Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
rusty69

Who stole my data?

Featured Posts

We have about six devices on our boat network. Something was using a lot of the data. I narrowed it down to my chromebook, by disconnecting all devices and connecting one at a time. 

All auto updates in the play store were disabled.I uninstalled unwanted Apps, yet it still continued. 

Fed up with the thing, I decided to do a 'powerwash', which I understand is a factory reset,thinking this would fix it. 

It still continues to munch my data at an alarming rate. 

Data is provided by an EE sim and is limited to 32GB/month.

Any ideas how I can find the culprit?

Thankyou. 

18 hours ago, David Mack said:

It could be various apps continuously syncing in the background. Does this help?

https://chromeunboxed.com/how-to-avoid-destroying-your-data-cap-when-tethering-to-a-chromebook/

Thanks. Yes, some tips there I had tried. I have since tried disabling google drive altogether, it seems to make no difference. I suspect it is some kind of operating system update. Unfortunately it has made the machine unusable for anything internet related,so I have reinstated my ancient netbook running Lubuntu.

I will have another go at the chromebook when my data has recovered a bit.

Cheers

I don't know the ins and outs of it but it is possible to enable some devices as a mobile hotspot, and some are easier to access than others. Is it possible that someone may be piggybacking off it? 

11 minutes ago, DaveP said:

Depending on the chromebook model, you may be better off installing Linux on it.  Take a gander at Gallium - https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility

It is an Asus c101. That is probably what I will end up doing if I can't resolve the problem.

ETA. According to your link, it is not compatible with Gallium.

Edited by rusty69

21 minutes ago, BWM said:

I don't know the ins and outs of it but it is possible to enable some devices as a mobile hotspot, and some are easier to access than others. Is it possible that someone may be piggybacking off it? 

I don't know.

I would have thought if the chromebook wifi is attached to the router that would not be possible (bluetooth is off). I have checked all devices MAC addresses against those listed in the router, and there are non I can't recognise.

Edited by rusty69

Take the Chromebook to your local pub with free wi-fi and let it run while you have a few beers.

• Happy 2

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Take the Chromebook to your local pub with free wi-fi and let it run while you have a few beers.

Now, that is a good idea. Why didn't I think of that!

If the factory reset has put you back to the version of the OS originally installed on the machine, it may now have a few dozen updates to re-apply.  Some of which may have to be done sequentially, with reboots etc.  Once they are all re-applied it may calm down a bit.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

If the factory reset has put you back to the version of the OS originally installed on the machine, it may now have a few dozen updates to re-apply.  Some of which may have to be done sequentially, with reboots etc.  Once they are all re-applied it may calm down a bit.

Yes. Could be that. I will have to leave it till I have a bit more data to find out, or find a local wifi hotspot.  It is a shame there is no option to choose what is updated as you can with Linux.

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Now, that is a good idea. Why didn't I think of that!

I'm using a Levono Thinkpad laptop ,Perhaps you need one.:)

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I'm using a Levono Thinkpad laptop ,Perhaps you need one.:) 

Are they similar to Lenovos puters?

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Are they similar to Lenovos puters?

The same.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The same.

Aha. A Levono finkpad. What operating system does it use. I don't like windows.

25 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Aha. A Levono finkpad. What operating system does it use. I don't like windows.

What ever you want to put on it, but they normally come with window, mine did.

It's threads like this that make me glad, that all I have is a simple mobile which sends and receives calls and texts only, Nothing else, and I hardly ever use it.

I know !  image.png.5b3719c468c4ab3e4c3fc7d9c99d2978.png

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

It's threads like this that make me glad, that all I have is a simple mobile which sends and receives calls and texts only, Nothing else, and I hardly ever use it.

I know !  image.png.5b3719c468c4ab3e4c3fc7d9c99d2978.png

This not a phone though, and the Internet connection is not a landline. Admittedly if you have an unlimited Internet connection it is not so much of a problem. 

Eta. Is that a Brachiosaurus...

Or a sore-ipod? 

Edited by rusty69

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I would have thought if the chromebook wifi is attached to the router that would not be possible

I think you're right - the Chromebook supports only one WiFi connection; it can either connect to the router or it can be a hotspot - but not both at the same time.

Well,its finally stopped eating all my data. Don't know why. Now Linux (beta) won't install. I don't think I will bother with another chromebook.

25 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Come back @Robbo You have been absent a whole year,I need you, come back.........

Once in a while someone posts something on an old thread and I see Robbo's avatar pop up and I think "Oh he's back" :) and then I see the date and think "Oh, he's not":(. It happened the other day. 

9 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Once in a while someone posts something on an old thread and I see Robbo's avatar pop up and I think "Oh he's back" :) and then I see the date and think "Oh, he's not":(. It happened the other day. 

@Robbo gone but not ....erm

Forgotten.