty said:

Morning everyone, could I just ask what the general opinion is on the time accuracies of this great site, it’s only that having planned an out and back  on the SU from Autherly Wharf with the Cheshire Cat PH the turning point ( I know the WH is a little further on) using Nicholson map mile markers and locks, it’s showing my calls are well  out. 7 days on the cut btw. 

In my experience it is slightly pessimistic with the time it allows for locks and is slightly optimistic when calculating miles.  On an average day the two offset each other, but on Tardebigge days we beat the clock, and on Wolverhampton Level days we get behind.  But this is boating, so who cares?  We’ll get there when we get there!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I’ve taken onboard all that has bean said and scaled back my expectations for my week on the Shroppie at Easter and perhaps aiming for Chester and back 6.5 days from Autherley Jctn was pushing it ?

2 hours ago, Knighty said:

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I’ve taken onboard all that has bean said and scaled back my expectations for my week on the Shroppie at Easter and perhaps aiming for Chester and back 6.5 days from Autherley Jctn was pushing it ?

Barbridge Junction and back would be about right if you want full days, you can always turn earlier if you get behind.

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Well, yes, but it's the unknown unknowns you really have to watch out for. ;)

as long as you account for the expected expecteds & the expected unexpecteds, the known knowns & the known unknowns. then the unexpected unexpected & unknown unknowns are a risk you can live with in an unexpected unknown kind of way ;)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

as long as you account for the expected expecteds & the expected unexpecteds, the known knowns & the known unknowns. then the unexpected unexpected & unknown unknowns are a risk you can live with in an unexpected unknown kind of way ;)

That's easy for you to say, but George W Bush never did quite get his head around the concept.