Boater missing on the Thames at Shepperton

frangar

Featured Posts

Dockett Eddy Lane near the moorings has little in the way of bankside to make it easy to get out and the watrer is very deep.  Unfortunately. Ladder (MOB) off the back is a mitigation.

Edited by mark99

From the article:

"Gary Sturgess, 60, from St Neots in Cambridgeshire, was last seen going into the water from a moored boat."

This is the only actual information in the article about what happened. All the rest is about what a lovely chap is was.

I hop nobody here speculates on how he met his end or why he went into the water. Not allowed according to Team Mod, in case a relative reads it.

• Horror 1

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

From the article:

"Gary Sturgess, 60, from St Neots in Cambridgeshire, was last seen going into the water from a moored boat."

This is the only actual information in the article about what happened. All the rest is about what a lovely chap is was.

I hop nobody here speculates on how he met his end or why he went into the water. Not allowed according to Team Mod, in case a relative reads it.

Luckily for you, sarcasm IS allowed, though some might see it as misplaced in this context.

I'm not sure that you should be hopping, either.

26 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

From the article:

And from that description it seems the 'Manchester pusher' can't be held responsible.

22 hours ago, David Mack said:

And from that description it seems the 'Manchester pusher' can't be held responsible.

Could be one of the Kingston pushers.

They all used to hang around in the Three Fishes when I went to college there back in the 70's. Oh wrong kind of pusher. ?

Edited by cuthound
To add link

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Could be one of the Kingston pushers.

They all used to hang around in the Three Fishes when I went to college there back in the 70's. Oh wrong kind of pusher. ?

I suppose they were rastas selling ganja.

Oh, wrong kind of Kingston.

Edited by Athy

Well well,..... 

See what a bit of pushy aversion therapy and discussion can do. I'm probably commenting too soon though, the soft furred rabbits have just woke ... 

Edited by Jim Riley

1 minute ago, Jim Riley said:

Well well,..... 

See what a bit of pushy aversion therapy and discussion can do. I'm probably commenting too soon though, the soft furred rabbits have just woke up... 

They have woke fullness...... A song written by the great Ken Dodd

• Haha 1

I think one of the moderators suggested (on the thread about the burnt out boat) someone start a new thread to discuss discussions (and humour) in relation to this kind of incident.

People claiming to be the family (daughter), and also someone who claims to be the initial 999 caller, are both active on social media (Facebook boater groups) and asking people to look out for the individual so he can be recovered. It seems reasonably likely they may see this thread. Which is definitely of a different tone to the ones on FB. Whether or not it is likely to offend/upset and if anyone has a right to expect it to the removed if so is a topic for the new thread I think.

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat
clarity

4 hours ago, billS said:

Why do you find the jokey comments upsetting?

Because we are sensitive and able to undersand that other people are affected and may have lost a friend or a loved one.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, billS said:

Yes- but finding something distasteful is not necessarily the same as being upset.

And therein lies the mission creep. Posting things that might 'upset' other people and does someone else finding something 'distasteful' count as upsetting them?

As we don't have a posting rule saying discussion of subjects that might upset other people is not permitted, could Team Mod please either draft one or stop doing it please? 

Much obliged...